Tyler Cook Gone

The Cook dislike is old. He will be missed.

Didn't say I didn't like him, only that the holes in his game the other poster indicated were not untrue.

He was a good leader and teammate and his athleticism, explosiveness and power will be missed.

Really doesn't change much... Cook was an okay player. He is an okay guy? I really have no clue.

As far as all these posts of how he was a "great teammate?" Again I really don't know. But I don't want to pile on the guy.

I really don't think this is much of a loss... sorry but I don't.
I think you're wrong. Like Jok, he demanded a lot of attention from opposing defenses. That created space for his teammates. You thought Garza struggled down the stretch this year? Wait til defense start collapsing on him in the post, because he doesn't have a TC on the floor, drawing defenders.

We all have the right to be frustrated and I'm as guilty of that as anyone. But the season's over. This isn't some emotional night after a tough loss kind of moment anymore. This thread has a nasty vibe in the air and it reflects the stale feeling that many Iowa fans have towards the program.

Look at this year's Iowa team. Look at Iowa in the last 10+ years. Who's been our best player? Uthoff, Marble, Gatens, Jok? Let's not pretend like the bar is so high and almighty. How many of these guys are NBA players? The sad answer is none. I don't think we've produced a true NBA player (that played minutes) since Reggie Evans. Think about that.

I was sitting front row for Iowa @ Minnesota this year and watched Cook go into hero-mode at the end of the game and turned the ball over in catastrophic fashion. I feel everyone's pain and frustration with him. And the fact that he's leaving early, and he put us through this same process last off-season, it's annoying. But let's not pretend that he was a poor player.

Let's promptly quit with the talk of "we'll be better off without him next year". Are you kidding me? What team is better off without their best player? What team were you watching this year that was overloaded with talent and athleticism? It sure wasn't the Hawkeyes. We had one guy that stood out and looked the part. It was Tyler Cook. Fans are so critical of his lack of progression in jump shooting and other skills, like ball handling. The shooting is obviously an issue, but I saw a guy who massively progressed as a ball handler. He brought the ball up the floor +5 times per game, as a clear means of practicing the skill and getting comfortable with the ball in his hands. It was a risk with consequences, but clearly something he wanted to do to grow as a player. And he did.

Where's the passionate fan criticism of our 4 year "program" guys who never seem to put the time in and get in good shape? The guys who, year after year, don't seem to improve their athletic ability, agility, or strength - at all. How many big men have we had who just never improve? When was Adam Woodbury going to break out? When was Zach McCabe going to show up for the season in basketball shape? What about Aaron White hitting weight room and putting on 15lbs of muscle? It just never happened. But when it comes to a supremely talented guy like Tyler Cook, who has clearly committed himself to the game and program, we're all so critical.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I think Tyler Cook is one of the greatest Hawkeyes to plan in this century.
First off I’ll say I like Tyler and I’m not trying to knock him down, I’m just interested in facts. I’m not convinced he was the the best player on Iowa. Here is what the advanced stats say (only including regulars):

PER:
Garza 22.7
Baer 20.8
Cook 19.3
Wieskamp 19.1

(Note: Cook’s likely replacement Nunge was at 17.2 PER last year as a frosh)

WS/40:
Garza .166
Baer .164
Wieskamp .154
Cook .122

Box +/-:
Baer 11.4
Wieskamp 8.1
Garza 5.2
Bohannon 4.6
Kriener 4.4
Cook 4.2

Offensive rating:
Wieskamp 125.5
Garza 119.9
Baer 119.6
Bohannon 117.0
McCaffery 109.5
Kriener 109.4
Cook 105.8

Defensive rating (lower is better):
Baer 98.1
Kriener 103.5
Cook 104.0

So I’m not sure those stats would agree that Cook was the best player, he actually regressed in many of those categories this year. That’s why some people feel we will be able to absorb his loss. Those stats might also show we are underestimating how big of loss Baer is. Again I like TC, but as Hawkeyes I’m definitely taking JU, Marble, White, and Jok over him in the Fran era.

