Vaccine rollout

Jesus Christ.

You people thinking politics had anything to do with the outcome of this thing as it relates to vaccinations are out of your minds. No president, administration, cabinet, surgeon general, CDC, congress, or senate is going to change a single person's mind about vaccination or whether they should or shouldn't wear a mask. Not one. Not a SINGLE person. It's glad-handing, posturing bullshit talk from politicians preaching to their respective choirs in the endless race for votes. Joe Biden and Donald Trump are less than proverbial farts in the wind.

Politics is a complete sham folks, and you people who still have the "Of the people, by the people, for the people," bullshit ideals from pre WW2 are smoking all the dope the politicians are packin' in the Bong of Fantasy Land. All of you "conservatives" and "liberals" out there are a bunch of sheeple, and if that upsets you I'm sorry. You should wake up. Every guy or gal you put a check mark next to in any election, regardless of affiliation is a rich asshole looking for 1) power, and 2) a lifetime job. They do zilch but come to DC and cast their votes for whatever and whomever will put the most cash in their pockets, period. Donald Trump didn't give a shit about your 401k or immigration, and Joe Biden doesn't give a shit about the minimum wage or independence from China. They’re slaves to whatever segments of other rich folks and "non-profits" fill their bank accounts, whether directly or indirectly. And they sure as hell don't give one iota whether you or your aunt Sally got COVID.

If you think I'm full of shit and Trump or Bush or Reagan or Biden or Obama or Clinton, or any lawmaker or SC justice gave a damn about you or your standard of living more so than their interest groups, well...congratulations. You've been assimilated into the herd.

Good lord.

Now that that's out of the way and all of you proud, "I Voted Today!" sticker-wearers are all equally butthurt, let's segue into the actual topic at hand...

Let's use a little math and some actual rational thinking, how 'bout it?

Re: vaccinations...

I think they're a good idea. I don't think there's a governmental conspiracy to inject us with the mark of the beast and I think they're safe based on the somewhat extensive history of testing and development of MRNA vaccines. I also think they'd help reach herd immunity, but that's never going to happen. Ever. You cna do all the political wishful thinking you want, but the fact remains that in reality not enough people are going to get vaccinated and this thing will have to peter out on it's own like Spanish flu. And in time, it will.

So, if I think the vaccine is a good thing and that people should do it, that must mean I'm with you guys on Team Joe Blow, right? You can put me down on your liberal list? No. GTFO.

Every adult who wants a vaccine for the most part can get one if they want, right? Right. So if you've gotten the vaccine which is ridiculously effective and almost completely effective in stopping deaths from COVID, and there are folks out there who've made the choice not to get it, it's on them. No matter what their reason, if they choose not to get vaccinated that's their own choice.

BUT WHAT ABOUT KIDS, FRYOWA??? YOU HEARTLESS BASTARD SONOFABITCH!!!

According to the CDC, since the start of 2020 until April 28, there have been 277 COVID deaths in the under 18 demographic. In that same time frame there have been 179 people under the age of 18 who've died of influenza. The most up to date Census numbers say there are 74.2 million people under 18 in the us. So in the year and change that COIVD has been around, .00037% of that demographic has died of COVID. That's not point three seven percent, that's point zero zero zero three seven percent. The risk of death in the under 18 population (those not eligible for vaccine) is so low as to be statistical noise. Lest that sound heartless to you folks out there, how many of you make the parental decision to let your minor child drive a car when statistically it'd be safer for you to drive them? How many of you allow your minor child to be a passenger in a car? How many of you make the parental decision to allow your child to play a contact sport? How many of you allow your minor child to ride a bicycle? Those are all choices you make for your kids, and all of those choices have a waaaaaaaaaaaaay higher likelihood to end up in serious or permanent injury or death.

WHAT ABOUT THE VULNERABLE PEOPLE WITH COMPROMISED IMMUNE SYSTEMS WHO CAN'T GET THE VACCINE, FRYOWA??? YOU MOTHER-EFFER!!!

