University Heights police say they will NOT enforce new tailgate restrictions

Hippie...I missed the sixties as I was a little young, but I certainly would have enjoyed being a college student during the "Summer of Love" listening to the Dead, the Stones, and the Who in their prime...and i would have smoked one up occasionally also.

I'm sure you would have enjoyed your Tony Bennett with Biff and the gang in the frat.

Shada, I don't want to get personal. I don't live in Iowa City, but I was a huge Hawk fan when I was in school, went to every home game for four years, and I'm still a big Hawk fan. It's just weird to think this change is necessary and warranted.

Such a statement would seem to be at odds with the one directly above it.

There haven't been any changes; what is happening is that the laws all ready on the books are now being enforced.

Come on! To me, this doesn't seem like a big deal.

What is rarely mentioned is how all of this conveniently coincided with the new 21 ordinance in downtown IC. Like it or not (IMHO, I think the drinking age should be 18), the new rules re: football tailgating are the Universities response to being called out by the
"anti-21" groups in IC. In other words, they publically came out this summer and said "why the hell should the drinking age in downtown IC be 21, when the UI hosts & doesn't enforce the largest binge drinking party in the state every UI football home game".

Nearly every important person in the hierarchy of UI politics has supported the 21 ordinance, and they finally realized that they would look like hypocrites if they continued to turn a blind eye to, most notably, the people walking around with open containers...admit it, whether you like it or not, I remember that my most memorable moment of my first UI football game, was the shear number of people walking around with beers.

So here is what I predict. The 21 ordinance will be repealled in the november election. The students will come out in force, and vote it down. Then the UI will back off this policy because I am sure they don't enjoy paying all those extra security & cops to enforce these laws.

While the the <21 ordinance is a possible reason for the aggressive enforcement of these rules I don't buy it. Whenever the binge drinking comment comes up UI admin. always points to Nebraska and what they did to get their binge drinking problem under control. Guess what you can't do at Nebraska in university lots on gameday. That's right drink alcohol of any kind. The next step Iowa will do is outlaw drinking on their lots. It's coming. IMO there is a good chance it happens next year.

There haven't been any changes; what is happening is that the laws all ready on the books are now being enforced.

The fact that they are now enforcing things is a change. So you can't say there are no changes. That statement makes no sense. In other words, there were rules that were ignored since the dawn of tailgating and starting yesterday they decided to enforce them. So there is your change. And it's a significant change. I don't care about not being able to carry beer down Melrose (and frankly can't figure out why anyone cares about that). But not being able to play friendly drinking games and listen to music is ridiculous.

Latest posts