Last edited:
Hey. Knock it off with facts that don’t fit a negative narrative about an unpaid amateur athlete.

Here are some more that don’t matter...

Career: Scored in double figures 69 times, including netting 20 points or more 15 times… posted 15 double-doubles, which ties for 15th most in program history since 1970… one of nine players in program history to total more than 1,300 points and 600 rebounds… ranks 20th in Iowa career scoring with 1,315 points… his 252 rebounds pulled down in 2018-19 are eighth most by an Iowa junior in program history.

Junior Season: Second-team All-Big Ten selection by the media and third team by the coaches… USBWA All-District and NABC Second Team All-District honoree...led team in scoring (14.5) and rebounding (7.6), and ranked second in field goal percentage (.528), all ranking in the top 13 in the Big Ten… recorded a team-best six double-doubles (Wisconsin, Iowa State, Northern Iowa, Bryant, Northwestern, and Ohio State)… netted double figures a team-best 25 times… led team in rebounding a team-best 19 times… pulled down double-digit rebounds seven times… registered at least 15 points and five rebounds over 10-game span from Nov. 30 to Jan. 12, becoming the first Hawkeye to do so in 10 straight games since James Winters (1993-94).

Won Kenny Arnold Hawkeye Spirit Award as a sophomore.
A player like that won't be missed at all. Just ask the board. :confused:

Wasn’t Cook also the first highly regarded player...not from Iowa...to commit to Iowa? Since he broke the seal the recruiting has been on an upward trajectory with guys not from Iowa IMO...Garza, Nunge, Toussaint and hopefully more to come.

I think you're wrong. Like Jok, he demanded a lot of attention from opposing defenses. That created space for his teammates. You thought Garza struggled down the stretch this year? Wait til defense start collapsing on him in the post, because he doesn't have a TC on the floor, drawing defenders.
Garza certainly didn’t struggle in the BTT or NCAA tournament.

Next year it’s possible we will have a four man who can shoot the three, thus giving Garza more room to operate down low. Now we just need to teach Garza to pass it out a little more often.

NBA body, strength and quickness for sure but does he have the skill to make it to the pros? Wish him the best of luck either way.....

First off I’ll say I like Tyler and I’m not trying to knock him down, I’m just interested in facts. I’m not convinced he was the the best player on Iowa. Here is what te advanced stats say (only including regulars):

PER:
Garza 22.7
Baer 20.8
Cook 19.3
Wieskamp 19.1

(Note: Cook’s likely replacement Nunge was at 17.2 PER last year as a frosh)

WS/40:
Garza .166
Baer .164
Wieskamp .154
Cook .122

Box +/-:
Baer 11.4
Wieskamp 8.1
Garza 5.2
Bohannon 4.6
Kriener 4.4
Cook 4.2

Offensive rating:
Wieskamp 125.5
Garza 119.9
Baer 119.6
Bohannon 117.0
McCaffery 109.5
Kriener 109.4
Cook 105.8

Defensive rating (lower is better):
Baer 98.1
Kriener 103.5
Cook 104.0

So I’m not sure those stats would agree that Cook was the best player, he actually regressed in many of those categories this year. That’s why some people feel we will be able to absorb his loss. Those stats might also show we are underestimating how big of loss Baer is. Again I like TC, but as Hawkeyes I’m definitely taking JU, Marble, White, and Akol over him in the Fran era.

Hey. Knock it off with facts that don’t fit a positive narrative!!

To be clear I was hoping Cook would be back, he improves the team and gives Iowa a better chance at competing for the Big Ten title. But I don't think he is irreplaceable and even without Cook I think Iowa will be able to get back to the tournament and make some noise in the Big Ten.

In the games where they were missing Cook I thought the Hawks played better as a team. We all know Cook can score and he can rebound and that will be missed, but he struggled defensively and never developed a jump shot. If he can show that he can score from more than 3 feet away from the basket he'd make one heck of an NBA player.

I'll be rooting for him.

Wasn’t Cook also the first highly regarded player...not from Iowa...to commit to Iowa? Since he broke the seal the recruiting has been on an upward trajectory with guys not from Iowa IMO...Garza, Nunge, Toussaint and hopefully more to come.

