unhappy with this season ? whine here

This times 1000. Who gives a pile of monkey crap what you thought you knew before this team even stepped on the field? Preseason expectations are irrelevant. The only thing that matters is what we see on the field. And that offense was horse crap for all but 3 games this season. How many people had picked NW this year as a contender in the West before they played a game? How'd that pick work out? Given our tight ends, great backs, above average qb and line, this team should have won a minimum of 8 games this season.
Not trying to be a jerk, but NW was picked to finish second. That is exactly where they finished, even if they lose today. Which they won’t, so a solid second place by themselves.
But I hear you. Just because we were picked to win 6.5 doesn’t mean that it’s okay. If we were picked to go 0-12, should we be satisfied with 0-12?

Not trying to be a jerk, but NW was picked to finish second. That is exactly where they finished, even if they lose today. Which they won’t, so a solid second place by themselves.
But I hear you. Just because we were picked to win 6.5 doesn’t mean that it’s okay. If we were picked to go 0-12, should we be satisfied with 0-12?

Were they still picked to finish second after they got throttled at Duke? Northwestern got a ton of momentum beating Iowa. A crappy game plan offensively kept us from winning that game.

We should have beaten MSU and jNW if we'd had ANY real offensive game plan.

And Purdue even though those three teams did have pretty salty scoring defenses. You have to score more than 10 against jNW and 15 against Purdue where the last TD came after 59 minutes.

Brian was below average as an OC. I did not apply a W/L to this season, I wanted to see progress and development. In conference, in my opinion, our OC under performed in games: PSU, MSU, jNW, MN, WUs, PU games. He had two high performance games: OSU, kNU. He had an average game: Ill. That is a below C grade, to me. I count the 3 non con games as his practice; which, weren't great but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
Nobody will ever know what kind of OC Brian is as long as he’s working under Kirk.

KOK = Davis = BF with Kirk Ferentz piloting the ship.

Were they still picked to finish second after they got throttled at Duke? Northwestern got a ton of momentum beating Iowa. A crappy game plan offensively kept us from winning that game.
Thank you, that was my point. Last I checked they were up by 7 on the worst team in the BIG late in the third quarter. They certainly haven't looked like a contender for any championships this year.

Surprisingly, I think I agree with this. That game will not be forgotten, but it will be mainly seen as a huge fluke in a meh season where we didn't gain any traction yet again.
Amazing how such a great win can end up being the cause for such a bad taste for the season.

Thank you, that was my point. Last I checked they were up by 7 on the worst team in the BIG late in the third quarter. They certainly haven't looked like a contender for any championships this year.
Picked for second place. Finished second place.

It isn't about the W's for me. It's about the stubborn, stuck-in-the-mud, running into 9 man boxes, lack of imagination, failure to utilize fantastic TE's, inability to recruit competent WR's, yester-year offense that the coaching staff seems to be in love with.

Last edited:
Not necessary "unhappy", but disappointed and frustrated, very frustrated. The losses to NW and PU, and the offense(both execution and gameplan/playcalling) in those 2 games and the Wisky game(and also the MSU game), really put me on tilt more so than any time I can recall. While the huge wins against OSU and nebby helped, the Jekyll and Hyde act was brutal.

I'd happy trade the win against OSU for wins in 3 games we Should have won in MSU, NW, and PU.

Even without a West title, 9-3 would have felt pretty good. I'd add a better showing vs. Wisky, even in a competitive loss, would have given me a better feel like we are within shouting distance of them. As of now, it's Wisky...and everyone else in the West.

So yeah. Pretty Meh, maybe a little worse than "Meh. Frustrating.

7 wins is never a good year, but 7 wins this year, in retrospect, feels somehow less.

I was on the 7-8 win group prior to the year, after PSU I was feeling 8, after MSU 6-7, after OSU maybe 9, after Wisky 8, after Purdue 6.

Very odd year. Not in a overall good way.

I will say this is overall the most frustrating year i can recall, for multiple reasons. It's also the most down I've ever been on KF and the staff overall.
I wouldn't. For fairly obvious reasons. My Ohio friends usually rub it in. Not this year.

The purdue loss stains the season.. but all in all its about 1 west division title in 7 years...

That ratio isn't successful to me.. with the resources we put into football we should not lose at home to incompetent teams consistently.. purdue, northern illinois, central michigan... ect ect.

It's not all about the seasons record its about competing for some kind of championship and being consistent against lesser opponents.

We have not gotten that done consistently for the past 10-12 years.

Yep. Be more satisfied with being right than having fun.

A team that scores 55 points vs Ohio State should be embarrassed....beyond words....losing to Purdue at home...gaining 60 total yards vs Wisconsin....and other listless...heartless performances....hideous coaching....leadership...and results....it would be a reason for mass firings at places like Wisconsin and other high functioning programs which see 7-5 as puke on a floor...

Yes, and here in lies another problem -- when is it ever acceptable that NW is a unanimous pick to finish ahead of Iowa in the division? This should NEVER happen. NW should never be picked to finish ahead of us...evah evah