tyler cook

He had by far his worst game of the season.

He got pushed around by the big guy on ISU. He’s got a long way to go if he thinks he’s an NBA guy.

I am going to give him credit the five assists he made and the 8 rebounds. Solomon only had 8 points, so he and the team did well to contain him. By playing outside, Tyler did draw defenders out, enabling Jack Nunge to score and operate inside.....

That Solomon dude is a handful for anyone. Tyler played him well.....

https://www.hawkeyenation.com/app/uploads/2017/12/Tyler-Cook-Iowa-State-1.jpg

Hilton is not the easiest arena for the opposing teams. The mighty and everyone else leave, hanging their heads. The Hawks had no reason to be contrite, despite giving the game away, literally, with 18 turnovers and missed free throws, and still took them down to the last minute. Clones were lucky to win that one. After all, they had 18 more chances to score than we did and we had the lead throughout the game.....

One encouraging aspect of the last three turnover-laden games was the undeniable fact that, even though we had 18 turnovers each game, we were in the game to the end. This is a good sign. When they learn to value the ball, and control the turnovers we will be winning those games.....

I don't think Tyler is focusing on the NBA right now. He is playing ball for the Hawkeyes and I personally am very pleased that he is.....

:cool:

Sure. That’s probably why he has so many bad habits and low basketball IQ. He could rely on his athleticism and the players around him to win. Unfortunately that has really hurt him as a basketball player and our team.

Here is a novel idea

Stop watching the games

Watch the clowns and revel in their greatness instead

Keep watching Solomon and sing his praises

In fairness to Tyler Cook his high school team was better than we are, with his leading guard already in the NBA. He must look at this as if its DII talent around him , much like I do,

If Iowa had another 1 or 2 the rest of the "DII" talent as you say would look pretty good. Not having that makes every one look bad. Iowa isn't lacking talent. They aren't slow. They aren't un-athletic... they don't have another guard to make the rest of the players shine.

Here is a novel idea

Stop watching the games

Watch the clowns and revel in their greatness instead

Keep watching Solomon and sing his praises
I enjoy watching the games most of the time. He had a rough game last night, I think he’d be the first to admit that.

In regards to the referenced post I firmly believe what I said. I think a lot of his bad habits have been formed from playing on a great team and from skating by on sheer athletic ability.

With that said he’s still the best player on our team and I’m glad we have him.

If Iowa had another 1 or 2 the rest of the "DII" talent as you say would look pretty good. Not having that makes every one look bad. Iowa isn't lacking talent. They aren't slow. They aren't un-athletic... they don't have another guard to make the rest of the players shine.

These things are all true.

These things are all true.

Comparative to who? Let's not act like all these players who excited us last season suddenly lost all the talent and ability. I'm sure you're ruling the roost over in these parts these days... but you're also wrong as often as you are right and that's been bared out plenty of times. You've screamed from the rooftops about Iowa needing an athletic PG. If Iowa had another 1 or 2 that was even serviceable the team wouldn't look slow, unathletic or void of talent. The fact they don't have that magnifies everything else. Teams have missing pieces and then they don't work. The Beatles aren't the same without John. Doesn't mean the rest of the band can't play. I can't ride a Harley without wheels, doesn't mean the rest of the bike isn't quality. This is 100% on Fran - this team needs another good guard, preferably an athletic one who can penetrate.

Comparative to who? Let's not act like all these players who excited us last season suddenly lost all the talent and ability. I'm sure you're ruling the roost over in these parts these days... but you're also wrong as often as you are right and that's been bared out plenty of times. You've screamed from the rooftops about Iowa needing an athletic PG. If Iowa had another 1 or 2 that was even serviceable the team wouldn't look slow, unathletic or void of talent. The fact they don't have that magnifies everything else. Teams have missing pieces and then they don't work. The Beatles aren't the same without John. Doesn't mean the rest of the band can't play. I can't ride a Harley without wheels, doesn't mean the rest of the bike isn't quality.

Compared to most major conference basketball teams we are slow, unathletic and lack talent. That is why we are 4-6. Last year we were slow and unlathetic but we had a very talented player who put up 20 points per game and took pressure off everyone else on offense.

