UNI/Wisconsin, B1G argument

I used to want every B1G team we played in a season to win, every B1G team we didn't play in a season to loose, against non conference schools. I wanted every higher ranked school we played in a season to beat every lower ranked school they played for the same reason. This helped w/ the computer rankings.

2009 was a great example year, our strength of schedule was way up there. At one point the teams we beat were 15 games above .500. Like KF said, "the computers haven't seen us play", which helped mitigate all of the homers voting in the polls.

Now that we have divisions and a play off game there is a chance that we could end up facing any one of the Leaders division schools in the conference championship game. I'm not sure how computers figure into the new BCS format but beating schools with winning records always looks good.

Therefore, reluctantly, I have to pull for Bucky in this one.

One thing is for sure. If the Panthers pull off a huge upset in Madison this weekend then we had better destroy them when we meet or the Hawkeyes, and the B1G, will be the whipping boys of the BCS this year.

GO UNI.

A good UW is not good for Iowa unless of course as someone said we are in NC discussion. A good UM or OSU is good for B1G. We recruit against UW for a lg % of our guys.

The idea that a Wisconsin loss would hurt Iowa's BCS bowl chances: I'll happily deal with that fallout if it somehow comes into play. I'm more optimistic than some fans about this season, but I think Iowa will do plenty to hurt their own BCS chances.

I really don't understand the obsession with the Big Ten's reputation.

Ok, you discount the BCS factor, strange... but will let that slide.

Howabout the recruiting aspect. If you are a talented HS prospect, do you want to go play for a champion team/school in a weak conference (ACC)... or would you rather be playing for a title contender in a strong conference with featured games shown during prime time week after week??

I really don't understand the obsession with the Big Ten's reputation.

How about the Big Ten had the reputation of the Big East? Or the MAC? That you'd have to go undefeated to be ranked in the top 20?

I really don't understand the people who think conference reputation is meaningless.

I'll be cheering for UNI but think Wiscy will win by at least 25.
Tough place for the Panthers RS freshman QB to make his debut.

Howabout the recruiting aspect. If you are a talented HS prospect, do you want to go play for a champion team/school in a weak conference (ACC)... or would you rather be playing for a title contender in a strong conference with featured games shown during prime time week after week??

strong conf, but without Wisc being part of the strong equation. Much better from nat'l perception standpoint to have strong OSU and UM, than strong UW and MSU teams.

Wisky being ave is better for Iowa. We recruit against them, not really against OSU and UM, and some with MSU. I don't even want to talk about Neb.

I hate Wisconsin, probably more than I hate any other B1G team. Any loss they suffer is a good loss. I will back any Iowa based team unless they are playing the Hawks.

The possibility that Wisconsin loses to UNI and Iowa plays well enough to get into a BCS game but doesn't because the Wisconsin loss hurts their strength of schedule (even though Iowa doesn't even play Wisconsin this year) is about as high as the possibility that there's a recruit out there who really wants to go to Iowa but decides not to because Wisconsin loses to UNI.

And by the way, ACC schools had two top-ten ranked recruiting classes last year, as did the Big Ten. The Big 12 had one, the Pac-12 had two, and the SEC had three.

So everyone wants UNI to be strong enough to beat Wisky, but somehow don't think that team would be strong enough to beat Iowa two weeks later after Iowa is coming off an always tough in-state rivalry game and UNI is coming off a practice game against Central State?

I hope Wisky doesn't only win, but puts a hurting on them that will take longer than 2 weeks to heal.

I hate Wisconsin, and Hate UNI after what they did to Iowa at the Mcleod center....does either team have to win?

Latest posts