Van Coleman Updates Jok's morning performance at NBA Players Camp

you know, normally i'd say to pass, just not worth the risk of him not panning out...

but, with a pretty solid class coming in, we might be able to swing for the fences and afford to miss on a recruit. i'll defer to fran on this one, but would personally much rather get a kid without so much injury questions.

Iowa is only going to get one recruit in this class, no matter who they bring in. One recruit isn't going to break the program at this point. But with Jok's potential, he could MAKE it.

Iowa is only going to get one recruit in this class, no matter who they bring in. One recruit isn't going to break the program at this point. But with Jok's potential, he could MAKE it.

Agreed. This team will not be desperate for talent.

And as much as I sometimes minimize this angle, I still think it's important we keep the top talent from within our borders...at home. That will build the IOWA bball brand and Fran's profile within the state.

Agreed. This team will not be desperate for talent.And as much as I sometimes minimize this angle, I still think it's important we keep the top talent from within our borders...at home. That will build the IOWA bball brand and Fran's profile within the state.

I agree. Keeping Iowa's best recruits at Iowa is very important. Barnes and Paige and McDermott have left and we need to break that trend. We especially need to keep most of the IC and CR stars at Iowa. Sure, we will lose one occasionally that wants to move away from home, but we need to keep Jok and at least one of the IC West players in-state. It is very important to rebuild the desire for all Iowans to want to be a Hawkeye!

Can Iowa legally bring Jok in for a physical examination? Not sure about the NCAA regulations.

humm, i doubt that. but hopefully Mr Horner will be giving Fran the honest inside scoop, he certainly could be our biggest asset to steer us away if things don't look good.

I agree. Keeping Iowa's best recruits at Iowa is very important. Barnes and Paige and McDermott have left and we need to break that trend. We especially need to keep most of the IC and CR stars at Iowa. Sure, we will lose one occasionally that wants to move away from home, but we need to keep Jok and at least one of the IC West players in-state. It is very important to rebuild the desire for all Iowans to want to be a Hawkeye!

There is only one scholorship available now.

At this point Morgan looks much better than Jok and has other big ten schools interested.

Im of the opinion that I really don't care how good jok looked when he was 15 or whatever, thats not relevant anymore.

At this point Morgan looks much better than Jok and has other big ten schools interested.

Im of the opinion that I really don't care how good jok looked when he was 15 or whatever, thats not relevant anymore.

I'd be more excited by the fact that he still looks good at 80%, and is recovering from his injuries (he should make a near-complete recovery, if not a full one).

He's going to keep getting better, and this is an excellent opportunity for Fran to "buy low" on an investment that could pay enormous dividends.

With the returning pieces and the incoming class, Fran can afford to take that sort of gamble. This isn't a Hubbard-type gamble, which was made more out of desperation (perhaps not the right word, but you understand the gist of what I'm saying). Jok is an opportunity for Fran to gamble on a potential diamond in the rough, just because he can. There's a big difference there.

The problem is we aren't talking about an injured player working his way back to a previous level. Rather, we're talking about an injured kid healing and then developing into the type of 18 year old player he was projected to be based on his ability as a 15 year old.

The problem is we aren't talking about an injured player working his way back to a previous level. Rather, we're talking about an injured kid healing and then developing into the type of 18 year old player he was projected to be based on his ability as a 15 year old.

Who still looks pretty damn good with his knee at 80%. Maybe not elite, but good. And if nothing else, Jok gives Iowa a pretty good outside shooter. But I think he'll bring much more than that.

After summer camps I think both Jeremy Morgan and Dondre Alexander from IA City West will receive numerous Division 1 offers.
Have a feeling Fran will be watching both very closely as the summer progresses.
Dondre is an incredible athlete but I think Morgan has more upside for D1 B-Ball.

After summer camps I think both Jeremy Morgan and Dondre Alexander from IA City West will receive numerous Division 1 offers.
Have a feeling Fran will be watching both very closely as the summer progresses.
Dondre is an incredible athlete but I think Morgan has more upside for D1 B-Ball.

Will Dondre play fball or bball in College? Also, is he a better all around athlete than James Harriongton?

IMO Iowa should and will use the scholarship to fit a need. Nobody knows exactly what that need will be until the season plays out a little. If Iowa does have an offer to him and Iowa has stayed loyal to him and he hasn't expected yet. I say pass anyway

IMO Iowa should and will use the scholarship to fit a need. Nobody knows exactly what that need will be until the season plays out a little. If Iowa does have an offer to him and Iowa has stayed loyal to him and he hasn't expected yet. I say pass anyway

Why is that, Phreek? He's only a "true Hawk" if he accepts it now, but he's not if he waits until October?

I agree that taking Jok could potentially take the program to another level. If he doesn't pan out, then we've still got a lot of talent and the 2014 class to come. Right now, Jok could be the best shooter on the team, he's a better ball-handler than anyone we have 6'7" and over except for Marble and, from what I've seen, he posts up better than Marble. So if he didn't become a superstar, it certainly wouldn't be a total loss. And it would be great to take an Iowan if we can. The question is when would we take a commitment. E.C. Matthews seems to be getting a lot of attention right now. How many other guards are we recruiting for 2013 that would have the upside of Matthews or Jok? I'd say if Matthews doesn't want to visit, offer at the end of the summer.

Who still looks pretty damn good with his knee at 80%. Maybe not elite, but good. And if nothing else, Jok gives Iowa a pretty good outside shooter. But I think he'll bring much more than that.

Judging by the videos on here he dosn't look like a high d1 player right now.

Last edited:

Well put.

He could be another JR Angle for all anyone knows.

Having watched both extensively...

I agree that Dondre is a better athlete, but he is a headcase. :mad:

Morgan is more of a finesse player, but he has his head screwed on correctly AND has a former Hawk as his Dad. :)

Well put.

He could be another JR Angle for all anyone knows.

That's why you wait for the end of summer. If there are no signs before then, maybe no offer. But if there are, then we'd better not wait until he looks like Harrison Barnes' younger brother before pulling the trigger.

People don't seem to get this, but this is well stated.

Latest posts