unhappy with this season ? whine here

NCHawker

When during the season - or when before the season did you get the expectation that Iowa would be better than 7-5.

This question is about YOUR expectation.

I'll hang up and listen.

When during the season - or when before the season did you get the expectation that Iowa would be better than 7-5.

I'll hang up and listen.

Brian was below average as an OC. I did not apply a W/L to this season, I wanted to see progress and development. In conference, in my opinion, our OC under performed in games: PSU, MSU, jNW, MN, WUs, PU games. He had two high performance games: OSU, kNU. He had an average game: Ill. That is a below C grade, to me. I count the 3 non con games as his practice; which, weren't great but i'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited:
Good question.

Before the season I said 7-5 with possibility of 9-3: doable but difficult.

After OSU I definitely 8-4 as the floor and 9-3 was more doable. OSU and the two turds that followed soured my 7-5 preseason expectation.

But basically it boils down to losing to two teams this season Iowa shouldn’t have lost to: in Kinnick to Purdue and NW.

Again.

Not a new complaint in the KF era.

What about you NCHawker?

Good question.

Before the season I said 7-5 with possibility of 9-3: doable but difficult.

After OSU I definitely 8-4 as the floor and 9-3 was more doable. OSU and the two turds that followed soured my 7-5 preseason expectation.

But basically it boils down to losing to two teams this season Iowa shouldn’t have lost to: in Kinnick to Purdue and NW.

Again.

Not a new complaint in the KF era.

We should have beaten MSU and jNW if we'd had ANY real offensive game plan.

I said in June this was a 7-5 teams. I am still disappointed with the 7-5 record though. We were 2-3 in 1 score games, (that doesn't even count Purdue) and it just felt like we should have won at least 1 more of them. 8-4 for me would have felt like 1000% better than shitting the bed against Purdue and going 7-5.

We should have beaten MSU and jNW if we'd had ANY real offensive game plan.

And PSU was our game as well. It would lead us to be undefeated going into OSU. May or may not have turned out as it did, but don't think we lose to Purdue, either. 10-2 in a year where 7-5 was more realistic going in.

It's not about what "we" thought in August. It's what we saw in the weeks since then.

Exactly. And meeting preseason expectations don't automatically make it a successful season? If we're picked to finish last and we finished next to last, should we be ecstatic because we "exceeded expectations"?

Yes, I believe I was saying about 7-5, but it also matters how you get there. If you had told me we'd beat ISU, Nebraska, Minnesota and Ohio State, but still go only 7-5, I'm not sure I'd have believed you. I'd have thought it was a 9-10 win season.

With Iowa's anemic offense, I'd rather not see them masquerade as a 8-4 or better team. #bowlwin

Exactly. And meeting preseason expectations don't automatically make it a successful season? If we're picked to finish last and we finished next to last, should we be ecstatic because we "exceeded expectations"?

Yes, I believe I was saying about 7-5, but it also matters how you get there. If you had told me we'd beat ISU, Nebraska, Minnesota and Ohio State, but still go only 7-5, I'm not sure I'd have believed you. I'd have thought it was a 9-10 win season.

Exactly.

Seems like KFz always wins one he shouldn't and loses on he shouldn't. Unfortunately this team underperformed a lot more than it overperformed. And looking at the last 4 years, we've seen more of the former than the latter.

I'll hang up and listen.

I expected a non-con loss, and was really pleased with the comeback win against ISU. And I basically expected 8-4. I expected losses to OSU/Wisconsin/MSU or NW or Nebraska or Minnesota. If you had told me 7-5 with that scenario, I would have been "ah, okay, whatever".

But to hang 55 and 56 on OSU and Nebby, respectively, and STILL have five losses? There have been other 7-win seasons (not counting bowl game) that were less disappointing to me. Heck, even 2005 and 2010, disappointing as they were, were NOT as disappointing to me.

A bowl win would go a LONG way toward some semblance of "hope".

I'll hang up and listen.

Not necessary "unhappy", but disappointed and frustrated, very frustrated. The losses to NW and PU, and the offense(both execution and gameplan/playcalling) in those 2 games and the Wisky game(and also the MSU game), really put me on tilt more so than any time I can recall. While the huge wins against OSU and nebby helped, the Jekyll and Hyde act was brutal.

I'd happy trade the win against OSU for wins in 3 games we Should have won in MSU, NW, and PU.

Even without a West title, 9-3 would have felt pretty good. I'd add a better showing vs. Wisky, even in a competitive loss, would have given me a better feel like we are within shouting distance of them. As of now, it's Wisky...and everyone else in the West.

