Tyler Sash Has Died

Terrible news. Sash was one of those home grown Hawks who were just proud to wear the black and gold. He had so many great moments in that uniform. RIP Tyler and prayers to the family.

So many great memories... rest easy, Tyler. And many prayers for your family, and all who knew you.

Really sad event. It's nice that BTN just took a moment to mention this and take a moment. Wish they had done a bit more, but I guess I'm biased.

I lived in Osky for 7 years, actually took a class with Sash's brother at Willliam Penn. Sash was the talk of the town which is saying something for a 3A school. I am pretty sure he took a kickoff the distance as a freshman--first touch ( that could be Folk talk). However, the kid was a beast from a young age. I actually lived in a house that overlooked the stadium, loved our houses vantage points for games. Steve Staggs was a year younger and also ,played for Iowa--those 2 were an obvious head above. I would have never guessed Sash would make it all the way to the NFL. It was a great thing to see a small town Iowa his dreams. My heart goes out to his family, I hope to public's need for an explanation does not taint the celebration of his life. Tyler Sash was a hawkeye great.

Death is the opening of a more subtle life. In the flower, it sets free the perfume; in the chrysalis, the butterfly; in man, the soul." Juliette Adam

Does anyone have a video clip they can post of sash catching that carom against Indiana in '09 he grabbed and took to the house? I'll never forget that play. My all time favorite!

I'll always remember Tyler Sash for his plays on the football field, but I'll most remember him for his kindness and humanity.

In October of 2010, I traveled to Michigan with 3 of my friends to watch the Hawks take on the Wolverines at the Big House! It was a rare Iowa victory that day.

We waited around after the game to greet and thank the players. Most of them were anxious to get on the bus and didn't acknowledge the fans much. It was late in the evening, and they still had to travel back to Iowa so we understood. A few of them would stop and say hello, but fewer still would stop for pictures.

Tyler Sash was not one of those people. We yelled for him to come over, and he gladly granted our request. He shook everyone's hand, asked us where we were from and allowed us to take several photos. As he was walking toward the bus, he thanked us for coming and supporting the team, and gave us a final "Go Hawks!".

He was a true gentleman, a great Iowan, and a legendary Hawkeye.

Here is the photo from that day. RIP Tyler Sash.

attachment.php

Attachments

• TW and Tyler Sash 2010 Michigan.jpg
    TW and Tyler Sash 2010 Michigan.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 159
Does anyone have a video clip they can post of sash catching that carom against Indiana in '09 he grabbed and took to the house? I'll never forget that play. My all time favorite!

here you go - that was a great play!

[video=youtube;pGyjHOwI7JE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGyjHOwI7JE[/video]

Out of respect for Tyler's family, please leave theories as to what happened out of discussions until we know for certain.

100% Right on, Jon. Regardless of how Tyler left this world, I hope he can be remembered for not just being a heck of a football player but of a person who showcased qualities of a great human being. He was a passionate Hawkeye and will be forever missed.

Hoping to see #9 patches on the jerseys this weekend.

So unbelievably sad. He seemed like a truly kind and decent young man who brought joy to countless thousands, even after his playing days were done.

The world lost a wonderful human being who happened to be a pretty damn good football player too.

Thank you for the memories, Tyler.

Latest posts