Updated Bracketology 1/23

Odd. I thought I read on here somewhere that we are on the bubble or completely out at this point...
Wait and see where things stand after Saturday. If they step up, then maybe a 5 seed. If they hang their heads and have a beat down thrown on them, the doubts will be real.
Name our quality wins this year.....@ Ohio St then crickets. That's my bigger concern right now.

Wait and see where things stand after Saturday. If they step up, then maybe a 5 seed. If they hang their heads and have a beat down thrown on them, the doubts will be real.
Name our quality wins this year.....@ Ohio St then crickets. That's my bigger concern right now.

Tell me how many times we've suffered a "beat down" this season. I consider a "beat down" to be at least a 15 point loss where a team is totally dominated. Nothing close to this has happened. Our losses...

Villanova 83-88 (OT)
Iowa State 82-85
Wisconsin 71-75
Michigan 67-75
Michigan State 69-71 (OT)
Ohio State 69-76

Minny and Xavier.

I dont see Iowa's seed changing much as long as they hold serve, which they have been doing. The Hawks do not have a bad loss right now and I dont see a bad loss getting hung on this team this year. Look at the 4-6 seeds and about every one of them has a bad loss on their resume.

4 Seeds:

Wisconsin- lost at home to NU
ISU- not a bad loss on their resume, IMO
Kentucky- lost to Arkansas and Baylor, not terrible losses
Virginia- Lost by 35 at Tennessee

5 Seeds:

Texas- lost to BYU on a neutral court
Louisville- no bad losses
Iowa- worst loss is at home to OSU, who is sitting at a 5 seed right now
Ohio State- lost at home to PSU

6 Seeds:

UCLA- lost at Utah
Oklahoma- lost against LA Tech
Oklahoma State- lost at home to Baylor
Saint Louis- no bad losses

Odd. I thought I read on here somewhere that we are on the bubble or completely out at this point...

I think they said we don't have that Tournament toughness needed to compete for very long like Michigan St. does. Nobody there would be stupid enough to go from 5 ceiling and 12 floor on Michigan. "Except the players. " Only in Detroit would they make someone else fear...you know what? Screw it, a Dictator costume. He pulled out a potato with a small hole cut in it. That would only expose his THINGY, then immediately the whole costume fiasco. After times with fake dragons and fake dragon scares hunters of any sort are now NEW LIFE RULES! People like psychics timing you to call in fast with your CCN to get an important message, for starters.

We may very well be on the bubble. Just read off your CCN and they'll gladly open it all up.

Tell me how many times we've suffered a "beat down" this season. I consider a "beat down" to be at least a 15 point loss where a team is totally dominated. Nothing close to this has happened. Our losses...

Villanova 83-88 (OT)
Iowa State 82-85
Wisconsin 71-75
Michigan 67-75
Michigan State 69-71 (OT)
Ohio State 69-76

The Michigan game was pretty ugly for a while if memory serves me.
You know, nobody gives a hoot that our losses were close. If they did, we'd have been in the Dance last year. Seriously, what are our quality wins this year? Xavier and Ohio St. And we have 6 losses, all to good teams, that tend to swamp those 2 big wins. Last 5 games- 2 and 3. And 2 losses at home. If someone were to sit down and objectively look at our record this year, they would not be particularly impressed.

Look, I WANT us to do well the rest of the season. But one thing my academic time at Iowa taught me is to deal with facts, and not what I want to see. I'm a researcher, and I've got to look at things as they are, not how I'd like them to be.

You know, nobody gives a hoot that our losses were close. If they did, we'd have been in the Dance last year. Seriously, what are our quality wins this year? Xavier and Ohio St. And we have 6 losses, all to good teams, that tend to swamp those 2 big wins. Last 5 games- 2 and 3. And 2 losses at home. If someone were to sit down and objectively look at our record this year, they would not be particularly impressed.

Look, I WANT us to do well the rest of the season. But one thing my academic time at Iowa taught me is to deal with facts, and not what I want to see. I'm a researcher, and I've got to look at things as they are, not how I'd like them to be.

