Van Coleman Updates Jok's morning performance at NBA Players Camp

Those are good points. Jok is kinda in a 50/50, gray area right now. On the plus side, he has potential to be tremendous with hard work and some good luck, and Fran will be an evaluating genius. On the down side, he has an injury riddled career and can't cash in on his "projected potential". In this scenario Coach's recruiting skills are doubted.

What would you do??

Again, this is pretty straight-forward.
Jok's doctors have said he should be improving thru the summer.
Fran continues to recruit him thru that period and monitors his progress.
If he continues his progress,Fran can take that to mean the docs are right.
And clearly if he gets back to 100% he is a high level player,who is instate,at a position that Iowa needs to fill with Gatens and May graduating this year and next,so Fran grabs him,unless someone better wants to commit now.

Again, this is pretty straight-forward.
Jok's doctors have said he should be improving thru the summer.
Fran continues to recruit him thru that period and monitors his progress.
If he continues his progress,Fran can take that to mean the docs are right.
And clearly if he gets back to 100% he is a high level player,who is instate,at a position that Iowa needs to fill with Gatens and May graduating this year and next,so Fran grabs him,unless someone better wants to commit now.

I generally agree with this. My point is that if you wait until he's absolutely, positively, 100%, he very likely won't be there. Also, if someone like Matthews doesn't give a hint of a future visit by September, that's probably not happening either.

i have actually had the thought that has kind of talked myself into jok. right now i see him as a taller version of ogelsby with better upside (if he heals). i think josh will be the biggest surprise in how good he is this yr. he has defensive ability and a great shot. if jok can give us what jo (i think) will this yr plus the upside possiblities than i am all for it.

deondre is not a very good basketball player in the high major sense. it woudl be silly for him to pass up football unless he really does not like playing.

deondre is not a very good basketball player in the high major sense. it woudl be silly for him to pass up football unless he really does not like playing.

i believe he made a comment that he enjoys basketball more and wants to play it in college. i look at him as similar to may with better skills. could be a great football player and average basketball player but i would never fault a kid for playing the one he prefers even if he is better at a different game.

I generally agree with this. My point is that if you wait until he's absolutely, positively, 100%, he very likely won't be there. Also, if someone like Matthews doesn't give a hint of a future visit by September, that's probably not happening either.

This. Iowa is in a low-risk situation right now. Jok not panning out won't hurt the program much, if at all, right now. And if he DOES reach his potential, then Fran has his superstar to bring the Hawks back to the promised land.

i have actually had the thought that has kind of talked myself into jok. right now i see him as a taller version of ogelsby with better upside (if he heals). i think josh will be the biggest surprise in how good he is this yr. he has defensive ability and a great shot. if jok can give us what jo (i think) will this yr plus the upside possiblities than i am all for it.

This is my evaluation of Jok right now too. With the attention Matthews (from MI) is getting from MI (attending their camp), MSU, IN... if he doesn't show interest in us soon, he won't be a Hawk. Right now, today, not in a possible future but today, Jok's got as good a shot as Josh and as good a handle, in a 6'7" body. How many kids that we are recruiting can actually make that claim? If Jok shows that he's healing, not that he's immediately regaining his explosiveness, but healing, then he's certainly worth an offer.

This. Iowa is in a low-risk situation right now. Jok not panning out won't hurt the program much, if at all, right now. And if he DOES reach his potential, then Fran has his superstar to bring the Hawks back to the promised land.

Why do you feel this way? Is it because Iowa is finally approaching what almost every other team has, a full roster?

A team coming off a 18-17 season with an NIT bid that only has 1 scholarship to offer needs to be careful how they use it. I know Iowa has some talent coming in but so does every other B1G team and some have better. If I am Fran I would need some kind of assurance that he can fully recover from his injuries both physically and mentally before giving him that final scholly. Otherwise I am going to look for someone that can contribute right away and help the team win game.

Why do you feel this way? Is it because Iowa is finally approaching what almost every other team has, a full roster?

A team coming off a 18-17 season with an NIT bid that only has 1 scholarship to offer needs to be careful how they use it. I know Iowa has some talent coming in but so does every other B1G team and some have better. If I am Fran I would need some kind of assurance that he can fully recover from his injuries both physically and mentally before giving him that final scholly. Otherwise I am going to look for someone that can contribute right away and help the team win game.

I feel this way for two reasons.

1. Iowa has a strong (and large) incoming class coming in.
2. When you have just one ship to give, it's not going to break you if you whiff. People don't seem too concerned about Iowa's depth this year, even though Eric May is the only senior on the team (and he hasn't exactly had a brilliant career). I don't see Jok bringing any less than May has.

