USA Today Poll Released

I see they put Virginia in front of us. I guess beating them on their home floor by double digits last year did nothing for us.

It is a little odd considering we are returning almost our entire team and are adding a small but talented class. The only justification would be if Virginia is also returning nearly all of their talent and has a much better incoming class. Seems unlikely.

Kentucky ranked #1 is a joke. Just more proof that pre-season polls are stupid.

If I were to pick a National Champion today, it would be Kentucky hands down. It isn't all about their freshman class either, the guys returning look like the class of a couple years ago when Kentucky won it all.

People think Iowa will be a deep team, which they will. Kentucky will be able to go 9 deep in just 5-star recruits. It is one thing to have talent and I know how they can struggle when they get to college, but there is so much talent and a lot of it returning as well.

They will lose some games, but come March, I don't see anyone beating them. Willie Cauley-Stein is going to dominate offensively and defensively. Don't be surprised if he gets NPOY consideration.

My Final Four today is: Kentucky, Kansas, MSU and Duke

That could change, take MSU out and put in Louisville.

Just out of the Top 25. perfect. This is exactly where we need to be "ranked" going into the season.

"Yeah, you guys are a lot better, plenty of solid talent, a real team now...Fran is putting it together. But we need to see more."

Go get em Hawks...

Please explain how Iowa deserves to be ranked 20-25th in the USA Today polls. TIA.

They are ranked on about every other poll but I am fine where the coaches have them ranked. The long NIT run was nice but that would not sway too many votes since they did not actually win it, having almost everyone back from that team is the biggest factor. With the improved non conference Iowa will have a chance to take care of the rankings on the court.

Please explain how Iowa deserves to be ranked 20-25th in the USA Today polls. TIA.

They are just on the outside of the top 25, and are in the top 30. It really isn't a big deal. Who cares if they are 29 or 25 or 22 in this poll? It is a preseason poll.

It is a little odd considering we are returning almost our entire team and are adding a small but talented class. The only justification would be if Virginia is also returning nearly all of their talent and has a much better incoming class. Seems unlikely.
"Coaches" poll is really kind of a stretch, isn't it? The coaches probably have some semi-cluless grad assistant do the list for them.

If I were to pick a National Champion today, it would be Kentucky hands down. It isn't all about their freshman class either, the guys returning look like the class of a couple years ago when Kentucky won it all.

People think Iowa will be a deep team, which they will. Kentucky will be able to go 9 deep in just 5-star recruits. It is one thing to have talent and I know how they can struggle when they get to college, but there is so much talent and a lot of it returning as well.

They will lose some games, but come March, I don't see anyone beating them. Willie Cauley-Stein is going to dominate offensively and defensively. Don't be surprised if he gets NPOY consideration.

My Final Four today is: Kentucky, Kansas, MSU and Duke

That could change, take MSU out and put in Louisville.

IMO Kentucky is still to young. On paper they are, by far, the most talented team but freshman tend to make freshman mistakes. I know it could happen but I cannot recall a freshman dominated team ever winning the NC. I know Carmelo Anthony did it leading Syracuse to a NC as a freshman but he had a pretty good supporting cast.

Five B1G teams land in Coaches Top 25 « Big Ten Network

Dienhart feels pretty strongly that we should be in:

No doubt, Indiana is getting a massive benefit of the doubt by appearing in this poll after losing four 1,000-point scorers. The stalwarts gone: Cody Zeller and Victor Oladipo. Yes, Indiana welcomes the most decorated collection of newcomers, led by Noah Vonleh. Still, Zeller and Oladipo were seasoned franchise players.

And the last time I saw Yogi Ferrell, he was getting blanked in the NCAA tourney by Temple and then Syracuse. I think IU has some growing pains in the early going. No way this team should be ranked and Iowa isn’t.

IMO Kentucky is still to young. On paper they are, by far, the most talented team but freshman tend to make freshman mistakes. I know it could happen but I cannot recall a freshman dominated team ever winning the NC. I know Carmelo Anthony did it leading Syracuse to a NC as a freshman but he had a pretty good supporting cast.

2 years ago, Kentucky won the title with Anthony Davis (#1 pick in the draft), Michael Kidd-Gilchrist (#2), and Marquis Teague starting as freshman. I believe this freshman class is rated higher than that one.

NCAA Championship 2012: Kentucky freshmen rule?with a little help - NCAA Basketball - Sporting News

I really don't care that Iowa is in top 25 PRESEASON poll. IMO, they shouldn't anyway. Until Iowa proves they can once again win consistently on the road (one of the worst road teams in Big Ten the past decade) and don't lose to inferior teams (Nebraska, PSU, VT, Campbell, Northwestern, etc.) then they aren't top 25 material IMO. With Iowa's schedule I don't know that they even make it in the rankings this season unless they can beat a bunch of ranked teams and they will have plenty of opportunities to do that. But also a lot of opportunities to lose quite a few games too. I think they win around 20 games in regular season. But until Iowa proves they can beat good teams and not lose against inferior opponents, I won't believe otherwise. It's been that way for years now and it's time to change that. Until then I will continue to believe team is the same until they prove me wrong.

Anyway, all I care about is them being one of the 68 in the NCAA tourney come March. That's all we should care about. Just make the tourney.

I really don't care that Iowa is in top 25 PRESEASON poll. IMO, they shouldn't anyway. Until Iowa proves they can once again win consistently on the road (one of the worst road teams in Big Ten the past decade) and don't lose to inferior teams (Nebraska, PSU, VT, Campbell, Northwestern, etc.) then they aren't top 25 material IMO. With Iowa's schedule I don't know that they even make it in the rankings this season unless they can beat a bunch of ranked teams and they will have plenty of opportunities to do that. But also a lot of opportunities to lose quite a few games too. I think they win around 20 games in regular season. But until Iowa proves they can beat good teams and not lose against inferior opponents, I won't believe otherwise. It's been that way for years now and it's time to change that. Until then I will continue to believe team is the same until they prove me wrong.

Anyway, all I care about is them being one of the 68 in the NCAA tourney come March. That's all we should care about. Just make the tourney.

Personally I don't think the Hawks should even be in the NCAA tournament until they prove they can win NCAA tournament games.

Personally I don't think the Hawks should even be in the NCAA tournament until they prove they can win NCAA tournament games.

I agree with hawkfan33, he breaks it down like no one else can. He doesn't just take what someone says, twists it, or mocks it, he really just hits back hard with evidence and a powerful, but based in research and fact, opinion. Good stuff hf33 keep it coming.

Latest posts