UNC academic scandal...

JHHawk

is gathering steam. The evidence is mounting that student athletes at UNC that have degrees in African American Studies over the last 10 years basically have worthless degrees. At minimum there were 54 classes that were basically shams. Over 2/3rds of all enrollees in these classes were athletes. One class had only a single student...a bb player.

Time for the NCAA to get serious about their actual mission...policing academic fraud along with recruiting violations.
UNC should be firing Roy Williams and their new fb coach.
The NCAA should be banning them from postseason play for 2-3 seasons,minimum.
Marcus Paige has to wonder if he will ever play in the NCAA tourny now.

ol' Roy will smooth-talk his way out of this, guaranteed.

This works out perfectly for the NCAA. They've just set the precedent with Penn St that they no longer have to follow lengthy procedures. Just swoop in and drop the hammer. Time to find out how big Mark Emmert's balls really are.

Do I need to say it...

I would agree, fairly worthless degree to begin with.
However, with this gaining traction I tend to agree with the OP though. The men's bball team could possibly be in some hot water here. However, seeing how the NCAA works they will probably get a slap on the wrist. But the thought remains, if this turns out to be a big deal and UNC is slapped with postseason ban and probation in hoops, it would seem possible that Paige could have some interest in coming back to Iowa. Which would be pretty neat for the Hawks and is cetainly an interesting topic to discuss.

This works out perfectly for the NCAA. They've just set the precedent with Penn St that they no longer have to follow lengthy procedures. Just swoop in and drop the hammer. Time to find out how big Mark Emmert's balls really are.

Ewww. :(

That's between him, his wife, and his doctor to know.

I assume by "swoop in" you mean to wait over 8 months while an internal investigation is conducted by an independent party hired by the University.

And I also assume that by "drop the hammer" you mean that they wait until the University essentially pleads guilty to the charges leveled in that independent report before bringing sanctions.

If you meant those things, then yeah, I hope the NCAA does things that way going forward.

I assume by "swoop in" you mean to wait over 8 months while an internal investigation is conducted by an independent party hired by the University.

And I also assume that by "drop the hammer" you mean that they wait until the University essentially pleads guilty to the charges leveled in that independent report before bringing sanctions.

If you meant those things, then yeah, I hope the NCAA does things that way going forward.

Well it's pretty easy to get the school to plead guilty when you're hanging death penalty threats over their head. And with the John Blake scandal on top of this, the NCAA should have plenty of leverage, so yes they need to threaten UNC with the death penalty then drop the hammer.

is gathering steam. The evidence is mounting that student athletes at UNC that have degrees in African American Studies over the last 10 years basically have worthless degrees. At minimum there were 54 classes that were basically shams. Over 2/3rds of all enrollees in these classes were athletes. One class had only a single student...a bb player.

Time for the NCAA to get serious about their actual mission...policing academic fraud along with recruiting violations.
UNC should be firing Roy Williams and their new fb coach.
The NCAA should be banning them from postseason play for 2-3 seasons,minimum.
Marcus Paige has to wonder if he will ever play in the NCAA tourny now.

Not surprised. Pretty well known on campus for years, according to my UNC grad son (who did not play hoops). Drop the hammer if you have the huevos, NCAA.

url

No worries, Scorpio, the problem has been solved.....

7151817083_d7ae0d1d62.jpg

By the by, if you are in need of a Choice Used Car, Roy's your man.....

:D

The Penn State issue was a whole different matter. Hard to ignore pedophilia on your football staff. The UNC situation is more business as usual and I seriously doubt that the NCAA will smack the Tarheels around too badly. That would open up a gigantic can of worms and I don't think they want to wander down that path.

Paige is good, but so is Gesell. There is no doubt that Paige was more highly regarded, but that doesn't mean Gesell won't turn out better. Maybe the reason Gesell played the off guard is that he was more flexible than Paige or maybe Gesell was more of a team player than Paige. I doubt to many people will doubt that Gesell will be a quality point guard. If Gesell would of been exclusively the point guard, and Paige played both, Gesell might have been the more highly regarded of the two. Every year their are tons of football and basketball players that are considered sure bets that don't work out.

Latest posts