Updated depth chart

Who is Tommy Gaul?? ...and is he really the back-up at C behind Ferentz, or would either Blythe/Boffeli move over in the event of an emergency?

i would guess boffeli would go to center if anything happened. i think whoever loses the boffeli/blythe battle could end up pushing tobin at the other guard along with macmillan. in the zone scheme it is more about having your 5 best ol than looking at each guy as only a guard or tackle.

i would guess boffeli would go to center if anything happened. i think whoever loses the boffeli/blythe battle could end up pushing tobin at the other guard along with macmillan. in the zone scheme it is more about having your 5 best ol than looking at each guy as only a guard or tackle.

Sounds logical.

Who is Tommy Gaul?? ...and is he really the back-up at C behind Ferentz, or would either Blythe/Boffeli move over in the event of an emergency?

What about Eric Simmons - JUCO kid? I thought he enrolled early and looked good this Spring/Fall.

What about Eric Simmons - JUCO kid? I thought he enrolled early and looked good this Spring/Fall.

i have heard he will redshirt...dont know how legit the info is but i think it will happen.

Hamilton must be doing well to be listed as co back up. I bet he ends up beating out Derby at some point in the season.

My initial impression is about the same as last year. A severe experiance gap. And a lot of questions with no good answers.

Carl Davis at 310 looks promising. Couple of 300lb+ LT's.

No ticket to Indy this year. $75 game tickets. Hoping for a +.500 season with a $2.5 million a year coach. Kind of like a Diet coke and a candy bar.

No ticket to Indy this year. $75 game tickets. Hoping for a +.500 season with a $2.5 million a year coach. Kind of like a Diet coke and a candy bar.

Great point ...you should start a thread discussing how much KF is over paid, and who Iowa could "easily" get to replace him for that kind of money :rolleyes:

Nearly every team across the nation feels they have a young team, despite a select few. Not sure why every year the team is 'young' at Iowa.

I'm not sure why either. I'm specifically talking about this year. I think having 14 Freshmen (redshirt or true) on your 2 deeps classifies as a young team. Would you disagree?

I'm not sure why either. I'm specifically talking about this year. I think having 14 Freshmen (redshirt or true) on your 2 deeps classifies as a young team. Would you disagree?

I just read something that had Iowa having as more or as many returning starters as Michigan, Minnesota, NW, Penn State, Wisconsin.

That was written a during spring ball, so maybe that has changed.

Last edited:
Nearly every team across the nation feels they have a young team, despite a select few. Not sure why every year the team is 'young' at Iowa.

Well if you follow the Hawks the past 10 years or so, I would venture to guess that this will be one of the youngest teams KF has had.

I just read something that had Iowa having as more or as many returning starters as Michigan, Minnesota, NW, Penn State, Wisconsin.

That was written a during spring ball, so maybe that has changed.

Interesting. The reason it's magnified in my opinion this year is because there is a lot of youth at RB and DL. Those two units are very young.

I count 5 returning on offense and 5 on defense. I could have missed a couple though.

Returning starters

T-9. Iowa (total of 12)
Offense: 6 (QB included)
Defense: 5
Special teams: 1
National rank: T-96th

Interesting. The reason it's magnified in my opinion this year is because there is a lot of youth at RB and DL. Those two units are very young.

I count 5 returning on offense and 5 on defense. I could have missed a couple though.

I thought RB and DL were young last year too, so that has to be midly disappointing.

But yeah.. you are right... Hawks should be pretty young this year.

I thought RB and DL were young last year too, so that has to be midly disappointing.

But yeah.. you are right... Hawks should be pretty young this year.

Yeah, what i meant when i posted that was basically..We've known for 2 years that we're going to be young, especially at D line. Running back obviously wasn't expected as much. Certainly disappointing recruiting on the Dline for a couple years and it's catching up with us. I think things are straightened out though and there's some nice talent coming up, granted young and inexperienced.

Yeah, what i meant when i posted that was basically..We've known for 2 years that we're going to be young, especially at D line. Running back obviously wasn't expected as much. Certainly disappointing recruiting on the Dline for a couple years and it's catching up with us. I think things are straightened out though and there's some nice talent coming up, granted young and inexperienced.

It's not as much the recruiting on DL as the guys that have left in their first few years. I think we'll be able to keep a few more of those guys now that the sideline won't be as loud :D

Latest posts