Yep. Those people are around. In numbers many orders of magnitude smaller than the general population. Those folks have bigger fish to fry already than COVID, and they have much bigger threats to their health. And again, like kids, it comes down to whether disallowing personal choice and continuing to disrupt "normal life" for the vast, vast majority of the population is worth that risk. Are we going to allow life in masks and an aversion to human contact for everyone to continue indefinitely for the sake of a few thousand people who still have a very small chance of death? Should we ban beer so there's not a single drunk driving death ever again? I mean it would be easy. Just pay your politicians enough and they'll make it a crime to consume alcohol. Totally plausible. And if that's so easy then it'd be super easy to make everyone wear a mask and get vaccinated. Heck yeah! Now that I think of it it's totally realistic!!

So....what's the point of all this bullshit I just typed out.

Let's say I told you this...

"There's a .00005% chance that by attending your daughter's wedding that you'll cause the death of a 15 year old kid, but by skipping your daughter's wedding there will only be a .000035% chance you'll cause that death."

What would you do? Be honest with yourself and don't lie to us. 15 out of 1,000,000 dice rolls...would you skip it?

There are inherent risks to every single thing that happens to you and every single thing that you do in life from day one to year 100. You weigh those risks either consciously or unconsciously, and make decisions based on that. And we should do the exact same thing as a society.

People can hate me for it if they want, but I’m done with masks unless something major happens (it won't). I’m not going out of my way to stay 6' away from everyone I come across. I will go to sporting events again when they happen and I'm not gonna give COVID a conscious thought. Because living like that when statistics and math tell me it isn’t necessary isn't living. I don't want to live like that. If you do, be my guest. If you want to wear 3 masks and stay 20' away from me like I’m a leper I will not hold it against you one bit and I’m being totally serious. You do you. I'm not murdering people by walking in a building because essentially everyone who wants a vaccination can get one. Mathematically I have an infinitely higher chance of killing someone by accident with my car than killing someone with COVID, and none of us are going to quit driving even though it'd save a whole bunch more lives and the environment to boot.

Wake up, sheep. Trump nor Biden know what's best for ya. Use the fuckin brain on top of your shoulders.

Politics is a complete fucking sham folks,

National shit is a rudderless ship, but local politics are extremely important for QoL issues. If you think politics is a sham, move to a jurisdiction that is over 90% Democrat and get back to me when they say shit like "The city council just approved a modest 19% property tax hike," closes the fucking schools for over a year and announces they want to get rid of advanced classes to promote "equity."

I think they're a good idea. I don't think there's a governmental conspiracy to inject us with the mark of the beast and I think they're safe based on the somewhat extensive history of testing and development of MRNA vaccines. I also think they'd help reach herd immunity, but that's never going to happen. Ever. You cna do all the political wishful thinking you want, but the fact remains that in reality not enough people are going to get vaccinated and this thing will have to peter out on it's own like Spanish flu. And in time, it will.

So, if I think the vaccine is a good thing and that people should do it, that must mean I'm with you guys on Team Joe Blow, right? You can put me down on your liberal list? No. GTFO.

Every adult who wants a vaccine for the most part can get one if they want, right? Right. So if you've gotten the vaccine which is ridiculously effective and almost completely effective in stopping deaths from COVID, and there are folks out there who've made the choice not to get it, it's on them. No matter what their reason, if they choose not to get vaccinated that's their own choice.

According to the CDC, since the start of 2020 until April 28, there have been 277 COVID deaths in the under 18 demographic. In that same time frame there have been 179 people under the age of 18 who've died of influenza. The most up to date Census numbers say there are 74.2 million people under 18 in the us. So in the year and change that COIVD has been around, .00037% of that demographic has died of COVID. That's not point three seven percent, that's point zero zero zero three seven percent. The risk of death in the under 18 population (those not eligible for vaccine) is so low as to be statistical noise. Lest that sound heartless to you folks out there, how many of you make the parental decision to let your minor child drive a car when statistically it'd be safer for you to drive them? How many of you allow your minor child to be a passenger in a car? How many of you make the parental decision to allow your child to play a contact sport? How many of you allow your minor child to ride a bicycle? Those are all choices you make for your kids, and all of those choices have a waaaaaaaaaaaaay higher likelihood to end up in serious or permanent injury or death.

