Tyler Sash Combine

Obvioulsy the bench press has no direct correaltion of being able to take someone's head off. Watch the tapes... nobody head hunts like Sash. Dude laid people out every time. Down right nasty.

Please link those tapes.

Ya Sash head hunts, but he also is a crappy tackler, he missed alot. Rarely did he ever wrap a guy up and tackle him.

Please link those tapes.

Ya Sash head hunts, but he also is a crappy tackler, he missed alot. Rarely did he ever wrap a guy up and tackle him.

His tackling tailed off this year, which might have also had something to do with his previous shoulder injuries. He was a pretty solid tackler his first two seasons. And it's his ball-hawking that he's known for. He's got terrific instincts, and good ball skills. That counts for quite a bit as a safety.

His tackling tailed off this year, which might have also had something to do with his previous shoulder injuries. He was a pretty solid tackler his first two seasons. And it's his ball-hawking that he's known for. He's got terrific instincts, and good ball skills. That counts for quite a bit as a safety.

I agree with this assessment. Especially the bolded. He did not wrap up well this year.

Without question it did. IMO he should have returned.

he put up some numbers that really surprised me at the combine. more quick and agile than i've given him credit for. he'll be a great special team guy to start and will get a good shot at a 3rd safety and in some dime packages.

Sash's official 40 was 4.62. However, that was good for 4th best among safeties, and the fastest time was posted by Boise State's Jeron Johnson at 4.53. Indy's new turf is also a bit of a slow track (IIRC), so Sash could run better on his pro day.

Sash also did well in the vertical (33 inches, good for 5th best, and just 2.5 inches behind Ahmad Black of Florida), 3-cone drill (3rd best time at 6.9, just .05 behind Black).

Also, Rahim Moore of UCLA also only posted 11 reps on the bench, and ran a 4.62, and he is considered one of the top safeties in this class.

Did Black run today? Or is he waiting for his pro day? He's probably the #1.

All in all, I'd say Sash had a pretty solid day.

He won't get drafted.

Based on what, exactly? He's pretty consistently gotten a mid-round label, he performed well overall at the combine (at least in his lifts/agility/speed drills, I don't know how he did in positional drills), and this year's safety class is VERY weak. He's going to get drafted.

Anyone see Tyler crash into that cameraman during that one drill? He was running full out to make an interception but the pass led him off the field and right into a camera-man for NFLNetwork. Classic camera shot of him getting larger in the picture til it went black. Tyler got up and sprinted back the other way,and he got some praise for his hustle....kind of funny.

Please link those tapes.

I agree. A safety won't make it long in the league taking heads off. You have to be able to wrap up. This isn't even a close comparison, but look at Bob Sanders. The guy made a name for himself laying people out. After a couple of years of doing that he's currently jobless. I hope the best for both of these guys, but Sash won't be able to make a living doing it this way. Polamalu is the same way. Hits like a truck but gets hurt a lot.

For whatever reason he took bad angles last year and he went exclusively to that chop down technique to tackle. A lot of NFL guys use that technique I even seen Iowa DB(s) use it on occasion, Spievey was really good at it, like I stated earlier Sash went exclusively to that and whiffed a lot.

Your assessment of Sash is spot on.....if his shoulders can pass a physical and/or scrutiny he will get drafted and make a roster.

I dont think that is a surprise. Tyler's film was going to be what got him drafted. I didn't expect for him to wow anyone with his 40 time.

BTW his 225 reps calculate into a max BP of around 325 which is plenty strong for a safety.

I don't usually chime in on strictly Hawkeye stuff but I will here. Sash is what he is and was only going to be helped by a great combine. He won't be hurt by anything he does there. He isn't that sort of prospect. They will look at his tape and see what he can do in terms of things outside of measurables and will be drafted by someone. He's just a really good football player even if he doesn't test off the charts. David Sims, on the other hand, needed to impress at the combine because he hasn't done the things Sash has done in his career.

I don't usually chime in on strictly Hawkeye stuff but I will here. Sash is what he is and was only going to be helped by a great combine. He won't be hurt by anything he does there. He isn't that sort of prospect. They will look at his tape and see what he can do in terms of things outside of measurables and will be drafted by someone. He's just a really good football player even if he doesn't test off the charts. David Sims, on the other hand, needed to impress at the combine because he hasn't done the things Sash has done in his career.

Did he?

Latest posts