UI Release on McCaffery Suspension

RobHowe

Administrator
IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa Director of Athletics Gary Barta announced on Wednesday a two-game suspension of head men’s basketball coach Fran McCaffery for unsportsmanlike comments directed at an official following Iowa’s loss at Ohio State Tuesday in Columbus, Ohio. The suspension includes Iowa’s next two games versus Rutgers (Saturday) and at Wisconsin (March 7).

The Big Ten Conference supports the University of Iowa’s suspension and announced that the institution will be fined $10,000 as a result of violating the Big Ten Sportsmanship Policy, in addition to issuing a public reprimand.

“Following the basketball game at Ohio State, Coach McCaffery made unacceptable comments to a game official in the hallway headed to the locker room,” said Barta. “Fran’s comments do not represent the values of the University of Iowa, Hawkeye Athletics, and our men’s basketball program.

“Fran immediately accepted responsibility for his comments and understands the severe implications of his remarks. Fran fully understands this suspension and penalty imposed by the Big Ten Conference. Fran continues to have my full support moving forward."

“I am in total agreement with the suspension by Iowa Athletics and the fine levied by the Big Ten Conference,” said McCaffery. “My comments directed toward a game official were regretful. I apologize to Big Ten Conference officials, Iowa Athletics, my players and staff, and the tremendous Hawkeye fans. This behavior is not acceptable and I take full responsibility for my inappropriate comments.”

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- University of Iowa Director of Athletics Gary Barta announced on Wednesday a two-game suspension of head men’s basketball coach Fran McCaffery for unsportsmanlike comments directed at an official following Iowa’s loss at Ohio State Tuesday in Columbus, Ohio. The suspension includes Iowa’s next two games versus Rutgers (Saturday) and at Wisconsin (March 7).

The Big Ten Conference supports the University of Iowa’s suspension and announced that the institution will be fined $10,000 as a result of violating the Big Ten Sportsmanship Policy, in addition to issuing a public reprimand.

“Following the basketball game at Ohio State, Coach McCaffery made unacceptable comments to a game official in the hallway headed to the locker room,” said Barta. “Fran’s comments do not represent the values of the University of Iowa, Hawkeye Athletics, and our men’s basketball program.

“Fran immediately accepted responsibility for his comments and understands the severe implications of his remarks. Fran fully understands this suspension and penalty imposed by the Big Ten Conference. Fran continues to have my full support moving forward."

“I am in total agreement with the suspension by Iowa Athletics and the fine levied by the Big Ten Conference,” said McCaffery. “My comments directed toward a game official were regretful. I apologize to Big Ten Conference officials, Iowa Athletics, my players and staff, and the tremendous Hawkeye fans. This behavior is not acceptable and I take full responsibility for my inappropriate comments.”
Probably an appropriate suspension I assume he forfeits pay for that period? One additional condition University should apply Anger Management Therapy

One additional condition University should apply Anger Management Therapy
Anger management is like addiction treatment.

It only works if you want it to work. Sentencing people to it is worthless as tits on a boar.

A broken leg won’t heal if you keep voluntarily cutting the cast off. No different.

Does that mean that like the epa punishment keeps doubling.

Does that mean Patrick doesn't get his allowance this month?

Anger management is like addiction treatment.

It only works if you want it to work. Sentencing people to it is worthless as tits on a boar.

A broken leg won’t heal if you keep voluntarily cutting the cast off. No different.

Fran has an adrenaline addiction.

Has to control that temper. I’m a totally different person in a competitive situation but I know how to show adequate restraint. I did get real close to crossing the line when it was my players being wronged. But there’s a time and a place.

I assume he won't be able to even be in the building Saturday. Maybe his office but that's a long way from the floor.

And it's certainly unfortunate that he will miss senior day.

You don't get that one back. That would be the equivalent of the father of the bride missing the wedding because he got thrown in the clink night before and nobody could bail him out in time.

He knew a penalty was coming. I made the observation last night that you could see it within the first fifteen seconds of the press conference. He knew he screwed up, probably knew he screwed Baer's day up as well.