WHAT ABOUT THE VULNERABLE PEOPLE WITH COMPROMISED IMMUNE SYSTEMS WHO CAN'T GET THE VACCINE, FRYOWA??? YOU MOTHER-EFFER!!!

Yep. Those people are around. In numbers many orders of magnitude smaller than the general population. Those folks have bigger fish to fry already than COVID, and they have much higher threats to their health. And again, like kids, it comes down to whether disallowing personal choice and continuing to disrupt "normal life" for the vast, vast majority of the population is worth that risk. Are we going to allow life in masks and an aversion to human contact for everyone to continue indefinitely for the sake of a few thousand people who still have a very small chance of death? Should we ban beer so there's not a single drunk driving death ever again? I mean it would be easy. Just pay your politicians enough and they'll make it a crime to consume alcohol. Totally plausible. And if that's so easy then it'd be super easy to make everyone wear a mask and get vaccinated. Heck yeah! Now that I think of it it's totally realistic!!

"There's a .0005% chance that by attending your daughter's wedding that you'll cause the death of a 15 year old kid, but by skipping your daughter's wedding there will only be a .00035% chance you'll cause that death."

What would you do? Be honest with yourself and don't lie to us. 15 out of 100,000 dice rolls...would you skip it?

There are inherent risks to every single thing that happens to you and every single thing that you do in life from day one to year 100. You weigh those risks either consciously or unconsciously, and make decisions based on that. And we should do the exact same thing as a society.

You can all hate me if you want but I’m done with masks unless something major happens (it won't). I’m not going out of my way to stay 6' away from everyone I come across. I will go to sporting events again when they happen and I'm not gonna give COVID a conscious thought. Because living like that when statistics and math (and not politics) tells me isn’t necessary isn't living. I don't want to live like that. If you do, be my guest. If you want to wear 3 masks and stay 20' away from me I will not hold it against you one bit and I’m being totally serious. I'm not murdering people by walking in a building because essentially everyone who wants a vaccination can get one. Mathematically I have an infinitely higher chance of killing someone by accident with my car than killing someone with COVID, and none of us are going to quit driving even though it'd save a whole bunch more lives and the environment.

Wake up, sheep. Trump nor Biden know what's best for ya. Use the fuckin brain on top of your shoulders.

Lots of good common sense here. Rational thinking ... I like it.

One question (for conversation sake) - when you say you are done with masks, does that include business that still require masks inside? Do you avoid those, or just not wear a mask? I am just curious.

For instance, I have been to 2 golf courses in two different towns in the past week or so. One requires masks in the clubhouse and one did not. I had a mask on inside at both. I didn't really think about it until I left the one that didn't require them. I may not wear one the next time.

I am vaccinated, but the way, so I am trying to get back to doing normal things. I know some folks who have chosen not to be vaccinated. One was my cart mate while golfing. No worries.

Lots of good common sense here. Rational thinking ... I like it.

One question (for conversation sake) - when you say you are done with masks, does that include business that still require masks inside? Do you avoid those, or just not wear a mask? I am just curious.
The only time I'll wear one is if I have to have it in order to do something I really want or need to do. If I have to have it to get on a plane, go inside our county courthouse, a hospital, etc. I'll wear one because I'll get turned away without it.

At Casey's, for example, they've had a sign up for over a year saying masks are required but they don't enforce it. Same with HyVee, Subway, etc. I don't wear one any of those places and because the almighty dollar speaks the loudest, none of them will send you packing (where I live). If I lived in a big metro somewhere (not a snowball's chance in hell of that) things would be different probably.

This is not a political decision for me, btw. It's a "this is fucking stupid" decision. There was a legitimate time to fear this thing and be cautious with it. That time is now over from a US societal viewpoint, and my own individual view point. I have an almost null risk factor and so does anyone I have regular or extended contact with.

There are scores of things that I do in my daily life that are MUCH more likely to lead to long-term injury or death than for me or a family member to contract COVID and die.