Compared to most major conference basketball teams we are slow, unathletic and lack talent. That is why we are 4-6. Last year we were slow and unlathetic but we had a very talented player who put up 20 points per game and took pressure off everyone else on offense.

You're cray. Besides being young, plenty of these players would play on A LOT of other schools in major conferences.. we just don't have another straw at the guard position to mix the drink like some of the other good teams do. We're 4-6 because of our guard play and defense.. that doesn't mean everything else is shit. It's not a difficult concept, but aint no one gonna stop your narrative on here now so what's the point in arguing... you're right everythings crap.

Last edited:
You're cray. Besides being young, plenty of these players would play on A LOT of other schools in major conferences.. we just don't have another straw at the guard position to mix the drink like some of the other good teams do. We're 4-6 because of our guard play and defense.. that doesn't mean everything else is shit. It's not a difficult concept, but aint no one gonna stop your narrative on here now so what's the point in arguing... you're right everythings crap.

Why are our guards so bad? Because of talent.

Why are we bad at defense? Because we're slow and unathletic.

We're 10 games into the season and have no clue who our best player is. That is a talent issue.

I enjoy watching the games most of the time. He had a rough game last night, I think he’d be the first to admit that.

In regards to the referenced post I firmly believe what I said. I think a lot of his bad habits have been formed from playing on a great team and from skating by on sheer athletic ability.

With that said he’s still the best player on our team and I’m glad we have him.

We are both glad we have him. This is a tough season so far for Hawk fans. I have a feeling that the tide has turned and we will improve from now on. With Dailey on the floor and getting more minutes, we are a better team. Love his hustle. He is active on D and can occasionally nail the three, but he moves the ball downcourt quickly and passes it right away. The team seemed to be moving the ball more last night.....

Sorry about being so short. I tend to react too quickly sometimes.....

Always have liked your posts and attitude.....

:cool:

Hawks are not slow at the power positions. Our players if playing a #2 are fine. It's only about 1 position. The others are overall just fine.

You could add coaching fundamentals to the equation though along with game management.

Why are our guards so bad? Because of talent.

Why are we bad at defense? Because we're slow and unathletic.

We're 10 games into the season and have no clue who our best player is. That is a talent issue.

We are bad on defense because they completely lose track of where everyone is. When Kriener got burned for a wide open layup and you could see the surprise on his face when the pass went to him, that wasn't a slow athletic problem. There are 20 examples of those per game, whereas most teams have only a couple. They get so out of position that Usain Bolt couldn't close out fast enough.

We are bad on defense because they completely lose track of where everyone is. When Kriener got burned for a wide open layup and you could see the surprise on his face when the pass went to him, that wasn't a slow athletic problem. There are 20 examples of those per game, whereas most teams have only a couple. They get so out of position that Usain Bolt couldn't close out fast enough.

Perfect example of a lack of talent on the defensive end.

It was obvious they were using Cook to draw the double team which is why Pemsl and others got some open looks. The refs were calling a lot of charges which made Tyler hesitate. I thought the fact that Tyler was following the game plan instead of going 1 on 5 was a sign of maturity. I am disappointed he and Pemsl haven't developed a jump shot but that's what he's working on. Tyler cook is not the problem.

Cook is a back to the basket 4. And a damn good one. He is strong to the basket and has some really quick feet.

I feel he is being misused. But I think the offense we run doesnt really allow that type of thing. You post Cook up and not many can stop him without a double team.

Does he need to develop a jump shot? Absolutely. But, remember, he was Tatums caddie all through AAU and High School. He didnt need to develop one. He needed to be a threat inside and rebound.

I don't have a big issue with Cook's mid-range shot ability. Where he needs a lot of work is learning how to play under control.

He's always gotten by on his great athletic ability, but what separates great athletes from great players on the court is their ability to channel that athleticism and mentally be ahead of your opponent. Cook has a bad habit of committing to a move before he gauges what the defender is doing, and he ends up with a TO and looks bad doing it.

I totally agree. Anticipation and position and not moving actively, and not knowing who you're guarding......that's an issue. This game is faster than what we have on the floor most times.

Woody was as slow as they come and he was a great defender. 5656 must think he was an athletic freak.

Latest posts