Update on the Miller Family

Jon, very admirable and I hope everything works out for you and yours...

As a young Iowan, I'm beginning to think moving south isn't such a bad idea...I love the state...but I HATE the winters here. Let me know what you think of Tulsa!!

Moving is the worst. Moving your stuff 500 miles to find termites then having to move it into storage knowing you are gonna have to move it again in a few weeks (months) is megasuck.

New church we found really came through. Had 15 guys today helping. Got everything from storage into the house between 9a-noon. Record time and it was an amazing gift.

Very happy for you that you found a good church so fast. That's one of the big reasons why we don't want to move. A good church can be very hard to find.

FreedComanche

Good Luck JDM. When you move in you should get a surprise gift for the kids. Buy them a puppy or something. Nothing better than a puppy in the house.

Always nice finding a welcoming Church. It took us a bit longer when we moved to Cali to find a Church we liked.

Good Luck JDM. When you move in you should get a surprise gift for the kids. Buy them a puppy or something. Nothing better than a puppy in the house.

Always nice finding a welcoming Church. It took us a bit longer when we moved to Cali to find a Church we liked.

They got a pool a d 1,25 acres fenced in. That's enuf ;)

Costs are so much lower here. I really think the saying "in the land of the blind the man with one eye is king" came from here. Or Story County.

Sorry to hear about your wife's situation, thought and prayers out to you, her, and the family. Hopefully the move helps her quality of life. As long as the family is together, you can make a home wherever you are.

They got a pool a d 1,25 acres fenced in. That's enuf ;)

Costs are so much lower here. I really think the saying "in the land of the blind the man with one eye is king" came from here. Or Story County.

Just curious, do they have basements there?

Jon, I wish you and your family the best. I know it is tough relocating from the area you love. I have read your stuff since you were at the other site and just can't stay away from your site. I don't post much on here, just read, but I wanted to let you know that this is the BEST Hawkeye site out there and we all appreciate everything you do. Best Wishes. P.S. Please see what you can do to take over as the lead on Sound-Off ( I think it is your destiny, and what Jim would want). Best regards. Jon

Very sorry your personal situation required you to uproot the family and move 500 miles further from your beloved Hawkeyes. You are correct, computers, high-speed internet, other new technology will allow you to stay connected just the same. Life happens. Things occur for a reason and some times they are for the best, even though we may not realize it at the time. Sounds like that may be the case here.

Good luck!

P.S. Curious about the termites and your wish/ability to cancel the sale. We ran into that problem on our move to the mid-Atlantic more than 20 years ago. Termite infestations are not uncommon around here-- most of the houses in our township have them. You treat for them and have them checked about every 10 years and get on with life.

I really can't add anything that hasn't already been stated. It sucks when a hawkeye fan leaves central Iowa, but you do what you gotta do. i hate rattling off cliches, but that is all I have at the moment. You mentioned you are taking on partner I don't know if that is still on the agenda or not, regardless if it allows you to interact with users on the message board on more of a regular basis that would be a good thing. thoughts and prayers for you and your family.......Good luck with future endeavors.

The worst is having your stuff in storage. VintageHawkeye has been incredibly irritable of late because he has his food dehydrater in storage and he has been unable to make beef jerkey at home. He says the stuff from the store doesn't have enough salt.

What item that was in storage was the hardest for you to live without?

Store-bought beef jerky SUCKS. Bad.

What item that was in storage was the hardest for you to live without?

This is a good question and one I asked my 4 year old and my 10 year old the other day. The four year old said 'her toys' and the 10 year old said 'her stuff'. I couldn't get them to be more specific. We packed them a two-week suitcase in early June as they were staying with family while we moved. Those clothes and that was all they had access to for the next two months as all the stuff was in storage and the unit was so expertly packed that there was no jacking with it. For me, it was our bed. I slept on the couch most of the summer and my back is shot.

I will say this though...as we moved it all back in yesterday and also as we came to realize this summer, we have too much stuff, we don't need it and we are going to pare it way down and give it away. As much as I'd rather not do something like that again, we all learned some valuable lessons.

Jon, very admirable and I hope everything works out for you and yours...

As a young Iowan, I'm beginning to think moving south isn't such a bad idea...I love the state...but I HATE the winters here. Let me know what you think of Tulsa!!

I feel very fortunate and blessed to have been able to stay at home (ie office at home most of time) 10 years with my girls, and do so 8 of those years in Iowa. I didn't leave it easily and while the winters were getting to me a bit the older I got, it's a great place to be. There are also other great places to be.

In Tulsa last year, there were just 18 days all winter with the high under 40 and none under 20. Half of of the days in december and january were 50 degrees or higher with several in the 60's.

Also to MNHawk: very few basements. The house we have does not have one. May build a shelter in the floor of the garage, where you park over top of it most days and if there is a story coming you can still get into it. Pic below. I was down here on May 20 when the first round of F5's hit Moore...and they were heading towards Tulsa (90min N-NE). They died out before they got here and folks say that most do. My hunch: Tulsa has a very undulating topography...its at the 'foothills' of the Ozarks...there is a line 'mountains' on the west edge of town that sort of are like a flattened 'C' on that side...I am guessing that those jack with wind shear, as very few major tornados have ever hit Tulsa...and none has ever hit Owasso, or at least in the 150 years or so of recorded weather history.

flatsafeshelter-MED.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks. I've had the chance to live out childhood dreams and I have zero regrets. Plus, I get to keep doing all the things I love to do and am always lookin for ways to make this place better.

God Bless John. I have been following your posts since the early days on the Bigten message board and when you were sending emails. You are a fortunate man to live out your Hawkeye dreams. Must have been a blast to rub shoulders with Zabel. Thanks for this forum.

God Bless John. I have been following your posts since the early days on the Bigten message board and when you were sending emails. You are a fortunate man to live out your Hawkeye dreams. Must have been a blast to rub shoulders with Zabel. Thanks for this forum.

Most all I have done has been a blast, and I believe the days that are to come with this site and whatever that entails will also be a blast. This ain't a goodbye folks ;) Just a change of zip code.

I really do want to give folks a try who have ideas related to regular columns, angles, etc..things that are unique and something they are fired up about. We are in the process of putting together a site revamp...based on reactive design so regardless of the device you use to view it,it will fit the screen and look good. This basically takes away any need for an app. I we are still going to be investing in this site to improve its quality. So any rumors of my demise will have been greatly exaggerated ;)

Jon, best of luck in Tulsa and I hope your wife finds comfort for her condition there. I live in KC and traveled to Tulsa for the first time for my son's soccer tournament this spring. I was very impressed by Tulsa and what seemed to be a high quality of living there. A huge medical presence, so maybe they will be able to help your wife out as well? Hopefully you have become accustomed to the toll roads there? I inadvertently ran through two of them in one day! My Bad!