Tyler Cook Gone

I will miss TC next season. I think another year could have helped his chances at an NBA pro career. As it stands, he could make decent money in Europe for a while. I wish him the best.

TC wore the black and gold...........................

He will have a pro future somewhere. I hope he makes lots of money, my guess it will be overseas.

I feel Nunge is the real key to next year. If he's gotten stronger and worked on his game like the reports say he could be a real difference maker. It has always seemed like he had star potential. Nunge and Garza could be a real force, the second edition of the Twin Towers?

Wouldn't it be great to bring in a really good grad transfer or two for next year? How about a PG that can make it happen? What would we want in a second grad transfer, a good athlete?
Two grad transfers on a team already chalked full of veterans is very unlikely. Grad transfers typically seek minutes and we don’t have a whole lot of those even with Cook gone. If Moss leaves maybe we could get a grad transfer.

If we got one grad transfer I’d say some sort of guard or wing that can make plays off the dribble as we don’t have much of that.

Garza certainly didn’t struggle in the BTT or NCAA tournament.

Next year it’s possible we will have a four man who can shoot the three, thus giving Garza more room to operate down low. Now we just need to teach Garza to pass it out a little more often.
Down the stretch of BIG play he struggled a bit. You can say he'll have more room to operate but it won't be a reality if we still play offense from the inside-out. Especially if Garza doesn't learn to read the defense and kick the ball back out, like you suggest. That's such a weapon for a post like Garza. If he could learn that part of the game, things would open up considerably.

There's a difference between intelligently and respectfully analyzing a college player and his pro prospects and continually harping on the things he didn't do during his career here, ignoring what he brought to the table and taking vailed shots at a kid that gave what he did to the program. Or, folks just flat out saying good riddance or pissing on the kid's dream to play professional with condescension.

I don't understand why people would do that.

This is Riley Till's mom:

Thanks Riley's mom. I concur...I'm not sure how you can look back and be critical of Tyler Cook. Hell, I didn't think Larry Bird had a good handle...I thought he was loose with the ball at times. Everyone can find something in a player that is deficient or not NBA level. It's all about growth and viewing players as developmental...even as 21 year old players. Every year Magic, Bird, Jordan improved in areas that they felt were deficient...that is where their summers went.

Tyler Cook can now dedicate himself full time to being a better player. If that involves playing in Europe, so be it. To think at some point, he won't be on an NBA roster is short sighted. He has something you can't teach, athleticism and drive. If he adds a consistent 15-18 foot jump shot, he's an NBA player...period.

Personally, I'll look back at Tyler's career and remember the incredible dunks...just incredible. The out of bounds alley oop dunk against Illinois. The in your face dunk against the SEC player of the year in the second half against Tennessee.

Thanks Tyler.

First off I’ll say I like Tyler and I’m not trying to knock him down, I’m just interested in facts. I’m not convinced he was the the best player on Iowa. Here is what the advanced stats say (only including regulars):

So I’m not sure those stats would agree that Cook was the best player, he actually regressed in many of those categories this year. That’s why some people feel we will be able to absorb his loss. Those stats might also show we are underestimating how big of loss Baer is. Again I like TC, but as Hawkeyes I’m definitely taking JU, Marble, White, and Jok over him in the Fran era.

I think we're in agreement on these Iowa players. Even if you rank those 4 above Cook (most would...), that leaves Cook as one of the greatest Iowa players of the 21st century (fifth best).

I don't really care about the advanced statistics as much as I care about Iowa basketball developing a culture where we can take in talented players. I want Xavier Foster and DJ Carton to want to play for Iowa. If you're those guys, and you didn't actually grow up a true Hawkeye fan (like Wieskamp might have, for example...), what do you make of the fan sentiment towards Tyler Cook? Does a kid like Foster view this situation and think... "I'll go to Iowa and play 2-3 years... develop my game... give it MY ALL... and the fans will resent me and openly say they'd rather cheer for my backup walk-on anyway. They'll be happy to see me go". How does that sound?

Also, where's the criticism for Isaiah Moss? Imagine if Moss had Tyler Cook's commitment in the weight room and aggressive mentality? That would have taken this year's team to the next level. Instead, he's just a passive 2 guard, oozing with talent. Rocking the T-shirt under his jersey because he doesn't really work out that much.

