Tyler Cook Says Decision to be Made About Future

Cook is the best player on this team, period. Losing him would be a big blow to next year's team. Hopefully he rises to the occasion and gives this team some much needed leadership. If not, I wish Cook the best of luck wherever he goes. Blasting him because of a rumor not only makes you look stupid, but it makes the Iowa fan base look bad. Don't bash student athletes.

PS: did anyone else see him bring the ball up the court a few times today? His handles are definitely improving. Give him another year and he might be able to play a little more on the wing. That would be a matchup nightmare.

I would love to see this Starting 5 next year:

Bohannon
Wieskamp
Cook
Kreiner
Garza

Line Shift:

McCaffery/Dailey
Moss
Baer
Nunge
Pemsl

(apologies for any spelling errors)

I may get laughed at, but Garza was the best player as the season went on after the Purdue game. Cook can dunk, like a beast. But, he has no outside shot, he sucks at free throws & he's not a good ball handler. His only great shooting game is if he's two feet from the basket. It's laughable that some poster on here made a thread about how Cook is the best player he's ever seen in Iowa in like 55 years, what a joke! Also, how many games did Cook not even show up this year? Many times he looked like a zombie out on the court. He was just atrocious at Minnesota a few weeks ago.

No laughy at the truth. Garza is a true frosh who has attitude and effort. For what he did as a big ...
Cook marginally improved his total game over last year and showed no leadership. Everyone who watches Garza play recognizes he's already emerging as the team leader, not just with a few highlights but by example.

If Fran is smart enough to run the offense inside out, through Garza, allowing kick-outs to JoBo and dump-offs to a silky-smooth cutting JoeWeis ... TC's thunder dunks will be missed but he would mostly just be in the way.

Tyler leaving is good for all, he can get with a program that is trying to win now. A year off would help rejuve him and work on his shot, he made obvious strides this year and can only get better with time and coaching. Fran is in a 100% rebuilding process and losing Cook doesnt make us any worse than we already are plain and simple.

Respectfully, I think a lot of folks are missing the point. Selfishly, the question for Iowa isn't how good is Tyler Cook relative to the rest of the basketball world, or whether he has pro potential. The question is whether his leaving Iowa would hurt Iowa. It would (caveat: unless he has an attitude that has had a negative impact on the team, in which case, he'd have to leave or change). Assuming there is no true caveat, I don't want him to leave, and I'd love to see him back in an Iowa uniform. If he leaves, so be it; it won't be the last time it happens to Iowa; it may be more difficult, but I'm sure they'll have a team next year.

I hate to see him go as well. He is the most talented player on the team and has a ton of potential. That said-
Offensively he kills possessions as often as he scores. He's pretty good at iso play but it's bad for flow and takes him out of rebounding position. He turns it over a lot.
Defensively he gives poor effort much of the time from a position where we have to have it.
His rebounding is not that great on a per minute basis for a big.

What is painful is that all those things are correctable. Tyler, if you're reading this, stay at Iowa and get better.

He doesn't run the plays and has dumb people around him telling him to leave.

IMO it might be better if he just goes. He's talented and not ready for NBA but he's had a history at Iowa of not listening to Fran and trying to score on his own.

The urge to leave is natural considering the dumpster fire that we had this year, but with Wieskamp coming in, Tyler should have more room to operate next year as defenses will have more threats to cover on the outside. If he stays, he will be a real asset, but Martin is a pretty good salesman.

Those of you that think Iowa will be better without Cook are insane. He's gone and it's possible Iowa will improve next season but it won't be because Tyler Cook is no longer with the team.

He doesn't run the plays and has dumb people around him telling him to leave.
This comment sticks out to me because even in yesterdays game I swear the announcers commented on exchange between Cook and Fran when Cook got subbed out and they said it was because he wasn't running the play and showed a replay and said what he was supposed to be doing and he didn't do it.

I'm in the camp that ideally he stays. But there are multiple reasons where it would be not ideal. Attitude, refusal to be a team player, grades, locker room drama etc.

I heard one NBA scout about a month ago on the radio say Cook wasn't even on his top 150 prospects list. It only makes sense for him to come back one more year, work his butt off on his fundamentals and shooting ability and thus have himself hyped up more then enter the draft after next season.

But it sounds like maybe he's got a lot of clinger-ons who are telling him how great he is?

Iowa is in now way better without Cook next year. But in the same breath I say, "see ya" if you don't want to be here. He's Iowa's best player but I'd hate to lose Garza more then any one. If that makes any sense? I've heard Dailey skuzzlebutt as well.

Iowa is in now way better without Cook next year. But in the same breath I say, "see ya" if you don't want to be here. He's Iowa's best player but I'd hate to lose Garza more then any one. If that makes any sense? I've heard Dailey skuzzlebutt as well.

Losing Cook is way worse than losing Luka. I think it's pretty obvious now that Cook is going to Missouri which makes me want to start looking at replacements for Fran immediately.

Losing Cook is way worse than losing Luka. I think it's pretty obvious now that Cook is going to Missouri which makes me want to start looking at replacements for Fran immediately.

I don't agree - and that's ok. I think Luka actually plays in the NBA someday.

Latest posts