Van Coleman Updates Jok's morning performance at NBA Players Camp

We keep hearing he's a tremendous shooter. Looks like this year HS season he was 22/59 (37.3%) from 3 and 70/156 (44.9%) overall. Doesn't blow me away.

37.3 % is pretty good, especially if he is one of his team's higher volume shooters. I'd assume he received the second most attention from the defense to Kale.

For comparison, Gatens shot 39% as a senior in high school.

37.3 % is pretty good, especially if he is one of his team's higher volume shooters. I'd assume he received the second most attention from the defense to Kale.

And Gatens shot 37% from three for his career at Iowa.

And as I said a couple of years ago when people were talking about Ogelsby's 3 pt shooting, there is usually a 3-5 point drop in 3 point shooting percentage from high school to D1.

I completely agree.

We have one scholly to give, whats the appeal of settling for taking a risk? Makes no sense.

Why not go after a bunch of legitimate big time recruits and see if you can get one to bite rather than taking a guy who is most likely going to be average.

Or at least take Morgan who is the same height, a better shooter, quicker, a better athlete and has interest from other big ten schools.

Every recruit is a risk. In general, I see the point you're making, but any time you have only one scholarship to give in a class, there is a decent possibility that you don't yield anything good out of it. I don't care how highly ranked or how much of a "sure thing" the player is (i.e. Glen Worley).

Meh. Kale was 54/150, Clint Boffeli was 48/111, and Nate Meyer was 23/55.

Look, I'm not hating on Jok. I just feel that there's a lot of talk that he's a great shooter, and I'm not sure if it's justified.

Look, I'm not hating on Jok. I just feel that there's a lot of talk that he's a great shooter, and I'm not sure if it's justified.

Jok could not elevate at all last year and that messed with his shooting accuracy. Watching him the past few weeks in summer league his stroke looks much smoother and he is shooting a high percentage (he dropped 40+ on one team a week or so ago). If his knee continues to improve and people have to respect his ability to create off the dribble again then I would expect to see him shooting in the 43-47% range from deep this winter.

Someone tweeting at the NBA 100 camp commented on what a great shooter he is.

Jok could not elevate at all last year and that messed with his shooting accuracy. Watching him the past few weeks in summer league his stroke looks much smoother and he is shooting a high percentage (he dropped 40+ on one team a week or so ago). If his knee continues to improve and people have to respect his ability to create off the dribble again then I would expect to see him shooting in the 43-47% range from deep this winter.

So Kale's 3pt percentage was around 37% also? And he was healthy,and a top 150 player?

From the video I have seen of his recent summer ball, his shooting stroke looks very solid. Being unable to elevate totally messes with a shooting stroke. He has great shooting mechanics, better than Oglesby or Marble...more like Gatens. If his legs are healthy,he will shoot it well from distance, I suspect. His free throw stroke at 85% is ample evidence of his touch.

So Kale's 3pt percentage was around 37% also? And he was healthy,and a top 150 player?

From the video I have seen of his recent summer ball, his shooting stroke looks very solid. Being unable to elevate totally messes with a shooting stroke. He has great shooting mechanics, better than Oglesby or Marble...more like Gatens. If his legs are healthy,he will shoot it well from distance, I suspect. His free throw stroke at 85% is ample evidence of his touch.

One of Jok's strengths is his step back jumper. Again last year you would see flashes of what he could be. He would put the ball on the floor for a hard dribble to 10-15 feet then pull up and step back for a jump shot that would be impossible to defend if he can get off the floor like he could a couple of years ago. That mid-range jumper is something you don't see that much in high school ball. It is a 3 or all the way to the rim.

Oh, well that settles it. It must be true then.

I am not saying it settles it. But to suggest there it is not justified is stupid when he shoots 37% ( which is a good percentage for 3 pointers) while playing at 60% health. Then you have people watching the drills and games at the camp saying he has a great shot. If you watch the videos you can tell he has great form and a great looking shot. So there is evidence of him being a great shooter it is not just people making things up.

I think way too many on here think that you need NBA athleticism to succeed in college BB. Marble can get to the hole, create his shot, and finish. He has a nice pullup game, and hopefully he can start hitting the 3 more consistently. He doesn't have elite explosiveness, or athleticism, but he had very solid SO year. I think he will have a lot of success this year and next also. Even if Jok doesn't have elite explosiveness, he can still be a very good/great college BB player.

The college game is NOTHING like the NBA. Many excellent college BB players don't translate to the NBA, but that doesn't mean they aren't excellent college players.

I think way too many on here think that you need NBA athleticism to succeed in college BB. Marble can get to the hole, create his shot, and finish. He has a nice pullup game, and hopefully he can start hitting the 3 more consistently. He doesn't have elite explosiveness, or athleticism, but he had very solid SO year. I think he will have a lot of success this year and next also. Even if Jok doesn't have elite explosiveness, he can still be a very good/great college BB player.

The college game is NOTHING like the NBA. Many excellent college BB players don't translate to the NBA, but that doesn't mean they aren't excellent college players.

JJ Reddick and Tyler Hansborough agree, though they are both decent role players in the NBA.

Yep. :)

morrison-400.jpg

Doesn't mean that it translated into NBA success. Morrison was 3rd overrall. Marvin Williams was the 2nd pick and he has been below par. Lots of examples.

Morrison was a bust, I had actually forgotten all about him. Williams was drafted on potential, not his great college career...he only played at UNC for one year.

Interesting quote here from TOS about Jok's injury and recovery. I myself assumed that the current healing process was from a knee injury.

HawkeyeReport.com - Message Boards

"Peter has not had problems with both knees or multiple knee problems. It has been only ONE knee problem and the knee is 100%...it is the quad that he is still rehabbing and it is close to 90%. He tore a tendon in the knee close to two years ago at an type of all-star event and played through it his sophomore year and had surgery last June. He is very close to being the Pete of old, and I for one, could not be happier for him!"

Latest posts