Last I checked, we're not turning away big-bodied, physically gifted players. For years, Iowa's roster has been full of long/thin, scrappy, athletically limited guys. Cherish what we had in T Cook!

There's a difference between intelligently and respectfully analyzing a college player and his pro prospects and continually harping on the things he didn't do during his career here, ignoring what he brought to the table and taking vailed shots at a kid that gave what he did to the program. Or, folks just flat out saying good riddance or pissing on the kid's dream to play professional with condescension.

I don't understand why people would do that.

This is Riley Till's mom:

Riley's mom is a bonafide babe, that's all I really have to add to this.

I think we're in agreement on these Iowa players. Even if you rank those 4 above Cook (most would...), that leaves Cook as one of the greatest Iowa players of the 21st century (fifth best).

I don't really care about the advanced statistics as much as I care about Iowa basketball developing a culture where we can take in talented players. I want Xavier Foster and DJ Carton to want to play for Iowa. If you're those guys, and you didn't actually grow up a true Hawkeye fan (like Wieskamp might have, for example...), what do you make of the fan sentiment towards Tyler Cook? Does a kid like Foster view this situation and think... "I'll go to Iowa and play 2-3 years... develop my game... give it MY ALL... and the fans will resent me and openly say they'd rather cheer for my backup walk-on anyway. They'll be happy to see me go". How does that sound?

Also, where's the criticism for Isaiah Moss? Imagine if Moss had Tyler Cook's commitment in the weight room and aggressive mentality? That would have taken this year's team to the next level. Instead, he's just a passive 2 guard, oozing with talent. Rocking the T-shirt under his jersey because he doesn't really work out that much.

Last I checked, we're not turning away big-bodied, physically gifted players. For years, Iowa's roster has been full of long/thin, scrappy, athletically limited guys. Cherish what we had in T Cook!
On your point about the fan base, every fan base has those people and who even knows if half the people on Twitter are actually Iowa fans. Do a twitter search on Amir Coffey and you will see much of the same.

Second your assumption about Moss in the weight room is just that, your assumption. You have no clue how hard these guys work. It’s entirely possible that Cook was just naturally gifted with some of that strength and that Moss works his tail off in the weight room, nobody knows. Also, don’t you think it sounds kind of stupid that your getting mad at people for criticizing Cook yet you’re going after Moss and his supposed “work ethic” in your post?

I have no issue with TC I wish him the best. Actually we should hope he gets to the league because that should help our recruiting. With that said I do feel he can be replaced.

Thanks Riley's mom. I concur...I'm not sure how you can look back and be critical of Tyler Cook. Hell, I didn't think Larry Bird had a good handle...I thought he was loose with the ball at times. Everyone can find something in a player that is deficient or not NBA level. It's all about growth and viewing players as developmental...even as 21 year old players. Every year Magic, Bird, Jordan improved in areas that they felt were deficient...that is where their summers went.

Tyler Cook can now dedicate himself full time to being a better player. If that involves playing in Europe, so be it. To think at some point, he won't be on an NBA roster is short sighted. He has something you can't teach, athleticism and drive. If he adds a consistent 15-18 foot jump shot, he's an NBA player...period.

Personally, I'll look back at Tyler's career and remember the incredible dunks...just incredible. The out of bounds alley oop dunk against Illinois. The in your face dunk against the SEC player of the year in the second half against Tennessee.

Thanks Tyler.

Is there really much of a midrange game in today's NBA? I see a lot of offense on the perimeter, isolations plays, and post up game. You hear a lot of analytics people saying the 18-21 ft jumper is the worst shot in basketball.

Best wishes to him. I think he could have developed even more under better coaching circumstances.

Also, don’t you think it sounds kind of stupid that your getting mad at people for criticizing Cook yet you’re going after Moss and his supposed “work ethic” in your post?

Yes and No. Yes for obvious reasons. And no, because he literally looked sleepy during many of our games and it's symbolic of how I view him as a player.

