UI Release on McCaffery Suspension

I'm sure everyone who thinks Fran has anger issues just sits on their hands and smiles when someone they care about is getting treated unfairly, mauled, etc. and I'm talking about more than his son as he views all of these guys as his sons.

I think anger issues are prevalent daily on this board...

Fran is entertaining. I'll give him that. I still would take that passion over a Todd Lickliter any day.
Me too, it’s just that his shtick is getting tired. I’m not so mad about the tirade as I am about the tirade whining about refs when he got beat by 20

I guess I am missing what everybody is getting so tired about regarding Fran. I remember the UNI game, I remember the chair, I remember last night. I remember some technicals here and there. Over a 9 year stint at Iowa, I’m not going to lose too much sleep over it. I think too many people on this board overreact about Fran. Should he have done what he did last not, no. But it’s over, he is being punished. Move on!

There is no excuse for what Fran did...none. I will, however, say the B10 has a big problem with their officiating crews. They are terrible. If I'm an AD, well, at least from a school not named Michigan State, Michigan, Purdue, or Wisconsin...I'd ask for changes to the way they do things. Honestly...I think the conferences should share officiating crews and and mix them. Otherwise you get what happens in the B10 where Izzo has sucked so much ass with these guys, that he can whine and get call after close call. It's ridiculous. Same thing with Painter. The Grinch had the same influence.

I'm not saying we lost to Ohio State because of officiating, but man, we were getting no calls down low and they were getting three point plays in the paint constantly. They shot more free throws then us and that's our thing. Jabo was getting mauled half the time and when Weiskamp got hot...they roughed him up. That's part of basketball these days, but there are degrees to what you should be allowed to get away with.

Iowa didn't play well last night...Ohio State shot way beyond their means from three, and we made some bonehead plays...Baer's grab was the dumbest thing I've seen...you are up 6 and you give them a 6 point play...and all your momentum. Stupid. Ohio State deserved to win...but I still thought it was poorly officiated.

I guess I am missing what everybody is getting so tired about regarding Fran. I remember the UNI game, I remember the chair, I remember last night. I remember some technicals here and there. Over a 9 year stint at Iowa, I’m not going to lose too much sleep over it. I think too many people on this board overreact about Fran. Should he have done what he did last not, no. But it’s over, he is being punished. Move on!
Agree.

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa Director of Athletics Gary Barta announced on Wednesday a two-game suspension of head men’s basketball coach Fran McCaffery for unsportsmanlike comments directed at an official following Iowa’s loss at Ohio State Tuesday in Columbus, Ohio. The suspension includes Iowa’s next two games versus Rutgers (Saturday) and at Wisconsin (March 7).

The Big Ten Conference supports the University of Iowa’s suspension and announced that the institution will be fined $10,000 as a result of violating the Big Ten Sportsmanship Policy, in addition to issuing a public reprimand.

“Following the basketball game at Ohio State, Coach McCaffery made unacceptable comments to a game official in the hallway headed to the locker room,” said Barta. “Fran’s comments do not represent the values of the University of Iowa, Hawkeye Athletics, and our men’s basketball program.

“Fran immediately accepted responsibility for his comments and understands the severe implications of his remarks. Fran fully understands this suspension and penalty imposed by the Big Ten Conference. Fran continues to have my full support moving forward."

“I am in total agreement with the suspension by Iowa Athletics and the fine levied by the Big Ten Conference,” said McCaffery. “My comments directed toward a game official were regretful. I apologize to Big Ten Conference officials, Iowa Athletics, my players and staff, and the tremendous Hawkeye fans. This behavior is not acceptable and I take full responsibility for my inappropriate comments.”

Two games is not enough. Fran’s record includes bumping an official, having to be restrained going after an official, the chair incident and the numerous technicals he has received in nine years at Iowa.

Considering his body of work, the suspension should have been through the end of the season and the fine should be higher, levied directly on Fran.

This tirade far exceeds anything Fran has done in the past. Using MFer is bad although possibly excused in the heat of competition and Fran likely would have received a well-deserved T. But to go after an official and repeatedly call him a MFing “cheater” goes to the heart of sports officiating.

Even if you don’t like their calls or believe they are incompetent, I believe the vast majority of officials are decent, honest people. To accuse one of being on the take, or cheating, is highly offensive.

This game, and the Dolphin saga, have turned me against Fran.

Iowa deserves better.

I'm sure everyone who thinks Fran has anger issues just sits on their hands and smiles when someone they care about is getting treated unfairly, mauled, etc. and I'm talking about more than his son as he views all of these guys as his sons.
...oh brother. Mauled? If Aaron Craft were still playing....maybe I could give you that, but....c'mon.

First thing I noticed about Connor was the fact that he talks to the officials on the floor. That's a major no-no and usually a head coach's rule. Nothing good comes from it. Officials will take a lot of abuse from coaches, they will not tolerate much nonsense from players and nor should they. Connor should know better and Fran shouldn't allow Connor or anyone to engage officials over foul calls.

First thing I noticed about Connor was the fact that he talks to the officials on the floor. That's a major no-no and usually a head coach's rule. Nothing good comes from it. Officials will take a lot of abuse from coaches, they will not tolerate much nonsense from players and nor should they. Connor should know better and Fran shouldn't allow Connor or anyone to engage officials over foul calls.

Watch some games, Lightning. Kids talk to the officials all the time. They ask what they did wrong, they let them know they disagree with a call, they ask them to watch for certain things, they joke around and pat each other on the back. I think for the most part the kids and the officials get along pretty well. And, no, I am not talking about Iowa only.

Watch some games, Lightning. Kids talk to the officials all the time. They ask what they did wrong, they let them know they disagree with a call, they ask them to watch for certain things, they joke around and pat each other on the back. I think for the most part the kids and the officials get along pretty well. And, no, I am not talking about Iowa only.
I think Lightning meant "argue with officials." Connor pushes that line more than most players.

This. If a kid genuinely wants to know what they did wrong, if they can talk politely, maybe joke lightly, show sportsmanship and particularly show respect, they’ll get respect in return.

OTOH, act up, be a prima donna, act like a jerk, don’t be surprised when you pay the consequences.

Last edited:
Exhibit A for why you shouldn't let your players engage officials over foul calls.

I give zero fucks about this incident. Iowa is all over the news and Iowa is getting more recognition than if they had won the game.

This. If a kid genuinely wants to know what they did wrong, if they can talk politely, maybe joke lightly, show sportsmanship and particularly show respect, they’ll get respect in return.

OTOH, act up, be a prima donna, act like a jerk, don’t be surprised when you pay the consequences.
The pitfall is when the player is tired, frustrated and basically pissed off at the way the game is going and the lack of calls in his favor. Then the polite, joking respectful player gets a Technical. It's just a bad practice.

I think Lightning meant "argue with officials." Connor pushes that line more than most players.
I don't want players talking to them at all. It doesn't take many missed calls to go from a polite discussion to a frustrated incident. It's bad practice. That's what the coach is for. Fran is not shy arguing calls for his players.

He will be at the senior announcement and in the arena on Saturday in support of Baer, that also was discussed in the press conference.
This is what I was hoping for. Like Fran or not, Baer is a player that may not have gotten a chance at a lot of places and has done wonderful things at Iowa and Fran certainly had lots to do with it. I've got to think there's a special relationship between the two and I'm glad Fran will be allowed to be there to help honor Nicholas.

Latest posts