A little prospective here....
It's amazing what Fran has done with the depth of this team in such a short time where we can talk about taking a risk on a guy with the remaining scholly where just a short couple of years ago Iowa was in no position to make a risky call like this. No question Fran is the man!

A little prospective here....
It's amazing what Fran has done with the depth of this team in such a short time where we can talk about taking a risk on a guy with the remaining scholly where just a short couple of years ago Iowa was in no position to make a risky call like this. No question Fran is the man!

Just to nit-pick a little.

Iowa was definitely in a position to take risks like this a couple years ago (see: Hubbard). But the risk would have been taken out of necessity. But now (I think) Fran can take the risk, simply because he can.

I feel this way for two reasons.

1. Iowa has a strong (and large) incoming class coming in.
2. When you have just one ship to give, it's not going to break you if you whiff. People don't seem too concerned about Iowa's depth this year, even though Eric May is the only senior on the team (and he hasn't exactly had a brilliant career). I don't see Jok bringing any less than May has.

Normally I would agree with you if Iowa was coming off a NCAA Tournament bid, not a NIT bid with 2 previous 20 loss seasons before last season. There are no guarantees that any of these incoming freshman are not whiffs or some of the existing scholarship players on the roster.

Again, if I am Fran I need something a little more than a hope of a home run. If you give me the choice of a home run or bust player versus someone that you know will contribute and be a good player for 4 years I am taking the safe choice. Just because Fran made the NIT last season he is not out of the woods just yet, get Iowa back to the NCAA then you can think about taking chances. If Fran feels Jok is healthy and will give the team the best chance to win then give him the scholarship.

Fran swung for the fence with Hubbard and struck out, he swung for the fence taking a chance on Olaseni, and he took a chance on Aaron White. So far, unless Olaseni shows major improvement, I have him down as 1 out of 3. IMO for the 2012 class only Gesell and Woodbury were safe choices. None of us know for sure if Meyer, Clemmons, or Ingram can play effectively in the B1G.

Normally I would agree with you if Iowa was coming off a NCAA Tournament bid, not a NIT bid with 2 previous 20 loss seasons before last season. There are no guarantees that any of these incoming freshman are not whiffs or some of the existing scholarship players on the roster.

Again, if I am Fran I need something a little more than a hope of a home run. If you give me the choice of a home run or bust player versus someone that you know will contribute and be a good player for 4 years I am taking the safe choice. Just because Fran made the NIT last season he is not out of the woods just yet, get Iowa back to the NCAA then you can think about taking chances. If Fran feels Jok is healthy and will give the team the best chance to win then give him the scholarship.

Fran swung for the fence with Hubbard and struck out, he swung for the fence taking a chance on Olaseni, and he took a chance on Aaron White. So far, unless Olaseni shows major improvement, I have him down as 1 out of 3. IMO for the 2012 class only Gesell and Woodbury were safe choices. None of us know for sure if Meyer, Clemmons, or Ingram can play effectively in the B1G.

From what I've seen of Jok in videos, I don't see a complete bust. At the very least, he gives Iowa a good outside shooter, and one with much better handles and finishing ability than Bawinkel. He'd be able to contribute without being a superstar. But I think he'll be more than that.

We keep hearing he's a tremendous shooter. Looks like this year HS season he was 22/59 (37.3%) from 3 and 70/156 (44.9%) overall. Doesn't blow me away.

None of us know if Clemmons, Meyer and Ingram can play in the B1G, but the people that get paid to be college coaches do know. There will be know whiffs in the incoming class and all will play effectively. Jok is a low risk gamble. If he is healthy and continues to develop he will be very good, if not, we didn't bank the whole program on him.

I understand what you're saying about Hubbard, but really there was no real harm done. It's not like he tied up a scholarship for two years sitting on the bench. Given some of the recruits that we experienced with the two previous coaches, I think Coach McCaffery has been almost perfect. Cartwright certainly panned out as did White and Olgesby, at least in the sense that they proved they could play in the Big Ten. Olesani is still a work in progress, but I would almost bet that he becomes a regular contributor before too long. I guess we'll have to wait and see with this year's crop, but everything I've heard about all of them has been pretty positive. I think that Jok is a big enough prize that if he looks like his knee problems are behind him, then he is worth a shot.

If he is truly at 85% right now then he is no where close to a high level recruit.

His videos show zero explosiveness and not just in the jumping department but in general all around movement. No quickness.

Just being a tall jumpshooter might be good enough to earn a scholly but its not going to make you a highly sought after prospect.

Last edited:

I completely agree.

We have one scholly to give, whats the appeal of settling for taking a risk? Makes no sense.

Why not go after a bunch of legitimate big time recruits and see if you can get one to bite rather than taking a guy who is most likely going to be average.

Or atleast take Morgan who is the same height, a better shooter, quicker, a better athlete and has interest from other big ten schools.

Latest posts