Tyler Cook Says Decision to be Made About Future

I may get laughed at, but Garza was the best player as the season went on after the Purdue game. Cook can dunk, like a beast. But, he has no outside shot, he sucks at free throws & he's not a good ball handler. His only great shooting game is if he's two feet from the basket. It's laughable that some poster on here made a thread about how Cook is the best player he's ever seen in Iowa in like 55 years, what a joke! Also, how many games did Cook not even show up this year? Many times he looked like a zombie out on the court. He was just atrocious at Minnesota a few weeks ago.
I think your pretty far off. Your talking about Iowa's leading scorer and rebounder for the season. What that other poster actually wrote was he was the most TALENTED player he's seen not BEST PLAYER. Those aren't the same thing. Has Cook had some bad games and have a lot of room to improve? You bet. No debate or argument there. Just don't try running him down like you are. Garza has had some good games down the stretch for sure. I wouldn't say he's been the best player however. You have to remember he benefited (actually they both did) from having each other on the floor together.

The longer this thread gets the more I feel like "Cook leaving is not that big a deal" is just such an Iowa fan thing to do. Like we can't have nice things so whatever. Cook leaving is a huge deal and if you are ambivalent about it that is freaking depressing.

The longer this thread gets the more I feel like "Cook leaving is not that big a deal" is just such an Iowa fan thing to do. Like we can't have nice things so whatever. Cook leaving is a huge deal and if you are ambivalent about it that is freaking depressing.

It’s definitely not an Iowa thing. When there’s bad news like a player leaving fans are always going to rationalize why it’s not that bad. I get tired of people acting like Iowa fans are somehow unique in their reactions.

All IMO...

Cook won't transfer (and I don't want him to transfer). He has too much confidence in his game to sit a year. I suspect he thinks he's definitely ready for the NBA after next season. If he works on his decision making (basketball IQ) and defense he will be good enough to go the Jok route...get evaluated after next season and potentially get drafted after his Senior season.

When all is said and done we will look back at this year's roster and say Garza was (at the end of his career) the best all around player (basketball player not athlete) on this year's team. He plays hard and hustles. He works at every aspect of his game. He has a legitimate post game. He can make FTs. He can shoot the 3. He will be a match up nightmare. And I see him being a decent defender by next season.

Finally, we are not rebuilding and this is not a young team...next year. Baer (5th year senior) will be in the rotation. We will have 6 experienced juniors (4th year for Moss)...with at least 4 or 5 and possibly 6 in the rotation. Both Nungee and Garza should be improved...and will be legitimate 3 point threats and good FT shooters. Add in Weiskamp and Connor and that's an experienced and balanced team that just has to get older and smarter and defend better. The pieces are all there.

I remember when Pierce got kicked off the team fans on the old scout site saying that he wouldn't be missed either. And that Carlton Reed would step in and replace him. Now, Pierce was a monster that deserved to be gone long before he was but he was also Iowa's best player. With him they played toe to toe with North Carolina and Illinois, the 2 teams in the NC game that season. Without him they were a 10 seed one and done team.

There's no sugar coating it. Him leaving would be huge. I can't see how any fan of Iowa could say otherwise. I don't see Reggie Evans walking through that door to replace him (That type of player is exactly what they need with or without Cook) So time will tell...

welp.... he's considering the NBA, he's not gonna like what he hears back. This is the same scenario as Jok.

I absolutely hate to admit this, but when your star player (who everyone says is a great kid and a great teammate) is talking about leaving the team, you have a huge problem. I'm starting to think Fran is the problem. What the heck is going on with this program? And don't kid yourself or rationalize it, Cook is a GREAT player who will only get better if he stays in college. I can't even imagine what he would have done this year at Michigan Stat, Ohio State or Purdue, surrounded by other good, athletic players.

What you have to remember is that he played on one of the worst teams in Power 5 basketball this year. We absolutely stunk. We didn't beat one team in the RPI top 100. It had to wear on him. He should suck it up and stay at Iowa; be a leader and be a captain. Will he do it? I have no idea.

Great work, TKSirius. He is thinking about the NBA.....

IDK man. If Woodbury can play in the G league, I think Cook can do it. I don't Cook is ready for the NBA, but he's not as bad as you make him out to be.

Agreed. Amile Jefferson (Duke) plays for the Iowa Wolves (G League team for the Minnesota Timberwolves). Undrafted. He is 6 foot 9 and averages 35 minutes/game. He averages 17.8 points/12.8 rebounds a game. He is 1-5 from three on the season. His last season at Duke he averaged 10.9 points/8.4 rebounds per game in 30 minutes. I think Cook compares to Jefferson. There are a bunch of dudes like Cook in the G League.

Last edited:
After seeing his tweet and eliminating the Mizzu factor, . It’s looks like the situation is exactly what Jok did last year, Cook will test the NBA waters to get feedback. This could be really good for Iowa.

All IMO...

Cook won't transfer (and I don't want him to transfer). He has too much confidence in his game to sit a year. I suspect he thinks he's definitely ready for the NBA after next season. If he works on his decision making (basketball IQ) and defense he will be good enough to go the Jok route...get evaluated after next season and potentially get drafted after his Senior season.

When all is said and done we will look back at this year's roster and say Garza was (at the end of his career) the best all around player (basketball player not athlete) on this year's team. He plays hard and hustles. He works at every aspect of his game. He has a legitimate post game. He can make FTs. He can shoot the 3. He will be a match up nightmare. And I see him being a decent defender by next season.

Finally, we are not rebuilding and this is not a young team...next year. Baer (5th year senior) will be in the rotation. We will have 6 experienced juniors (4th year for Moss)...with at least 4 or 5 and possibly 6 in the rotation. Both Nungee and Garza should be improved...and will be legitimate 3 point threats and good FT shooters. Add in Weiskamp and Connor and that's an experienced and balanced team that just has to get older and smarter and defend better. The pieces are all there.

You've always been a half glass full kinda guy...lol

welp.... he's considering the NBA, he's not gonna like what he hears back. This is the same scenario as Jok.
Only Jok was a junior, not a sophomore, and he was a lot better than Cook. Cook hopefully isn’t dumb enough to think he can make the NBA right now, and the people around him hopefully aren’t dumb enough either. I think he’s either staying or transferring (I’m leaning towards transferring), just not to Missouri.

Only Jok was a junior, not a sophomore, and he was a lot better than Cook. Cook hopefully isn’t dumb enough to think he can make the NBA right now, and the people around him hopefully aren’t dumb enough either. I think he’s either staying or transferring (I’m leaning towards transferring), just not to Missouri.
Transferring makes absolutely zero sense. Tyler has not been shy about his pro aspirations, sitting a year out would be the height of stupidity in that regard.

If he does transfer it means he really does not want to be at Iowa.

I think your pretty far off. Your talking about Iowa's leading scorer and rebounder for the season. What that other poster actually wrote was he was the most TALENTED player he's seen not BEST PLAYER. Those aren't the same thing. Has Cook had some bad games and have a lot of room to improve? You bet. No debate or argument there. Just don't try running him down like you are. Garza has had some good games down the stretch for sure. I wouldn't say he's been the best player however. You have to remember he benefited (actually they both did) from having each other on the floor together.
That's your opinion and I can respect that

Cook's heart not in it...

Others will rise, with zero pressure, with him gone...it will be difficult to be as bad next year as they were this year...even if they would try to be that bad...

I hope Iowa rises from the rubble...but I am not going to spend a lot of energy thinking about it...or hoping for it...

I like to be pleasantly surprised...