Tyler Cook Commits to Iowa

I think Cook's commit is a big deal for a number of reasons. Obviously what he brings to the basketball court is the main thing.

However, I'd go a step further in saying that his commitment has to mean a ton to Fran and his staff. No one works harder than Fran's team at recruiting. They are all over the place. They've come in second or third on some big name recruits, and when you spend as much time and effort as they do trying to reel these guys in and then strike out at the last minute it has to be an incredibly frustrating experience. Fran's inability to land a big name recruit for quite awhile didn't really bother me from a team perspective because I know how good he is at developing players and finding under the radar talent. I was never in panic mode like a small minority of people seemed to be. My point is Cook's commitment has to be a huge morale booster for Fran and his coaching staff. They deserve it. I'm happy for them more than anything else.

Totally agree. I am impressed by his hang time noticable on his videos at times and also his traditional hook shot and a basket facing hook, not unlike Karim's Skyhook.....

Totally agree. I am impressed by his hang time noticable on his videos at times and also his traditional hook shot and a basket facing hook, not unlike Karim's Skyhook.....

I've wondered why more post players haven't developed a Kareem style hook shot. For those who are too young to have watched the man with his "skyhook" - well it was a thing of beauty and he was the only thing that could stop it. When he missed.

Tyler Cook has some Chris Weber tendencies.

Webber was the most talented PF to come through college basketball in the last 30 years. He's extremely underrated since most people just remember the Fab Five stuff and the timeout, not how unbelievable of a player he actually was and at a time when there was a high level of college basketball being played.

Maybe Tyler is exaggerating some (kids will do that), but I read recently that he says he is now 6'9" and 245. Whatever, he looks like an absolute beast in his videos.

Love where I read that his mother loved Coach McCaffery and his staff because they had a vision for her son.

Maybe she's been feeding him Chunky Soup. You know, like in those commercials a few years ago with the football players.

I like to hear about mothers being closely involved with their children. It bolds well for them to get their FOUR year degrees. This could be a fun four years for him and his teammates.

Yeah, except I thought a I read a tweet from him that he isn't sure if he'll play college for 1,2,3, or 4 years, meaning of course, that he thinks he'll be in the NBA at some point. But I guess it's win-win for Iowa because if he's that good for a year or three then the Hawks will reep the benefits.

Yeah, except I thought a I read a tweet from him that he isn't sure if he'll play college for 1,2,3, or 4 years, meaning of course, that he thinks he'll be in the NBA at some point. But I guess it's win-win for Iowa because if he's that good for a year or three then the Hawks will reep the benefits.

I just re-read that article. It was when he'd selected his final 6 and he was commenting on each college. Among other things, he said he is coachable an felt like the Iowa staff could get him ready for the next level; whether it is in 1, 2, 3 or 4 years. He probably will be an NBA player if he develop a jumper out to 15 ft.

I say it because you're down to recruiting jucos. Transfers aren't coming and the high school players coming in can't be any good because they're 3 stars at best. As any good cyfan knows Iowa's 3 stars coming in this year get trashed constantly by cyfans. I'm surecyfans feel the same way about their 3 stars. The real recruiting coup for ISU is no star Brady Earnst who is a program changer at ISU.

Sounds like both Iowa and Iowa State fans have a lot to be excited about and that's fun.

I have nothing more to contribute to this thread. I just can't help but read the title and click on it.:cool:
happy.jpg

I didn't see this posted. SIAP. ESPN's take on the commitment.

Scout's Take: ESPN No. 51 PF Tyler Cook to Iowa

2d

• i
    Paul Biancardi, Basketball Recruiting

Power forward Tyler Cook, No. 51 in the ESPN 100, committed to Iowa over Florida in what was a difficult decision for the four-star player.
"I always felt Iowa was my top school but Florida made this a tougher decision then I thought it would be," Cook said. "I am glad it's over ... I feel 100 pounds lighter."
Here's what the 6-9 240-pounds power forward will bring to the Hawkeyes:
Why he committed: "I felt really close to the Iowa staff, they have made me a priority for the last two years," Cook said. "Coach McCaffery is such a genuine guy both on and off the court. It was a very tough choice between Florida and Iowa, I prayed about it and because I had such a good relationship with Coach McCaffery and the staff, it was the difference."
What he brings:Cook has tightened and toned his body over the years. He's a big, strong, thick powerful forward with outstanding hands who scores inside, frees up his teammates up with massive screens, and rebounds on a consistent basis. Although he is best in the paint he has expanded his game to where he can take opposing big men off the dribble and knock down an open jumper. In any ball screen situation he can pick-and-roll or pop -- that’s the kind of versatility you want as a coach. Defensively, Cook moves his feet to gain position on blockouts, to block a shot or take a charge. Expect Cook to affect the game on both ends of the floor.
How he fits: Cook will utilize his girth in the paint and at the rim, but he gives the Hawkeyes more than just an inside threat. Offensively, McCaffery loves to play at a faster pace fast than most. But when the game slows down you'll see quick hitters/set plays into motion offense. McCaffery has structured sets to get the ball to his best scoring options, then his teams flow into motion concepts with freedom. Defensively, they run a variety of presses back to man-to-man or zone. Cook has an IQ for the game.
"I am a tape junkie. I live to watch the game and players in the game such as LeBron James, Anthony Davis, and DeMarcus Cousins," Cook says.
Cook's high school team, Chaminade College Prep in St. Louis, constantly presses and the power forward plays on the front of his press. Iowa under McCaffrey likes to speed up its opponents, and Cook can slide right to the top of their pressure.
Who he reminds us of: Cook has changed his body, and although he is still thick and strong, he is starting to show more versatility in his offensive production outside the paint. Who better than his high school teammate Jayson Tatum for a comparison, as they face each other every day in practice and play together in the Saint Louis Eagles AAU program.
"He is big powerful presence inside, reminds me of an athletic Elton Brand with great hands but not as long or skilled," Tatum says. "He definitely has the potential to get 15-foot jumpers too."
How the class is shaping up:The Hawkeyes will lose up to five players after next season. They already have a pair of Iowa natives committed in four-star PG Jordan Bohannon and forward Cordell Pemsl With Cook in the mix, this class just got stronger physically and on paper. Iowa could add more or wait and bank a few scholarships for the following year. For his part, Cook will now be trying to help his new team add more talent from Saint Louis.

"I will be helping them [recruit] my AAU team [Saint Louis Eagles[ in 2017 with Jeremiah Tilmon (No. 23 in the ESPN 60) and Jordan Goodwin.

Link

He looks to me like a Doug Thomas type of player with a more polished offensive game. Right down to how he jumps off of two feet and likes to use both hands to dunk with most of the time.

It's hard to expect alot from freshman but I have a feeling he will do some good things for us next year. He is exactly what we need down in the paint. It helps that he has a college body already as a high school senior.

Latest posts