Tyler Cook

After Indiana closed to three I think, he hit that turn around 10 footer that was huge, with about 3 minutes and change left. It was then that I realized he really does have a shot at being in the Association at some point. He couldn't hit that shot last year.

After Indiana closed to three I think, he hit that turn around 10 footer that was huge, with about 3 minutes and change left. It was then that I realized he really does have a shot at being in the Association at some point. He couldn't hit that shot last year.

Agree that was a huge shot, but his shooting still does not inspire a lot of confidence in me. He's strong around the basket, but not so much IMO when he's 10+ feet out. He made that particular shot at a critical time in the game.

None of that should be taken as "hate".. I just think he still needs to practice lots and lots of jump shots.

If the Hawks keep up this level of play, I'd tolerate the 3 or 4 turnovers per game in exchange for a load of rebounds, 17 ppg, and some great dunks.

I still hate it when he forces his shot, I might be wrong but I still do not see an NBA player in Cook.

But at least he only had 2 turnovers last night.

Somewhere I saw a video of Cook working out this past summer and he was drilling mid range jumpers left and right. I thought maybe he had added that part to his game but it seems like he's hit only one or just a couple at the max all year. Perhaps it was just a highlight video or it just hasn't translated to game speed. I currently cringe as well. It seems most of his attempts end up being complete bricks.

I still think he has a shot at playing in the league at some point with or without the jumper. He has the body and athleticism to hang but would need some luck in finding the right fit as a bench player.

If TC could make his mid-range and beyond jumper consistently, handle the ball better and not turn it over, he wouldn't be at Iowa right now. He's flawed in some areas. Every player on this team and most in college have flaws.

That said, this team is far better with TC than without him. It's really not even debatable, IMO.

Indiana couldn't handle him last night. And when it doubled him, he kicked it out and his teammates received open looks.

If TC could make his mid-range and beyond jumper consistently, handle the ball better and not turn it over, he wouldn't be at Iowa right now. He's flawed in some areas. Every player on this team and most in college have flaws.

That said, this team is far better with TC than without him. It's really not even debatable, IMO.

Indiana couldn't handle him last night. And when it doubled him, he kicked it out and his teammates received open looks.
It was a great, clutch shot. Glad he made it. Big turning point. Perhaps it will give him confidence.

That said, he needs to shoot less, and if so, will be even more valuable to the team. Be a blue chip garbage player, they are invaluable.

It was a great, clutch shot. Glad he made it. Big turning point. Perhaps it will give him confidence.

That said, he needs to shoot less, and if so, will be even more valuable to the team. Be a blue chip garbage player, they are invaluable.

I don't think he needs to shoot less. He shoots 56.1 percent from the floor, which is the best on the team and ninth in the Big Ten.

I don't think he needs to shoot less. He shoots 56.1 percent from the floor, which is the best on the team and ninth in the Big Ten.
He forces too many shots IMHO, leading to being a leader in conference turnovers. He would shoot an even higher % if he let the game come to him a bit more. His clutch jump shot was amazingly good! Happy for him.

He needs to never again shoot a face up jump shot. Maybe that’s what is meant. His horrible jump shooting cost Iowa vs WI. He missed one badly again last night at a critical time in the game. Turn around jumpshot, go for it. Love it if he got more opportunities close to the bucket bc he is a force and had an awesome game last night.

He forces too many shots IMHO, leading to being a leader in conference turnovers. He would shoot an even higher % if he let the game come to him a bit more. His clutch jump shot was amazingly good! Happy for him.

Keep in mind that was probably the lowest percentage shot for him that he took all night but it went in. :)

Happens when defenders are draped sll over you and the others cant get open. Its hard to pass when 2 are on you. Some of you are unbelievable in your TC attitudes.

He's seventh in the Big Ten in scoring, he's fifth in rebounding and ninth in field goal percentage on the team that is 18-5. He played 37 minutes last night.

