tyler cook

Bigtenchamp

needs a jumpshot... its 2017.. if you are playing forward and your defender can sag 10 ft off of you... then you belong in 1950.

I've never been so infurated with a basketball team as this one.

I'd also like to mention the inability for anyone to hit a wide open shot down the stretch.. ISU played their typical non defense.

he should have worked on that in the off season. A lot of guys should have worked on a lot of things in the off season. Fran's fault for not giving players an honest assessment of their weaknesses. 2 points tonight is pretty awful.

I was hopeful that Iowa's post players would develop...it is disappointing to see so few decent post moves...Cook seems unable to post up someone with his back to the hoop, and can't shoot a short jump shot with confidence...why is this? It is a common theme...perhaps it is time to reshuffle the staff and hire someone who can teach this fundamental aspect of the game.

Combine this with weak guard play and this team is, well, not very good.

I like Nunge...he needs to play a lot of minutes.

Plus...add, what 8% FT shooting...

Tyler has expanded his game with the jump hook. Also I like him going out to the perimeter drawing defenders out with him, opening the paint at the same time. He had a very good game.....

We might not be able to depend on him to nail threes consistently, but he does have one on the books this season.....

:cool:

he should have worked on that in the off season. A lot of guys should have worked on a lot of things in the off season. Fran's fault for not giving players an honest assessment of their weaknesses. 2 points tonight is pretty awful.

In the PTL he was working on his midrange game, finding ways to score other than dunks. He would change his shot in midair. I do like him using the glass more.....

I still can't figure out why TC spends so much time 17' and beyond reversing the ball. Seems like there could be a better use for him.

Tyler has expanded his game with the jump hook. Also I like him going out to the perimeter drawing defenders out with him, opening the paint at the same time. He had a very good game.....

We might not be able to depend on him to nail threes consistently, but he does have one on the books this season.....

He had by far his worst game of the season.

He got pushed around by the big guy on ISU. He’s got a long way to go if he thinks he’s an NBA guy.

It frustrates me when almost any player is turning down a 16 footer. There were a few possessions where he did just that and didn't even look at the rim. Your bailing out the D when you don't even attempt open looks like that. If he could hit that shot consistently he'd be an NBA guy. That's what made Tim Duncan so ridiculous among other things but he could take the ball and face you up and let the defender decide what he does. If he's off like that he just banks it in from the angle. If he comes up he drives to either side. Basketball is a simple game of taking what they give you. When you don't take it you make it simple for the D...

I was hopeful that Iowa's post players would develop...it is disappointing to see so few decent post moves...Cook seems unable to post up someone with his back to the hoop, and can't shoot a short jump shot with confidence...why is this? It is a common theme...perhaps it is time to reshuffle the staff and hire someone who can teach this fundamental aspect of the game.

Combine this with weak guard play and this team is, well, not very good.

I like Nunge...he needs to play a lot of minutes.

Plus...add, what 8% FT shooting...

Cooks post moves are fine. Last night they were doubling him in the post.

His inability to pass out of the double team/take. care of the ball along with the lack of a mid range jumper are the issues.

I don’t have concerns about his post moves.

...will not play in the NBA. At this point he's a great dunker, and that's about it. Poor rebounder, poor decision-making, out of control most of the time when making a move, absolutely zero game outside of 5ft, and poor defender.

In fairness to Tyler Cook his high school team was better than we are, with his leading guard already in the NBA. He must look at this as if its DII talent around him , much like I do,

Tyler needs to get a dunk or two early in the game to get his mojo flowing. He looked he wasn’t in the game mentally and the effort was minimal on defense.

needs a jumpshot... its 2017.. if you are playing forward and your defender can sag 10 ft off of you... then you belong in 1950.

I'd also like to mention the inability for anyone to hit a wide open shot down the stretch.. ISU played their typical non defense.

I prefer TC playing 10 feet and in. If that is what you mean by a jump shot, then ok. Otherwise, he doesn't need to be launching 3's. Pemsl also needs to take 10 footers.

What player this day in age goes through youth league, high school and AAU ball and doesn't have a formidable 12 ft jump shot? With all those games played. Gotta wonder.

It’s funny how at the end of the game in crunch time they let one of our guards get wide open for three point shots and he clanged them off of the rim. Some players have ice in their veins but some of ours have spaghettios. That’s good coaching to know who to cover and not to cover. Me thinks Bo would have had defensive players all over him.

Last edited:
In fairness to Tyler Cook his high school team was better than we are, with his leading guard already in the NBA. He must look at this as if its DII talent around him , much like I do,
Sure. That’s probably why he has so many bad habits and low basketball IQ. He could rely on his athleticism and the players around him to win. Unfortunately that has really hurt him as a basketball player and our team.

I'm down on TC right now. Obviously he's an unbelievable athlete, but I expected him to make a bigger jump between this season and last. Unless he's within 5-7 feet of the bucket and can get a clear dunk, he's turnover prone or taking a low percentage shot. Right now he's Reggie Evans 2.0 and not even on Reggie's level. Unfortunately, with all that said, he's still our best player. He needs to figure it out and start staying out of foul trouble, because he does us no good on the bench.

I'm down on TC right now. Obviously he's an unbelievable athlete, but I expected him to make a bigger jump between this season and last. Unless he's within 5-7 feet of the bucket and can get a clear dunk, he's turnover prone or taking a low percentage shot. Right now he's Reggie Evans 2.0 and not even on Reggie's level. Unfortunately, with all that said, he's still our best player. He needs to figure it out and start staying out of foul trouble, because he does us no good on the bench.

Especially given that article how a "monster is coming". Teammates were saying he's nailing 3's, taking guys off the dribble, etc. Wtf?!? The guy won't even take an uncontested jumper from the elbow. Fran has been blowing smoke up pur asses about these guys for so long I guess the players actually believe it now.

Latest posts