Yep. Those people are around. In numbers many orders of magnitude smaller than the general population. Those folks have bigger fish to fry already than COVID, and they have much bigger threats to their health. And again, like kids, it comes down to whether disallowing personal choice and continuing to disrupt "normal life" for the vast, vast majority of the population is worth that risk. Are we going to allow life in masks and an aversion to human contact for everyone to continue indefinitely for the sake of a few thousand people who still have a very small chance of death? Should we ban beer so there's not a single drunk driving death ever again? I mean it would be easy. Just pay your politicians enough and they'll make it a crime to consume alcohol. Totally plausible. And if that's so easy then it'd be super easy to make everyone wear a mask and get vaccinated. Heck yeah! Now that I think of it it's totally realistic!!

"There's a .00005% chance that by attending your daughter's wedding that you'll cause the death of a 15 year old kid, but by skipping your daughter's wedding there will only be a .000035% chance you'll cause that death."

What would you do? Be honest with yourself and don't lie to us. 15 out of 1,000,000 dice rolls...would you skip it?

Anyone can hate me for it but I’m done with masks unless something major happens (it won't). I’m not going out of my way to stay 6' away from everyone I come across. I will go to sporting events again when they happen and I'm not gonna give COVID a conscious thought. Because living like that when statistics and math...not politics...tells me isn’t necessary isn't living. I don't want to live like that. If you do, be my guest. If you want to wear 3 masks and stay 20' away from me I will not hold it against you one bit and I’m being totally serious. I'm not murdering people by walking in a building because essentially everyone who wants a vaccination can get one. Mathematically I have an infinitely higher chance of killing someone by accident with my car than killing someone with COVID, and none of us are going to quit driving even though it'd save a whole bunch more lives and the environment.

2 good rants in a row Fry. The only thing I disagree with is where you said zero people based their decisions on what politicians said. I'd argue there are slightly higher than zero people. But for every douchebag that didn't wear a mask because of what Trump said, there is another douchebag that wouldn't have worn one out of spite if Trump told people to wear them.

National shit is a rudderless ship, but local politics are extremely important for QoL issues. If you think politics is a sham, move to a jurisdiction that is over 90% Democrat and get back to me when they say shit like "The city council just approved a modest 19% property tax hike," closes the fucking schools for over a year and announces they want to get rid of advanced classes to promote "equity."
Evidently some people like that. I'm so lucky I live in an area where everyone continued to live life. Our school shut down for a week and said F that. I see people on social media saying they can't wait to get back to normal life and I laugh because my life has been normal the whole time other than a couple weeks in last March and a couple weeks quarantine.

And to the people who say "it's people like you that prevent the rest of us from getting back to normal". The only way you were ever getting back to your normal is after the vaccine, regardless of what anyone else does/did.

The only time I'll wear one is if I have to have it in order to do something I really want or need to do. If I have to have it to get on a plane, go inside our county courthouse, a hospital, etc. I'll wear one because I'll get turned away without it.

At Casey's, for example, they've had a sign up for over a year saying masks are required but they don't enforce it. Same with HyVee, Subway, etc. I don't wear one any of those places and because the almighty dollar speaks the loudest, none of them will send you packing (where I live). If I lived in a big metro somewhere (not a snowball's chance in hell of that) things would be different probably.

This is not a political decision for me, btw. It's a "this is fucking stupid" decision. There was a legitimate time to fear this thing and be cautious with it. That time is now over from a US societal viewpoint, and my own individual view point. I have an almost null risk factor and so does anyone I have regular or extended contact with.

There are scores of things that I do in my daily life that are MUCH more likely to lead to long-term injury or death than for me or a family member to contract COVID and die.

Great point bringing up Casey's "requiring" masks but not doing a thing about it. I'm a firm believer that if a business legitimately "requires masks" and is turning people away for not doing it, then if it's a business I frequent I will continue to respect their wishes and will mask up, simply because I'm in the mindset that I'm so used to it now that they no longer bother me. But for the love of God if you're going to go through the motion of making it a policy then fucking follow through with it. Enough with we'll require it, but won't do a damn thing if you don't wear one, bullshit.