Fran said after the game, that the offense runs through Tyler. Why? Because he's the toughest guy on the team to guard. He's at the top of every opponent's scouting report. The goal is to stop Cook.

He turns the ball over sometimes because he tries to do too much. Sometimes that's because his teammates look to him to take over.

He averages 3.1 turnovers a game.

Lamar Stevens Penn State - 2.7 turnovers a game

Bruno Fernando - 2.7

Ethan Happ - 2.7

Nick Ward, MSU - 2.3

Kaleb Wesson - 2.2

James Palmer 2.3

Keep in mind that was probably the lowest percentage shot for him that he took all night but it went in. :)
My guess would be that he makes a lot of those types of jump shots during practice, but not so much during games. Sometimes making a big shot like that can change a person's confidence, astronomically.

He's seventh in the Big Ten in scoring, he's fifth in rebounding and ninth in field goal percentage on the team that is 18-5. He played 37 minutes last night.

Fran said after the game, that the offense runs through Tyler. Why? Because he's the toughest guy on the team to guard. He's at the top of every opponent's scouting report. The goal is to stop Cook.

He turns the ball over sometimes because he tries to do too much. Sometimes that's because his teammates look to him to take over.

He averages 3.1 turnovers a game.

Bruno Fernando - 2.7

Ethan Happ - 2.7

Nick Ward, MSU - 2.3

Kaleb Wesson - 2.2

James Palmer 2.3
Yes, sometimes he tries to do too much. Agree. Sometimes the other players stand around too much, waiting for him to do something because they know the "play goes through him." It is a common by-product of running through a guy.

You don't have to convince me of his talent, I agree, a generational talent for Iowa, but not a great BB player, yet. It is just that too much of of him is counterproductive, at times.

Happens when defenders are draped sll over you and the others cant get open. Its hard to pass when 2 are on you. Some of you are unbelievable in your TC attitudes.
I am not sure what attitude you are talking about. Cook is athletically talented, but isn't yet a fundamentally sound BB player with technique, shooting skills, thinking. Every player has limitations. Cook has more upside waiting to be put to use.

With a perfect fit for a coach, he has a lot of upside, a lot.

But, I don't want him to get too good, yet, needs another year at Iowa :)

I am not sure what attitude you are talking about. Cook is athletically talented, but isn't yet a fundamentally sound BB player with technique, shooting skills, thinking. Every player has limitations. Cook has more upside waiting to be put to use.

With a perfect fit for a coach, he has a lot of upside, a lot.

But, I don't want him to get too good, yet, needs another year at Iowa :)

There has been a lot of unwarranted dislike.

Is he getting better...sure. those around him are getting better including coaching decisions.

Yes, sometimes he tries to do too much. Agree. Sometimes the other players stand around too much, waiting for him to do something because they know the "play goes through him." It is a common by-product of running through a guy.

You don't have to convince me of his talent, I agree, a generational talent for Iowa, but not a great BB player, yet. It is just that too much of of him is counterproductive, at times.

I think you can say that about most players because they're imperfect. Ethan Happ shooting free throws would be an example of that. He's still one of the best players in the Big Ten as is Cook. They change how opponents defend their respective teams.

The bottom line is that this team is no where near 18-5 without Cook. He makes the game easier for all of his teammates.

TC was huge last night. No doubt. If he continues that type of play, the Hawkeyes become an even tougher out.

He stayed within the limits of his skill set. His problem lies when he attempts things outside those limits.

There has been a lot of unwarranted dislike.

Is he getting better...sure. those around him are getting better including coaching decisions.
Players that tend to turn the ball over, without the team having a chance to score, can be very frustrating. It doesn't matter what their name is or how athletic they might be.

Players that tend to turn the ball over, without the team having a chance to score, can be very frustrating. It doesn't matter what their name is or how athletic they might be.

Again...

Cook averages 3.1 turnovers a game.

Bruno Fernando - 2.7

Ethan Happ - 2.7

Nick Ward, MSU - 2.3

Kaleb Wesson - 2.2

James Palmer 2.3