Tyler Ulis

I would love to have Ulis, but that ship has sailed, I hope he does well because that means Fran was recruiting a good player. Never want to see them fail. I hope Dickerson does even better for Iowa.

My question is, what if not all the guys KY expects to go pro do it. What if some stay. Are they over their limit on schollies? One of these days this will bite Cal in the butt, hopefully sooner than later.

I would love to have Ulis, but that ship has sailed, I hope he does well because that means Fran was recruiting a good player. Never want to see them fail. I hope Dickerson does even better for Iowa.

My question is, what if not all the guys KY expects to go pro do it. What if some stay. Are they over their limit on schollies? One of these days this will bite Cal in the butt, hopefully sooner than later.

i'm guessing a lot of these guy have a 1 year eligibility limit anyway. or, he'll have an 'end of season meeting' with ones that haven't made the grade, so to speak.

Like I said, Ulis is an excellent passer with great handles, vision, etc. But he will big-time struggle guarding in the post (D-1 coaches/players know how to exploit size mismatches), .

Gaurd Size mismatches are allot harder to explpiot in college unless your 4/5 men can drag their defenders away from the paint.

Otherwise you have a big defender where youre trying to post up.

He will struggle to defend big gaurds on the drive though.

Last edited:
Gaurd Size mismatches are allot harder to explpiot in college unless your 4/5 men can drag their defenders away from the paint.

Otherwise you have a big defender where youre trying to post up.

He will struggle to defend big gaurds on the drive though.

I would rather have Dickerson for a lot of reasons, but the main one is he is a quality point guard that wants to be at Iowa. Ulis has a lot of good attributes, but he is to small. I don't know if Dickerson has NBA potential, but I'm pretty confident Ulis never will be in the NBA. It will be interesting if he will be able to survive his freshman year at Kentucky.

Dickerson is a nice player...but he's no Ulis...get real people...he was a two star PG coming out of HS...and Ulis was a Mickey D's AA...

Some people are drinking a bit too much kool aid.
I have no idea who will turn out to be the better player, but how does the number of stars you have coming out of high school prove it? How many stars did Dougy Fresh have coming out of HS?

I would rather have Dickerson for a lot of reasons, but the main one is he is a quality point guard that wants to be at Iowa. Ulis has a lot of good attributes, but he is to small. I don't know if Dickerson has NBA potential, but I'm pretty confident Ulis never will be in the NBA. It will be interesting if he will be able to survive his freshman year at Kentucky.

He will not only survive, but he will thrive. That team needed a floor general this year. Ulis is the absolute epitome of a floor general. Similar to Napier of UConn, who struggled a bit his first two years at UConn, Ulis controls pace very well with the dribble, and spreads the floor being a great shooter. He is the most clever guard I have seen at the HS level. He will be a good one at UK.

I can see Ulis being an effective offensive player, but at his size, how does he defend players that are taller,bigger and stronger.. They can just shoot over him.

I can see Ulis being an effective offensive player, but at his size, how does he defend players that are taller,bigger and stronger.. They can just shoot over him.
Agreed. Ulis' quickness can make him pesky defensively but it can't make him taller. But more of a concern is his durability. I thought this especially when he was considering MSU, but KY really likes to challenge the paint. How many knock downs will he survive going amongst the trees?

I don't care if Dickerson is better than Ulis. I just want a tough player with the will to win and drag his teammates along with him in that goal.

I take them both in a heartbeat.

When Ulis goes against college sophomores, juniors, and seniors he will probably have trouble offensively and defensively because of his size. He is pretty quick and a really good shooter, but college is a lot different than high school. I always thought Trice was a little on the small side at Michigan State and Ulis is a lot smaller than Trice. Trice had injury problems. Ulis is a good passer, but the passing angles are going to be different going against a good college defense. He will get a chance to prove his skeptics wrong.

It's a done deal that even if Calipari leaves and then if Ulis desides to transfer that Iowa wouldn't have an offer on the table for him. Only way it's remotely a possibility is if Sapp were to jump ship and I haven't heard anything more then chat room junkies like us toss out the question if he might be or not. I hope Sapp doesn't I think he had a tough sophomore year but loves the family environment coach Fran has going and he'll tough it out and get better. Plus he knows that with how Gesell played at the end of the year that he can do better then that easy enough to earn more PT. That remains to be seen I think but the whole Ulis thing is about as done of a deal as it could be. I hope Atwood comes and I look forward to next year.

It's a done deal that even if Calipari leaves and then if Ulis desides to transfer that Iowa wouldn't have an offer on the table for him. Only way it's remotely a possibility is if Sapp were to jump ship and I haven't heard anything more then chat room junkies like us toss out the question if he might be or not. I hope Sapp doesn't I think he had a tough sophomore year but loves the family environment coach Fran has going and he'll tough it out and get better. Plus he knows that with how Gesell played at the end of the year that he can do better then that easy enough to earn more PT. That remains to be seen I think but the whole Ulis thing is about as done of a deal as it could be. I hope Atwood comes and I look forward to next year.

I don't know if it is that simple. with Meyer leaving there are two scholarships open so you take the best players you can get at this point and Ulis would be one of them if he wants to come, but I don't think that will be an issue.

I don't know if it is that simple. with Meyer leaving there are two scholarships open so you take the best players you can get at this point and Ulis would be one of them if he wants to come, but I don't think that will be an issue.
Your right about the extra scholarship with Meyer leaving but I don't think having 4 pgs is all that practical. Without Marble or a player similar to him that can handle the ball I don't see Gesell Sapp or Dickerson playing big mins at shooting guard and even if they wanted to play small ball would Ulis want to come then? I guess I'm not 100 percent certain never say never it's done but I'm 99 percent sure even if all those ifs previously stated happen I don't see him coming to Iowa.

Ulis is going to Kentucky. If, for some reason, he asked out of his LOI and wanted to come to Iowa (it's not going to happen) Fran would take him. He'd be worth running off any combination of the three PGs that will be on the roster.

I don't think Ulis is leaving Kentucky but if he did he would have to sit a year...14-15 season. If I were a family member giving him advice I would tell him to go to Kentucky. He may love it. If he's unhappy then he transfers after this freshman season and sits the 15-16 season when Gesell and Clemmons are ending their careers. He then shares time with Dickerson for 1 year and starts the next 2.

I can't see any scenario where he leaves Kentucky now when he has to sit. Play 1 year and then decide if he made the wrong (knee jerk) decision.

Fran wouldn't take Ulis. He is committed to Dickerson. Dickerson is going to be pretty good at Iowa next year.

Latest posts