I assume he won't be able to even be in the building Saturday. Maybe his office but that's a long way from the floor.

And it's certainly unfortunate that he will miss senior day.

You don't get that one back. That would be the equivalent of the father of the bride missing the wedding because he got thrown in the clink night before and nobody could bail him out in time.

He knew a penalty was coming. I made the observation last night that you could see it within the first fifteen seconds of the press conference. He knew he screwed up, probably knew he screwed Baer's day up as well.

He will be at the senior announcement and in the arena on Saturday in support of Baer, that also was discussed in the press conference.

No he’s definitely got anger control issues. But he likes being that way.

I'm sure everyone who thinks Fran has anger issues just sits on their hands and smiles when someone they care about is getting treated unfairly, mauled, etc. and I'm talking about more than his son as he views all of these guys as his sons.

I'm sure everyone who thinks Fran has anger issues just sits on their hands and smiles when someone they care about is getting treated unfairly, mauled, etc. and I'm talking about more than his son as he views all of these guys as his sons.
Lol. Because his kid was in physical danger of being killed or something? Because that’s the way you’re making it out.

“Mauled?” Good lord...

Nobody was going home in a body bag or even with a black eye, Nancy.

He can’t control his temper when he gets pissed off, it’s that simple. You’re trying to act like an axe murderer chased down the entire team and killed them.

Hence why I said being treated unfairly as the #1 option there sparky. He did get elbowed to the face though so yes thank you for saying physical danger.

Hence why I said being treated unfairly as the #1 option there sparky. He did get elbowed to the face though so yes thank you for saying physical danger.
Players get fouled hard and teams get fucked by refs DAILY in the college basketball season.

Every day.

Coaches don’t follow refs through tunnels and lose their goddamn minds screaming like a little kid. Again, you’re acting like this is some unique thing that happened once in history and warrants a gigantic temper tantrum. It’s not

It’s a bad look for the school and hypocritical of Barta to give him two games and keep Dolph locked out.

I don't have a problem with a profanity laced tirade. Hell Holtman got a T for pretty much the same thing. Passions run hot in the cut throat business of college basketball coaching. Where almost every day someone is either earning a new job or digging 1 shovel blade closer to the grave.

It's bad sportsmanship and I also don't have a problem with coaches suffering consequences from such behavior no matter how understandable.

Personally I'm just leaning towards not liking Fran in general because of the logical assumption that the man is petty and venomous. Willing to deploy a scorched earth strategy even to settle trivial scores.

All I know is Fran had better keep winning over the next few years, because there is no way he will have a united fan base of support. If Iowa basketball fails to maintain this level of play for the next season or 2 things could really start to get ugly.

Players get fouled hard and teams get fucked by refs DAILY in the college basketball season.

Every day.

Coaches don’t follow refs through tunnels and lose their goddamn minds screaming like a little kid. Again, you’re acting like this is some unique thing that happened once in history and warrants a gigantic temper tantrum. It’s not

It’s a bad look for the school and hypocritical of Barta to give him two games and keep Dolph locked out.

I don't think I ever defended him saying what he did in the tunnel last night, I just said saying he needs anger management is comical.

Also, not hypocritical being as Dolph comments were "racist" comparing a black man to a monkey. I don't agree in it being racist, but being racist is definitely more offensive than calling someone a cheater.

I don't think I ever defended him saying what he did in the tunnel last night, I just said saying he needs anger management is comical.

Also, not hypocritical being as Dolph comments were "racist" comparing a black man to a monkey. I don't agree in it being racist, but being racist is definitely more offensive than calling someone a cheater.

I'll say its hypocritical gor Fran to sit there and talk about his 'intent' like it justifies what he did when Dolph wasnt given the same grace.
Barta and Fran are like two good ol buddies, Dolph is just the odd man out. I'm honestly curious if they reinstate him if Fran doeant pull this stunt last night.

Ya gotta believe the guys at the Big 10 network had a pool for this, wonder if Settles or Chuck Long won any money,. When someone bottles it up for as long as Fran has this season you just knew it was gonna come out volcano style.

Latest posts