Is there really much of a midrange game in today's NBA? I see a lot of offense on the perimeter, isolations plays, and post up game. You hear a lot of analytics people saying the 18-21 ft jumper is the worst shot in basketball.
There isn’t much for post up game either, at least back to the basket. It’s 3s, fast breaks. and then pick and rolls for dunks / layups. Many NBA games just break out into a 3-pt shooting contest.

Yes and No. Yes for obvious reasons. And no, because he literally looked sleepy during many of our games and it's symbolic of how I view him as a player.
So then it’s possible that people have different view than you on Tyler Cook? Honestly TC was lazy on the court at times for Iowa.

Who made you the king on who can be criticized and who can’t? ;)

I say that half jokingly, but I do feel you kind of ruined your argument by criticizing a different player in order to support Cook.

I know some will disagree with me but I think Iowa will be just fine without him next year. I don't see an NBA player in Tyler Cook and I hope I'm wrong as it would be good for Iowa to get a player into the NBA. I think Iowa will be fine with Kreiner, Pemsl, and Garza, I'm anxious to see how much Nunge has developed.

That’s what they said when Peter Jok moved on. I profusely disagreed then but not so much on Cook. Cook was good at drawing fouls because of his aggressive nature around or driving toward the basket. However his lack of shooting ability from outside of five feet limited his overall impact on the team.

Pemsl needs to develope an reliable outside shot or he will be even less affective than Cook as he doesn’t have as aggressive skill set around the basket. Kriener is a lunch pail type of player and should do well with more minutes. Now if he can just stop doing dumb fouls. Garza should be set to really shine.

Iowa is looking to fill scholarships this spring that opened up with the exit of Cook and Dailey. That's not to say it will. It has to be the right fit.

Maybe the wrong fit will be the right fit. There’s areas where a significant change needs to be made starting on defense.

So then it’s possible that people have different view than you on Tyler Cook? Honestly TC was lazy on the court at times for Iowa.

Who made you the king on who can be criticized and who can’t? ;)

I say that half jokingly, but I do feel you kind of ruined your argument by criticizing a different player in order to support Cook.

Maybe so. But I hope to encourage good conversation about where/how we choose to criticize the program. Iowa has a talent problem in hoops. We're losing our most talented player (to pro basketball... not a transfer/quitting, so this is kind of a good thing?). We need to get better recruits, and by all accounts, Cook has been our best recruit. We need more guys like him, not less.

But, I do think Wieskamp will be better and could go down as one of the best Iowa players ever. So we might look back on Wieskamp as the "best recruit", hopefully.

Maybe I am wrong as I am going by memory but to me I remember Cook shooting better from the outside as a freshman than he did as a senior. He may have put to much focus on being more aggressive around the basket. I wish him the best but I will be shocked if he makes the roster of any NBA team. He always struggled against other big men with good skill sets around the basket and every NBA team has at least one if not more of these types of players.

No shooting touch means no NBA. I hope I am wrong as Tyler comes off as being a good teammate and a good person.

There isn’t much for post up game either, at least back to the basket. It’s 3s, fast breaks. and then pick and rolls for dunks / layups. Many NBA games just break out into a 3-pt shooting contest.

Yeah, the post game has dipped and evolved quite a bit too. It used to be an art form for bigger guys like Olajuwon and Mchale, now you usually only see it with bigger guards after a defensive switch gives them a good matchup. And if I'm being honest that turns into more of a clear out isolation play than true post up game. At least the post up game that I grew up watching in the NBA.

If you say so. Wasnt obvious.

Heck, I wish he was coming back another year. His explosiveness always made the opposition have to account for it.

He does have the holes in his game mentioned but if I had a mulligan, I would have probably not posted what I did about the other guy pointing them out and not being inaccurate in his assessment.

Maybe so. But I hope to encourage good conversation about where/how we choose to criticize the program. Iowa has a talent problem in hoops. We're losing our most talented player (to pro basketball... not a transfer/quitting, so this is kind of a good thing?). We need to get better recruits, and by all accounts, Cook has been our best recruit. We need more guys like him, not less.

But, I do think Wieskamp will be better and could go down as one of the best Iowa players ever. So we might look back on Wieskamp as the "best recruit", hopefully.
I agree. Hoping 2020 can be a banner class for us and increase the talent level.

Latest posts