I believe Iowa was down by 11 or 12 at two points in the 2nd half but did close to within 3 with about 2:00 left. It was a big possession and somebody left the lane wide open for and alley-oop and that was that.

I agree that Iowa doesn't hold a lot of quality wins. Xavier, Minnesota, & OSU are the best and neither of the 3 is all that impressive. But as others have pointed out, no really bad losses either. And when you compare them to to many other teams in the nation this year, its a fairly notable accomplishment.

If iowa goes 11-7 or 10-8 in the conference, they will get a 5 seed.

A 9-9 plus a BTT win will get them a 6 seed. A 9-9 and one and done in the BTT will put them on the bubble or a chance to sneak in as a 7 seed.

This is the RPI but for what it's worth...

Iowa is 1-6 vs. top 17 RPI teams (0-1 home/1-5 a/n). Now we'll see how much weight there is to an inability to beat top RPI teams when two more come to Iowa City. Some talking heads were saying (and most of us were agreeing) that Iowa would be better this year and may not have a better B1G record to show for it because of the schedule just mentioned. But Iowa needs to sweep Mich/Wisky for "good wins" and alter perceptions.

Iowa is 6-0 vs 20-100 RPI teams (with 3 more games against teams in that span = 2 away)

Those current numbers indicate that Iowa is a Sweet 16 caliber team; that was probably what most of us were hoping for at the beginning of the season ....

until talking heads started saying this was an elite8 or final4 or 86-87 caliber team and now the team sucks, Fran can't coach right and the season is wasted.

yeah, right.

Can they get further than the sweet16? Yeah, I think so. Most of the current data is away games so it is weighted against the perception of Iowa being that good of a team. The OSU loss at home doesn't help perceptions.

I'm just wondering where you learned to just make stuff up to suit yourself. Troll!

This is the RPI but for what it's worth...

Iowa is 1-6 vs. top 17 RPI teams (0-1 home/1-5 a/n). Now we'll see how much weight there is to an inability to beat top RPI teams when two more come to Iowa City. Some talking heads were saying (and most of us were agreeing) that Iowa would be better this year and may not have a better B1G record to show for it because of the schedule just mentioned. But Iowa needs to sweep Mich/Wisky for "good wins" and alter perceptions.

Iowa is 6-0 vs 20-100 RPI teams (with 3 more games against teams in that span = 2 away)

Those current numbers indicate that Iowa is a Sweet 16 caliber team; that was probably what most of us were hoping for at the beginning of the season ....

until talking heads started saying this was an elite8 or final4 or 86-87 caliber team and now the team sucks, Fran can't coach right and the season is wasted.

yeah, right.

Can they get further than the sweet16? Yeah, I think so. Most of the current data is away games so it is weighted against the perception of Iowa being that good of a team. The OSU loss at home doesn't help perceptions.

Before the big ten season started 9/10 people on here expected a split with Ohio State. It just so happens that they each won away. Ohio State will get it together before the season is over so a win @ OSU will end up being a quality win.

Before the big ten season started 9/10 people on here expected a split with Ohio State. It just so happens that they each won away. Ohio State will get it together before the season is over so a win @ OSU will end up being a quality win.

Very good point.

If iowa goes 11-7 or 10-8 in the conference, they will get a 5 seed.

A 9-9 plus a BTT win will get them a 6 seed. A 9-9 and one and done in the BTT will put them on the bubble or a chance to sneak in as a 7 seed.

Bubble and sneaking in as a 7 seed do not belong in the same sentence.

Bubble teams make up mostly the 11 and 12 seeds.

Make that 3 of us that will be wrong. The 1st round starts on Thursday usually around 11:20 p.m. CST.

Make that four. The round of 64 to me will always be the first round, no matter what the NCAA and HawkIPA try to call those 4 other games.

On a more relevant note, looks like Bracketology has us as a 5 seed. I'd take it, but Iowa needs to start playing well again if it wants to avoid dropping into that 7-9 seed territory.

Don't want to be playing a 1 or 2 seed in the SECOND round. Yeah, I have to say that to irritate those who want to follow the second/third round terminology. :p

Latest posts