So yeah. Pretty Meh, maybe a little worse than "Meh. Frustrating.

7 wins is never a good year, but 7 wins this year, in retrospect, feels somehow less.

I was on the 7-8 win group prior to the year, after PSU I was feeling 8, after MSU 6-7, after OSU maybe 9, after Wisky 8, after Purdue 6.

Very odd year. Not in a overall good way.

I will say this is overall the most frustrating year i can recall, for multiple reasons. It's also the most down I've ever been on KF and the staff overall.

Last edited:
With Ohio State, Penn State on the schedule along with at Wisconsin, at Iowa State, at MSU, and at Nebraska I had this team with a 8-4 ceiling with a 6-6 floor. I guess all in all they met my expectations but I'm not happy with how we got there. If you would have told me before the season we were going to throttle Ohio State and Nebraska I would have thought we had won 9 or 10 games.

Good grief you could beat NE and MN with a two win season, those two are that BAD.

It's not about what "we" thought in August. It's what we saw in the weeks since then.
This times 1000. Who gives a pile of monkey crap what you thought you knew before this team even stepped on the field? Preseason expectations are irrelevant. The only thing that matters is what we see on the field. And that offense was horse crap for all but 3 games this season. How many people had picked NW this year as a contender in the West before they played a game? How'd that pick work out? Given our tight ends, great backs, above average qb and line, this team should have won a minimum of 8 games this season.

I had them at 7-5 going in to the season. If you would have asked if I'd take a season of 7-5 with wins in 3/4 trophy games and a win over the Buckeyes, I would have jumped at it.

The team was inconsistent. We had a 1st year coordinator, a 1st year QB, freshmen at both tackles, and a whole lot of inconsistent play in the secondary outside of Jackson. At times, these guys looked phenomenal, and I think there is a lot to look forward to. But other times, they let down the team.

The DL was also inconsistent, and is also pretty darn young. But Anthony Nelson had a quietly great year, and there is a ton of potential going forward.

The WRs were a weakness going in, and it was a weakness all year. Wisky and Purdue in particular exploited it well by stuffing the box and blanketing the TEs. Most B1G CBs still dominate our WR corps without help. Until we can avoid that, we will have poor offensive games.

This was a season where we had a few all-time great hawks (Jewell, Wadley, and it turned out, Jackson) surrounded by a cast of middling vets and young guys. This was also the toughest schedule we've had in years. This season I wanted to see our greats have great seasons, be competitive, go bowling, and show signs of the new guys having a chance to become something special in the future. For the most part, that's what we've gotten this season.

There've been a good amount of lows. And they felt lower than normal this year because you can tell there's a lot of talent on the team. But overall, there's been some really great highs this season. Jewell's play all year has been an absolute joy to watch. Jackson has been an amazing revelation. That comeback win against the Clones was pretty freaking awesome. How proud of the program were we with the effort the put up against Penn State? The Ohio State win was probably my favorite Hawkeye win in nearly a decade. Definitely the most dominating I've seen the Hawks against a blue blood in my lifetime. And they finished it up with a beatdown of Nebraska. They'll get a decent bowl this year, and if they win it, I think it's a really positive year for the Hawkeyes.

And the wave. This was the year the wave was born. The greatest thing in sports. 2017 was great. And it's a great day to be a Hawkeye.

With Ohio State, Penn State on the schedule along with at Wisconsin, at Iowa State, at MSU, and at Nebraska I had this team with a 8-4 ceiling with a 6-6 floor. I guess all in all they met my expectations but I'm not happy with how we got there. If you would have told me before the season we were going to throttle Ohio State and Nebraska I would have thought we had won 9 or 10 games.

Put much more succinctly than I, agreed.

Good grief you could beat NE and MN with a two win season, those two are that BAD.

Yeah, I only mentioned Minnesota because it is a rivalry game and you never know with those types of games, ditto for ISU. Nebraska was worse than I expected,. Remember, we're talking preseason.

This times 1000. Who gives a pile of monkey crap what you thought you knew before this team even stepped on the field? Preseason expectations are irrelevant. The only thing that matters is what we see on the field. And that offense was horse crap for all but 3 games this season. How many people had picked NW this year as a contender in the West before they played a game? How'd that pick work out? Given our tight ends, great backs, above average qb and line, this team should have won a minimum of 8 games this season.

I agree with all of this, except the above average oline part. That was the case prior to 2 injuries that proved to be massive. Now, it's on the staff that we didn't have more depth ready to fill in but thats another topic.

And we still should have won 8+ games.

Latest posts