Pick a side. It's a black and white issue, leave the gray out of it. If you have no intention of enforcing it then save us all and don't create a new policy.

Great point bringing up Casey's "requiring" masks but not doing a thing about it. I'm a firm believer that if a business legitimately "requires masks" and is turning people away for not doing it, then if it's a business I frequent I will continue to respect their wishes and will mask up, simply because I'm in the mindset that I'm so used to it now that they no longer bother me. But for the love of God if you're going to go through the motion of making it a policy then fucking follow through with it. Enough with we'll require it, but won't do a damn thing if you don't wear one, bullshit.

Pick a side. It's a black and white issue, leave the gray out of it. If you have no intention of enforcing it then save us all and don't create a new policy.
On the flipside though, I will stop doing business there if they do that.

Not because I'm a republican or democrat (I associate with neither of those scumbags), but because it makes no sense now that vaccinations are available to all adults who want one and the risk of ijury or death is microscopic to everyone else.

There's a certain contingent (some "prominent" members here, as well) who would in return say to me that I'm a heartless cold-blooded baby killer because wearing a mask is a small inconvenience to decrease the chances of me giving someone COVID and killing them with it by 10 millionths of a percent.

Like going maskless has become a symbol of solidarity for way right-leaning folks, wearing one has become a symbol of solidarity for way left-leaning folks......the problem is both of those groups are using those reasons that aren't based on logic and probability and rationality.

I wore a mask when there was no widespread vaccination and when there was a significant risk of contracting and spreading covid. I quarantined twice because of precaution since COIVD started. I believe it was a pretty dangerous thing for society, but that time has passed and I'm done. I'm not using/refusing a mask as a political badge of honor, I'm just flat out saying it's not necessary in day-to-day settings and interactions. And I have no problem if someone sees me in a store without a mask and runs away screaming about what a heartless bastard I am. I know I'm not that, and I'm secure in that choice.

On the flipside though, I will stop doing business there if they do that.

Not because I'm a republican or democrat (I associate with neither of those scumbags), but because it makes no sense now that vaccinations are available to all adults who want one and the risk of ijury or death is microscopic to everyone else.

There's a certain contingent (some "prominent" members here, as well) who would in return say to me that I'm a heartless cold-blooded baby killer because wearing a mask is a small inconvenience to decrease the chances of me giving someone COVID and killing them with it by 10 millionths of a percent.

Like going maskless has become a symbol of solidarity for way right-leaning folks, wearing one has become a symbol of solidarity for way left-leaning folks......the problem is both of those groups are using those reasons that aren't based on logic and probability and rationality.

I wore a mask when there was no widespread vaccination and when there was a significant risk of contracting and spreading covid. I quarantined twice because of precaution since COIVD started. I believe it was a pretty dangerous thing for society, but that time has passed and I'm done. I'm not using/refusing a mask as a political badge of honor, I'm just flat out saying it's not necessary in day-to-day settings and interactions. And I have no problem if someone sees me in a store without a mask and runs away screaming about what a heartless bastard I am. I know I'm not that, and I'm secure in that choice.

I take no issue with that whatsoever. I'm just one of those guys that is sick and tired of policies that are not enforced. There's no such thing as an optional mandate. Either enforce it or quit "requiring it". Why have a sign puffing your chest out from a management perspective if your not going to back it.

As an introvert, I want the mask mandate to last forever, because when I go to the grocery store, I don't want to recognize anyone and I don't want anyone recognizing me. I hate grocery store small talk. I'm just there to get some damn Pop Tarts so leave me alone.

I think a lot of people expect everyone to stop wearing a mask at the exact same time they personally think it's time to stop wearing it. That would never happen. The percentage of people wearing them will just drop over time until finally no one is wearing them.

I take no issue with that whatsoever. I'm just one of those guys that is sick and tired of policies that are not enforced. There's no such thing as an optional mandate. Either enforce it or quit "requiring it". Why have a sign puffing your chest out from a management perspective if your not going to back it.
I'm not sure why that bothers you. Saying its required keeps more people wearing them without the hassle of forcing people making minimum wage to be confrontational with customers. It's honestly the best way to slowly transition from wearing them. Not to mention it's the best way to not alienate customers. The sign is there for mask nazis, but it's not enforced for the "this is a free country" crowd.

