Uthoff Refutes Most of Bo Ryan's Claims

Wow, this thing just seems to keep picking up steam. So intriguing. Anyone think he will appeal the Big Ten restrictions?? Or let this thing die?

Wow, this thing just seems to keep picking up steam. So intriguing. Anyone think he will appeal the Big Ten restrictions?? Or let this thing die?

I think he just wants to move on but felt the need to defend his honor...my guess is he lets it die from here on out and he'll play for Iowa State or Creighton after he sits out his transfer year.

Really makes Bo seem like a worm.....

Appears that his credibility drops a little more each day.....

One of the best things to happen to Iowa recruiting since getting Mike Gesell and Adam Woodbury.....

Roy and Bo won't have such easy picking from now on.....

:)

I think he just wants to move on but felt the need to defend his honor...my guess is he lets it die from here on out and he'll play for Iowa State or Creighton after he sits out his transfer year.
I could see him going to Iowa State, maybe Creighton. Not certain how much he would want to be a Hawk. Being from CR you would think he would be as much of a Hawk fan as someone from Sioux City. However high school basketball players from Linn Marr don't seem to have any feeling for the Hawks.....

With only two scholarships left this year and next, I am not sure who Fran has in mind.....

The more I think about it the less sorry I feel for uthoff. He chose to go play lickball north. Wisconsin hasn't changed coaches or style of play- they are the same team that recruited him. Why not go to an Iowa team that plays wide open, I bet he wouldn't of had to red shirt at iowa, and probably would of gotten good minutes. But instead he CHOSE to go to Wisconsin and it cost him a year of eligibility. Should be a lesson to recruits to chose wisely

The more I think about it the less sorry I feel for uthoff. He chose to go play lickball north. Wisconsin hasn't changed coaches or style of play- they are the same team that recruited him. Why not go to an Iowa team that plays wide open, I bet he wouldn't of had to red shirt at iowa, and probably would of gotten good minutes. But instead he CHOSE to go to Wisconsin and it cost him a year of eligibility. Should be a lesson to recruits to chose wisely

I think he couldn't fully realize what he was getting into. You don't REALLY know how you're going to fit in until you get there. Things didn't work out the way he'd hoped.

As for not feeling sorry for him: I take that approach when considering his 1-year wait to play. That's the penalty for having chosen poorly. What Bo was doing was absolute overkill.

There is that to a degree, but also the Hawks just had three years of Lick and were in terrible shape. Not really surprising that the HS Player of the Year would want to go to an established program, and not take a chance with another new coach.....

That is why Josh Oglesby's commit was so important, he broke the trend of elite players leaving the state. His decision also helped Mike G and Adam decide to become Hawks.....

I think it comes down more on how they wanted to use him at the 4 spot, not necessarily the style (although I'm sure that is an issue as well)

bobo-the-clown1.jpg

The reason BoBo Ryan was on vacation and couldnt make it back to meet with Uthoff.

There is that to a degree, but also the Hawks just had three years of Lick and were in terrible shape. Not really surprising that the HS Player of the Year would want to go to an established program, and not take a chance with another new coach.....

That is why Josh Oglesby's commit was so important, he broke the trend of elite players leaving the state. His decision also helped Mike G and Adam decide to become Hawks.....

I agree with alot of what you wrote other than you using Oglesby and the word Elite to possibly describe him in HS. He was pretty good. But he was not on the level of any of the KS or NC kids that got away let alone the Dean Olivers, Jeff Horners Ricky Davis Glen Worleys of the state do I need to go on. I could be wrong but I don't think his suiters for college were too vast. (I know Worley didn't have a great career but coming out of HS he was a 4 star big get.)

I agree with alot of what you wrote other than you using Oglesby and the word Elite to possibly describe him in HS. He was pretty good. But he was not on the level of any of the KS or NC kids that got away let alone the Dean Olivers, Jeff Horners Ricky Davis Glen Worleys of the state do I need to go on. I could be wrong but I don't think his suiters for college were too vast. (I know Worley didn't have a great career but coming out of HS he was a 4 star big get.)
Josh was a top 130 recruit and highly regarded, certainly not harrison barnes, but the Timing of his commitment was key. Uthoff hsd just decided to go to Wisconsin and all we had was Melsohn, who was a complete unknown......

I would consider him an Iowa Elite player.....

Of course, Melsohn worked out much better than expected his freshman year....

To capture a top 150 recruit at the time was outstanding. Nobody wanted to play at Iowa after the damage Lick had done to the program.....

It just seemed to be a big deal to me at the time.....

http://hawkcentral.com/2010/09/29/iowa-basketball-josh-oglesby-commits-to-iowa/ http://hawkcentral.com/2010/09/29/iowa-basketball-josh-oglesby-commits-to-iowa/

Last edited:
I think he couldn't fully realize what he was getting into. You don't REALLY know how you're going to fit in until you get there. Things didn't work out the way he'd hoped.

As for not feeling sorry for him: I take that approach when considering his 1-year wait to play. That's the penalty for having chosen poorly. What Bo was doing was absolute overkill.

Yeah, I don't think anyone really feels bad for Utoff.

He was not up to the challenge of playing for one of the home state schools that were rebuilding. IMO it serves him right that it backfired on him.

That being said the fact that Bo is making a total *** of himself and is now being called out as a bold faced liar is completely awesome.

Yeah, I don't think anyone really feels bad for Utoff.

He was not up to the challenge of playing for one of the home state schools that were rebuilding. IMO it serves him right that it backfired on him.

That being said the fact that Bo is making a total *** of himself and is now being called out as a bold faced liar is completely awesome.

Correct.
This has less to do with Uthoff and more to do with Bo Ryan.

Its strange to think about now but Worley did have offers from Kansas and MSU.

Oglesby was a significant recruit for Iowa basketball, for a couple reasons. One of the top players out of Iowa didn't go to another BIG school, nor did he go to ISU. Oglesby was also a Top 150 recruit; him going to Iowa showed a huge leap of faith and belief for Fran. Don't think other recruits don't pay attention to things like that especially younger recruits.

On to Uthoff, I do have some sympathy for the kid, I really don't think it would have ever been his intent to be speaking to all these media outlets. I highly doubt that he wants all this attention. Be bigger people here and not be bitter still that he didn't choose Iowa. I still think his choice came down to wins and losses of a program, he took the best offer that he had without clear thought. It is very easy for kids to see past everything else and just go to a program that is winning compared to ones that haven't been. Also, it doesn't seem like Uthoff went to Wisconsin thinking he would ever consider transferring...people make mistakes. Now that he wants out and all the crap that has come out since is really making Bo look like a turd, which most of us Iowa fans have known for quite a while.

Latest posts