Van Coleman Updates Jok's morning performance at NBA Players Camp

Playing against this level of competition, positive comments of any kind are encouraging considering he's only at 80%. There is a HUGE difference between 80% and 100%... Let's just hope he gets to 100% (and that Fran is the only one who knows it :D).

knee problems, now he tweaks an ankle? the Tony Moeaki of basketball?

Often when you're compensating for one body part being only 80%, you'll cause other minor injuries in the process.

Watching the video of him that was recently posted, it's clear that his knee is still very fragile.

Playing against this level of competition, positive comments of any kind are encouraging considering he's only at 80%. There is a HUGE difference between 80% and 100%... Let's just hope he gets to 100% (and that Fran is the only one who knows it :D).

Exactly

Fran obviously knows what's best...

but in the case of Jok it seems like it might be worth it to go all-in on him, even if he doesn't dominate/shine at the NBA camp. When healthy, Jok has the chance to be a Top 20-type talent, which don't just walk in the door at Iowa very often. The big boys in college hoops can afford to wait-and-see with Jok, but I'm not sure Iowa can.

Again, having never seen Jok or any of the guys in the 2013 class play, I'll defer to Fran as to what is best for the ride he has to give. The upside to getting Jok (even if he doesn't shine this summer) is potentially huge if he gets over his health problems in another year.

Re: Fran obviously knows what's best...

but in the case of Jok it seems like it might be worth it to go all-in on him, even if he doesn't dominate/shine at the NBA camp. When healthy, Jok has the chance to be a Top 20-type talent, which don't just walk in the door at Iowa very often. The big boys in college hoops can afford to wait-and-see with Jok, but I'm not sure Iowa can.

Again, having never seen Jok or any of the guys in the 2013 class play, I'll defer to Fran as to what is best for the ride he has to give. The upside to getting Jok (even if he doesn't shine this summer) is potentially huge if he gets over his health problems in another year.

With just one ride to give, real tough to do that with a guy who has had knee problems take him out of two seasons at such a young age

Re: Fran obviously knows what's best...

Remember, Todd Lickliter isn't running the ship anymore. ;)

This is a kid that KU, Duke, UNC, Kentucky etc would all be drooling over if he didn't go through his injuries. Get the team doctors to check him out. If they say he will fully recover. Sign him as fast as you can.

I mean read to this evaluation of him a few years ago.
"Without question this position promises to be one of the most talked about as a number of up and coming scoring guards rock the 2013 class and we might as well get the discussion going with the introduction of 6-5 Iowa phenom Peter Jok. The 2009 NY2LASports.com Swish & Dish M.V.P. turned in a breakout performance that included a number 30+ point efforts and followed that up with monster showings time and time again this past spring. Remember we were the first to label the current Iowa big story Harrison Barnes as the real deal almost 3 years ago and without question Jok is significantly more advanced that Barnes was as the rising 9th grade age and should Jok fulfill his potential he will be the best player to ever come out of the state of Iowa, without question. Skill, range, instincts, athleticism, length, etc. are all present inside a big time frame and expect college coaches across the country to stand around the block before its all said and done because this young man is the truth! The only question with Jok is position as he could player either the 2 or the 3 at the next level but he promises to do it in major impact fashion regardless of where he lines up on the court. "

"Today we wrap up "RANKINGS WEEK" at NY2LASPORTS.COM with the release of our new Class of 2013 Top 100 National Player Rankings. The 2013 class has a number of excellent talents up and down the board and it should come as no surpise to see a lot of these names generate major ink in the coming years. Here's a look at the top 5...

(1) PETER JOK 6-5 G/F - DES MOINES ROOSEVELT - DES MOINES, IOWA
While Harrison Barnes set the table for Iowa on a national level the past few years, Jok is already ahead of where Barnes was at this age. A ridiculous blend of size, instincts, altheticism and skill We've raved about this young talent since he exploded on the scene during the 2009 NY2LASPORTS.COM SWISH & DISH SPRING WARM-UP much the same as Barnes did during the 2008 edition. Last July a number of college coaches took to the sidelines at the NY2LASPORTS.COM NEXT LEVEL INVITATIONAL to see if Jok was as advertised as he squared off against fellow 2013 talent Alex Foster and his team. Despite playing on one ankle due to an injury the night before, Jok still knocked down 5 trey balls in the first half and posted a 24 piece before the break that had the coaches buzzing. Offers dropped on the spot and questions were answered for all who had them. Bottom line is this young man is explosive, dominant, skilled, and still has an enormous amount of room to grow. Has a lethal mid range and perimeter stroke that's virtually unstoppable when he gets it going. "

Guess if he gets up to 87.5% Fran needs to pull the trigger.

I see Iowa as being in a position of strength,depth-wise,giving Fran the freedom to maybe roll the dice on a high risk,high reward recruit like Jok. It is hard to play 13 guys anyway,and even if he never pans out, we have 3 more schollys to give in 2014 and 3 more in 2015. You can plug in jucos if you need. Fran will monitor Peter this summer,and if he continues to get healthier, hopefully,he will commit. We need shooters,always,and even if he is not ultra explosive,he can spot up,spread the floor and knock down shots from the arc over perimeter defenders with his length.

Per rivals, his only offer is Iowa at this point.

I will guarantee you that he doesn't have a full, unconditional offer from Iowa right now. I highly doubt that with only 1 scholarship to give, Iowa would accept a commit from him at this point.

I will guarantee you that he doesn't have a full, unconditional offer from Iowa right now. I highly doubt that with only 1 scholarship to give, Iowa would accept a commit from him at this point.

Prove it Mr. Guarantee

pass pass and more pass. I almost Iowa doesn't offer til first part of next year. I have a feeling that watching this team play may bring some excitement to a bigger time recruit.

pass pass and more pass. I almost Iowa doesn't offer til first part of next year. I have a feeling that watching this team play may bring some excitement to a bigger time recruit.

1. When healthy, recruits won't get much more "big-time" than Jok.

2. Any of the "big-time" recruits will sign their LOI before Iowa ever takes the floor in 2012. Your logic perfectly fits the "greener pastures" metaphor, and in this scenario, the Hawks would very likely get burned by passing in hopes of landing someone even better than Jok.

you know, normally i'd say to pass, just not worth the risk of him not panning out...

but, with a pretty solid class coming in, we might be able to swing for the fences and afford to miss on a recruit. i'll defer to fran on this one, but would personally much rather get a kid without so much injury questions.

Latest posts