Technically Gesell was from Nebraska, South Sioux City which is just on the other side of the Missouri River.

Hey. Knock it off with facts that don’t fit a positive narrative!!

To be clear I was hoping Cook would be back, he improves the team and gives Iowa a better chance at competing for the Big Ten title. But I don't think he is irreplaceable and even without Cook I think Iowa will be able to get back to the tournament and make some noise in the Big Ten.

In the games where they were missing Cook I thought the Hawks played better as a team. We all know Cook can score and he can rebound and that will be missed, but he struggled defensively and never developed a jump shot. If he can show that he can score from more than 3 feet away from the basket he'd make one heck of an NBA player.

I'll be rooting for him.
Agreed. I definitely wanted him back, I’m just not convinced he’s irreplaceable. I wish him the best. My personal opinion is that Nunge will shine actually.

Its too bad he's leaving but can't fault the guy for trying to make some money.

I'm very interested to see what he'll do with a professional coach. Particularly one that values defense.

There's a difference between intelligently and respectfully analyzing a college player and his pro prospects and continually harping on the things he didn't do during his career here, ignoring what he brought to the table and taking vailed shots at a kid that gave what he did to the program. Or, folks just flat out saying good riddance or pissing on the kid's dream to play professional with condescension.

I don't understand why people would do that.

This is Riley Till's mom:

There's a difference between intelligently and respectfully analyzing a college player and his pro prospects and continually harping on the things he didn't do during his career here, ignoring what he brought to the table and taking vailed shots at a kid that gave what he did to the program. Or, folks just flat out saying good riddance or pissing on the kid's dream to play professional with condescension.

Those people pissing on his dream were only one knee injury away from going pro in their respective sports don’t you know? :rolleyes:

The advanced stats say Cook's best season was as a sophomore. He had his worst offensive year this season statistically. This was most likely due to him getting the ball on the perimeter more to allow him to create and draw fouls, which he did at the highest rate of his career indicated by the .592 FTr. Unfortunately his FT% wasn't great and this led to the decreased advanced shooting percentages. That said, the FTr increase helped cause foul trouble for opponents numerous times that definitely helped the Hawks win some games. Advanced defensive stats are kind of a crap shoot but the one's listed below are basically static outside of his defensive rebounding that increased slightly.

upload_2019-4-5_8-39-46.png

Tyler was a great Hawk and put up some really good numbers. He will be missed next year as it's never easy to replace a guy that's played as many minutes as he did yet alone a guy that drew the constant attention of the opposition.

He has the raw tools to get a shot at the NBA. We all know his limitations right now but who knows what a change of scenery could do for his career if it's the right fit. Best of the luck to him, I hope he kills it wherever he ends up.

Twitter is a horrible place, it gives horrible people a voice. Kris Bryant deleted his Twitter account because of all the negativity. For every 10 replies you will get at least 1 negative one and the negative ones wind up getting all the attention. People that crave attention live off of that.

Put me in the category of Tyler being a good college player and wish he was coming back but his next step is not the NBA.

TC wore the black and gold...........................

He will have a pro future somewhere. I hope he makes lots of money, my guess it will be overseas.

I feel Nunge is the real key to next year. If he's gotten stronger and worked on his game like the reports say he could be a real difference maker. It has always seemed like he had star potential. Nunge and Garza could be a real force, the second edition of the Twin Towers?

Wouldn't it be great to bring in a really good grad transfer or two for next year? How about a PG that can make it happen? What would we want in a second grad transfer, a good athlete?

The worst tweet I saw in there was someone posting a pic of butterfingers. The only other bad one was posted by @lincolnmayor. Was she referring to negative posts on some other twitter thread?

The worst tweet I saw in there was someone posting a pic of butterfingers. The only other bad one was posted by @lincolnmayor. Was she referring to negative posts on some other twitter thread?

You need to search his name on twitter and/or go through all the threads on the discussion there if you're really interested in seeing the nonsense. I'm not posting them on here. Those people are assholes.

Latest posts