Update on the Miller Family

Yes. That is what she has. It was getting worse and worse. Even bugging her late in this cold spring. Since we came down here in early June, just one flare up. It's pretty freaky to see your spouses hands look like a cadaver on half and normal on the other half.

My wife's mom has this disease, and they have two places. One in Minneapolis, and one near Naples, FL. It's hard to extract her from Florida!

I wish you nothing but the best. I enjoy your work. I hope you are still on Sound Off, I do not want to lose you and Jim in the same year. We need a voice of reason to talk us off the ledge. Seriously good luck, I am sure Pin2Win will find you at the NCAA in OKC in March. GO HAWKS!!

As a Hawkeye fan, this news disappoints and upsets me. As a family man, I completely understand the decision and would do the same thing.

I will miss your "on the side" segments and other insider information that you were able to give us since you were a man on the inside.

Hoping the move makes life much more enjoyable for your wife. I can't imagine what she must have been going through.

Watch out for the 'hog fans up there. A former co-worker of mine now lives up there and says that there is a large Arkansas fan base up there.

As a Hawkeye fan, this news disappoints and upsets me....I will miss your "on the side" segments and other insider information that you were able to give us since you were a man on the inside..

I made it over to a couple in season pressers in 2009 & 2010...none the last two years....I went to four home games in 2010 with BTN work...those were the first four and last four I went to since 2003. A friend provided me the on the side audio, which I transcribed, and gave him the quotes, too as typing that up can be tedious. I'm still gonna talk with the same people I have always talked with....quite frankly, living in West Des Moines or Tulsa won't matter...other than some vibe stuff you pick up by being about town...and even then, Iowa City is different than WDM. There are at least 7 or 8 other outlets covering the daily beat....and then its just looking for an angle to a story, like who someone is, etc...I prefer and enjoy more analytical pieces and I can do that from Alaska.

I think you'll be surprised at how little things chance, other than a redesign we have coming up...nothing for the worse IMO and many things that will be added to the fold.

I made it over to a couple in season pressers in 2009 & 2010...none the last two years....I went to four home games in 2010 with BTN work...those were the first four and last four I went to since 2003. A friend provided me the on the side audio, which I transcribed, and gave him the quotes, too as typing that up can be tedious. I'm still gonna talk with the same people I have always talked with....quite frankly, living in West Des Moines or Tulsa won't matter...other than some vibe stuff you pick up by being about town...and even then, Iowa City is different than WDM. There are at least 7 or 8 other outlets covering the daily beat....and then its just looking for an angle to a story, like who someone is, etc...I prefer and enjoy more analytical pieces and I can do that from Alaska.

I think you'll be surprised at how little things chance, other than a redesign we have coming up...nothing for the worse IMO and many things that will be added to the fold.

Jon-
  • As a west coast dweller here in Palm Desert, Ca. I can relate somewhat what your wife is going thru. I have a bad back which flares up at least 1x a month and the heat down here helps out a lot. Love Iowa but I don't think I will ever move back there, especially the winters. Tulsa, OK is a nice town with good people. Been there, you will like it. Good luck and thanks for keeping this site up and going.

All the best to you and your family Jon.

You run a hellofa website...damn happy you continue to put up with all of us clowns....

Aww man, you just killed the magic for me. Here I thought I had my guy on the inside giving me all the scoop and it turns out he was just using a middle man. :D

Aww man, you just killed the magic for me. Here I thought I had my guy on the inside giving me all the scoop and it turns out he was just using a middle man. :D

LOL...the on the side thing was always a group of reporters session anyway. No one person gets that much time with Kirk each week. And most scoops, or inside info, that comes from phone/relationship work anyway

I sure hope you continue with SoundOff!! It's a big part of the gameday experience for thousands of Hawkeye football fans. Can WHO set you up in Tulsa the same way they set up Z in Arizona??

We all like to think that a Saturday win is the end al be all but when it all gets put into perspective, nothing is more about important than family.

You are a good man JD.

Oh..one more thing. Do you expect this move to Tulsa to impact the launch of the new state of the art recruiting page?

As a Clone fan, have always respected you on this website and when you had a KXNO show. Wish you and your family all the best. Glad you can continue living out some of your passions.

On a less important subject, even as a Hawk fan, will you attend Iowa State at Tulsa this year?

Just seeing this news, Jon, wow. I have no doubt you'll continue to run this thing just like you have since the day I met you some nearly 15 years ago. Anyone that has followed you knows that.... whether in Iowa, Kansas, Illinois, or Oklahoma. The site will not suffer, in fact I am sure you will continue to come up with even better ideas in the future.

Anyhow- I wish you and your family the best. I know I will personally miss Soundoff if you dont come back - gets me through a lot of late night drives back to MN. Regardless, you did the right thing here brother.

Jon, you and I were posting on the bigten.org website back in 1999-2000.
I've followed your geographic moves and during those non-compete times, and have always enjoyed your news and opinion on everything Hawkeye related.
We've never met, but know that you are a family man and a man of Christian faith.
In Nashville, we just lost our free internet newspaper (Nashville City Paper) after 12+ years, and this model of free content is rare, and the work that you have done is much appreciative.

I just saw this thread today, but want to wish you and your family best wishes and good luck. I'm sure God has a plan for you! All right, then.

Jon, I guess the few weeks I stepped away from here the site was not as slow as I thought...I missed this thread entirely. My hats off to you on your move (and work changes) with dignity, for both your family AND online business relationships, as your transition appears seamless here on HN. A change is always good for the blood, and moving, while a pain in the rear and as stressful as it is, can also be construed as fun (sans the house closing stress, bugs, & temporary living arrangements).

Your life is a book, and this has been the start of a new chapter. The new chapters help you with life's timelines and places of reference as you get older. I've spent years with family items/furniture in storage as we relocated, a cleansing and purging is healthy....and you get to make many new friends. Best of luck to you in Okie (there are some great recreational lakes just outside of Tulsa that I have fond (and faint) memories of good times from long ago - your family will enjoy), and thanks for keeping the site going.

I appreciate all of the sentiments shared in this thread and in other ways. My wife has been thriving in the heat down here and having spent a great deal of time analyzing the average winter temps and the days below freezing, I think its going to turn out to be a great thing for her. We feel very blessed.