I feel like the masks are starting to be a little overkill.

I live in the Denver metro, around these parts, you do *not* want to be seen indoors without a mask for sure. I don't go out for social things to begin with, but I go out quite a bit for grocery shopping, take out, miscellaneous home/car repair tasks, etc, and, no fooling, I think during the entire mask mandate time period, I've seen 1 person without a mask the entire time. Like, it was so remarkable, I can remember where it was, what the guy the looked like, etc. I don't know and I'm sure as hell not going to try, but I think if you walked into a place of business without a mask in this area, you're going to get confronted by employees and fellow patrons.

I've been down to Colo Springs a few times during the pandemic. Down there, the overwhelming majority of people wear masks, but it only takes a few minutes walking around a grocery store or whatever before you'll see someone without, it seems.

I used to be very pro mask because I felt like, if nothing else, we had a very poor understanding of the virus. In hindsight, I think this was very valid. There was so much conflicting information even from official/reputable sources. "Better safe than sorry". I certainly didn't want to see a situation where hospitals were so stretched that people couldn't get treatment if necessary. Also, obviously, there was no vaccine. I have never at any point felt particularly worried about getting the germ myself, but I'm not not vulnerable. Hell, I might even be borderline "healthy"! But I think about friends and family who have vulnerabilities themselves or have close contact with people who do and I think, "it's good not to spread it around...just because I'm likely ok doesn't mean I can't spread it to someone who isn't". I still think that is/was good common sense.

I'm getting more wishy-washy about the whole thing now though, for sure. I mean, it seems to me that every boomer or other vulnerables who want the vaccine have gotten the vaccine at this point, right? Hell, even I have fallen ass-backwards into two rounds of Pfizer at this point and I wasn't worried to begin with. Like I said, I'm still wearing the mask 100% of the time, but it's gradually feeling more like a "because I have to" vs a "because I should" thing for me. I also confess to just being sort of tired of the whole thing - the virus, the mask, the political tug of war. Just the whole scene. I admit that's not a great attitude for a starting point for making good, sound social decisions, but that's where I'm at.

I trusted the mask and social distancing. Now I am fully vaccinated and I trust the vaccine. I still wear a mask on rare occasions out of concern mostly for others. I trusted science. Listened to Fauci and Sanjay Gupta. Never had Covid 19. Got my regular flu shot which I have done for years. I have never had the seasonal flu. Clearly, this is simply anecdotal. But I would bet a couple of SS checks that my strategy worked. No accident.

The mask is here to stay for a while. Schools and hospitals in particular, it may be years before it is not required and some will still wear them anyway. Some have said it has become as much as habit as buckling up ( which many of us did not do as recently as the eightes) Some are going to wear them as a sign of empathy and concern for the "most vulnerable". Some may see it as a fashion statement, not to mention extra face protection in the winter. And still others see it as a way of warding off all cold and flu viruses.

You will never walk onto an airplane or into an elementary or high school class again and not see at least one student wearing a mask, even after it is no longer mandatory.

The mask is here to stay for a while. Schools and hospitals in particular, it may be years before it is not required and some will still wear them anyway.
Hospitals is not a big deal. The vast majority of the population doesn’t spend hardly any time in them and it’s actually probably a good idea.

Schools... no way it goes past this year as a requirement. In the three conferences in nw Iowa only one school requires them anymore. Our county numbers are so low it’s almost non existent here.

Even in the hardcore democratic states it won't go on indefinitely. As always, the "next big thing" will come along. Both the left and the right will get bored with their current toy and find a new one to play with.

You will never walk onto an airplane or into an elementary or high school class again and not see at least one student wearing a mask, even after it is no longer mandatory.
As long as it’s not mandatory I don’t see the issue. Live and let live. If someone feels more comfortable in a mask I say go for it. But don’t require me to wear one because your political affiliation has made it part of their uniform requirements.