Uhl moving to the 2

I think that this is a good option to have. He has shown that he can shoot the 3 point shot well. I know when Iowa beat #1 MSU he hit several. Plus they could post him up against a 6'2" guard and that would be a big mismatch in Iowa's favor. Dailey could focus more at the point guard position. I like this move.

So a guy that hasn't seen the court much this year despite the fact that we go deeper into our bench than any other program I can think of suddenly became the answer to our problems playing out of his normal position. I'd love to admit when I'm wrong if this plays out but at this point it seems like nothing more than grasping.

Dailey has made 20 3s and played in 21 games... Basically 1 make a game. Hardly impactful in 16 mins or so of PT/game. He's averaging less than 2 assists/game and shooting 58% from free throw line... Sure he's the closest thing to an athletic player we have but that's just not saying much factored in with actual production. He'll still get 15-20 mins a game putting Uhl in because I say subtract Mosses time. He's just too much of a yo-yo. The only thing he's consistant at is not playing D either
Dailey is shooting 32% from the field in B10 play and is 2 of 10 from the line. He has one steal in 8 games. I know folks overreacted when he had a few nice games in that 5 game cupcake winning streak before conference play re-started, but another 6 games in now against the big boys shows that wasn't something he can do consistently at this point against better competition. He's getting the minutes he's earning right now. If he can ratchet it up now in conference, those minutes should start increasing and next year he'll be ready from the get go. But he has to show he can do something other than only make threes and not play defense, we have a guy that does that already.
I understand Dailey isn’t setting the world on fire but to me it’s about playing for the future. By the way nobody on our team is really doing anything in conference that you would sit there and say wow that kid deserves minutes. Look at Baer this year, kid is a shell of his former self.

In my opinion Fran is to blame for a lot of that. When you only play between 10-15 minutes on a given night it’s very hard to get in a rhythm as a player (see Moss last year and entire bench this year). That’s why it’s a coaches job to identify who the best players are and play them 25-30 minutes a night. There will be nights where they don’t produce but over the long run it will help a player.

Because playing a senior who's not good out of position in a lost season is really dumb.
So why don’t you give your viewpoint in the origin post instead of having to push off of somebody else all the time?

I doubt that's true but it's not impossible. I'm not a huge Dailey fan. I'd rather see Weiskamp start next yr and see what he's got. I think he leapfrogs Dailey day one and hopefully Moss
It might not be true. But I know for a verifiable fact that giving Uhl the minutes won't help us next year. when facing a 90% chance of no help and a 100% chance of no help - seems like an easy choice.

It might not be true. But I know for a verifiable fact that giving Uhl the minutes won't help us next year. when facing a 90% chance of no help and a 100% chance of no help - seems like an easy choice.
True. I just think that like in Uhls case. We knew last yr he wasn't goin to be any good this year. Or Wagner. I think Dailey will be leapfrogged by Weiskamp and I doubt Dailey goes ahead of Moss as frustrating as that is. I don't think playing Dailey 3-10 more mins a game will make any impact really on his game. I think we've seen who he is. But I could be wrong. Some players make leaps you don't see coming.

True. I just think that like in Uhls case. We knew last yr he wasn't goin to be any good this year. Or Wagner. I think Dailey will be leapfrogged by Weiskamp and I doubt Dailey goes ahead of Moss as frustrating as that is. I don't think playing Dailey 3-10 more mins a game will make any impact really on his game. I think we've seen who he is. But I could be wrong. Some players make leaps you don't see coming.
Jok stats through sophomore year:

931 minutes/ 5.86 PPG / 37% FG / 34% 3s

Marble through sophomore year:

1,594 mins / 8.78 PPG / 41% FG / 34% 3s

Dailey to date:

434 mins / 4.2 PPG / 45.5% FG / 40.7% 3s

Now I’m not saying he’s going to turn out to be near as good as either of those guys but this kind of paints the picture as to why it doesn’t make sense to give up on him just yet. His stats per minute line up right in line with both this guys through two years, and he hasn’t even eclipsed 500 minutes played. Marble obviously the best passer of the bunch and Jok clearly ended as the best shooter.

If Uhl is aggressive and looks to score, fine, why not I guess. He is a solid defender and has some quick for his size. The kid just needs to be aggressive.

If he immediately looks to pass and not even look to shoot or score... or does the "pump fake, shuffle feet, travel" move repeatedly, grrr.

I'd rather see him at the 3, Dailey at point, Jbo at 2, and Cook and Garza at the 4-5. Baer off the bench, and NO more than a 9 man rotation.

There are a couple players who need to re-earn their minutes.

Jok stats through sophomore year:

931 minutes/ 5.86 PPG / 37% FG / 34% 3s

Marble through sophomore year:

1,594 mins / 8.78 PPG / 41% FG / 34% 3s

Dailey to date:

434 mins / 4.2 PPG / 45.5% FG / 40.7% 3s

Now I’m not saying he’s going to turn out to be near as good as either of those guys but this kind of paints the picture as to why it doesn’t make sense to give up on him just yet. His stats per minute line up right in line with both this guys through two years, and he hasn’t even eclipsed 500 minutes played. Marble obviously the best passer of the bunch and Jok clearly ended as the best shooter.
True. I just think of Dailey as more of a player like Kelly a few years ago. Long skinny tweener that transferred out. (granted lots of unrelated factors involved to basketball) Marble began to fill out and get a little bigger which helped him a ton. Has Dailey gained an ounce of muscle in almost 2 yrs on campus? Again the kid might prove me wrong and go on to be a mixture of both Jok and Marble who knows. So far I'm not sure I see it is all.

Batman just weighed in on Fran's latest experiment here:
tumblr_omm1aju4LW1r5xzspo1_500.gif

If Uhl is aggressive and looks to score, fine, why not I guess. He is a solid defender and has some quick for his size. The kid just needs to be aggressive.

If he immediately looks to pass and not even look to shoot or score... or does the "pump fake, shuffle feet, travel" move repeatedly, grrr.

I'd rather see him at the 3, Dailey at point, Jbo at 2, and Cook and Garza at the 4-5. Baer off the bench, and NO more than a 9 man rotation.

There are a couple players who need to re-earn their minutes.

Like him better at the 3 also.....

Dailey at the point and Jbo at the 2, Cook and Garza at the 4/5

Maybe the best of all possible lineups at the stage of the season, HW

:cool:

True. I just think of Dailey as more of a player like Kelly a few years ago. Long skinny tweener that transferred out. (granted lots of unrelated factors involved to basketball) Marble began to fill out and get a little bigger which helped him a ton. Has Dailey gained an ounce of muscle in almost 2 yrs on campus? Again the kid might prove me wrong and go on to be a mixture of both Jok and Marble who knows. So far I'm not sure I see it is all.

What? I hope Dailey gets as good as Jake Kelly. Jake Kelly transferring doomed McCaffery's first season. Kid was the best player on the team by far.

Latest posts