Two other guard transfers this week

iahawk20

A few pretty solid players have deciding to transfer this week as we have seen...2 more below. McHenry seems iffy and I do not know much about Bejareno other than he was a great high school player. I have not researched much beyond the links below so just an FYI of who is out there.

Daniel Bejareno 4* recruit, Arizona will have 3 years to play

Daniel Bejarano 2010 Basketball Recruiting Profile - ESPN

Chris McHenry, Miami-OH, 1 year to play

Chris McHenry Stats, News, Photos - Miami (OH) RedHawks - ESPN

Both of these guys seem like they could be case studies on why you don't want to build a team through transfers. Regarding Bejarano, why would a guy who is unhappy at Arizona, which has great weather, facilities, fans, tradition, a great young coach, and is coming off of a nice tournament run, be any happier somewhere else? Was he not willing to compete for playing time? Was he unhappy that his position was being recruited in future classes? Would any of those things change at another school? He barely played this year and can't play next year-- what is two years without competitive basketball going to do to the kid's game?

Regarding McHenry, I'm really leery of someone who transfers with one year of eligibility remaining. Obviously his career isn't going as expected-- but why not stay and try to persevere, rather than assuming that a change of scenery will make your problems go away? Plus he's only averaging 5 ppg in the MAC-- is this really a Big Ten caliber player, regardless of his recruiting ranking?

Both of these guys seem like they could be case studies on why you don't want to build a team through transfers. Regarding Bejarano, why would a guy who is unhappy at Arizona, which has great weather, facilities, fans, tradition, a great young coach, and is coming off of a nice tournament run, be any happier somewhere else? Was he not willing to compete for playing time? Was he unhappy that his position was being recruited in future classes? Would any of those things change at another school? He barely played this year and can't play next year-- what is two years without competitive basketball going to do to the kid's game?

Regarding McHenry, I'm really leery of someone who transfers with one year of eligibility remaining. Obviously his career isn't going as expected-- but why not stay and try to persevere, rather than assuming that a change of scenery will make your problems go away? Plus he's only averaging 5 ppg in the MAC-- is this really a Big Ten caliber player, regardless of his recruiting ranking?

Bejarano left because his coach told him he no longer has a scholarship for next season. But way to trash the kid without knowing what you are talking about.

How about Ryan Harrow. He was a 5* star PG out of Marietta, GA in the 2010 class. He's transferring out of NC State. He was also Kyle Meyer's AAU teammate on the Atlanta Celtics.

Ryan Harrow - Yahoo! Sports

A PG transfer would not be a bad idea. Actually it is the only position I would be open to a transfer, unless it was an exceptional player. Having a transfer work the scout team, yet still be gaining some chemistry with the overall team, would be huge. They could step right in in 2012.

Nice that Meyer has a contact. That is a foot in the door for the Hawkeyes. Feet in doors are good, better than no feet in doors anyhow.

Bejarano left because his coach told him he no longer has a scholarship for next season. But way to trash the kid without knowing what you are talking about.

From everything I can gather about the situation (I actually live in Tucson for much of the year), that isn't true, and he transferred because he wanted more PT. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong if you have a link or anything.

Regardless, I stand by the points I made about the difficulty of building through transfers. You're looking at a guy that will have had very little competitive on-court experience for two years by the time he is eligible. It has to be tough to come back from that no matter how talented you are.

Always thought that if players get their schollies pulled they should be automatically eligible to play when transferring. Really does seem to qualify as hardship.

Always thought that if players get their schollies pulled they should be automatically eligible to play when transferring. Really does seem to qualify as hardship.
That would be the right thing to do. But the NCAA is not interested in doing the right thing.

I've always thought that if the players can't back out of their scholarship at will, then the schools shouldn't be able to pull them. It's a year-to-year "commitment" for the schools, and a 4-year enlistment for the player. Completely unfair.

I've always thought that if the players can't back out of their scholarship at will, then the schools shouldn't be able to pull them. It's a year-to-year "commitment" for the schools, and a 4-year enlistment for the player. Completely unfair.

It goes both ways. Leans towards the players really. It is a semester to semester thing for the players, it actually isn't even that. A player can transfer at the semester... Or mid-semester. You can look at Luke Recker, he was a mid-year transfer... Although his dad did have to pay in-state tuition. He could have went to another school and received a scholarship. Cully Payne, gone with 2 years of his commitment uncompleted.
Plenty of of players do it. The university has a full year commitment at least. Usually more than that. Look at DJK he is still receiving a scholarship to finish his degree.... What I don't like is when a new coach comes in and boots players. Totally uncool. It basically happened to Tony Freeman, but that was because Lackluster was a fool. Sorry Todd, but Lil Lick does not equal Tony Freeman.

Last edited:
From everything I can gather about the situation (I actually live in Tucson for much of the year), that isn't true, and he transferred because he wanted more PT. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong if you have a link or anything.

Regardless, I stand by the points I made about the difficulty of building through transfers. You're looking at a guy that will have had very little competitive on-court experience for two years by the time he is eligible. It has to be tough to come back from that no matter how talented you are.

This is as good as I can do for you as I read it on his blog awhile ago where he talks about Bejarano.

Ballin' is a Habit

DB transferring was a mutual decision, as he is much too talented to "sit on the bench" but there is a log jam of talent at his position. Olive if you knew anything from your living in Tucson you would know that DB is a quality ( both in talent and character) kid and Iowa would be lucky to have him. This has developed since Arizona landed a top five recruiting class for 2011, and there are no hard feelings from any side as far as I have heard. I will say that its pretty likely that DB stays close to home (west) anyways.

Edit: Here is a link from a great free site that a lot of Arizona fans use that is very close to the situation and is extremely credible.

http://www.pointguardu.com/f2/daniel-bejarano-transfer-arizona-58464/

Last edited:

Latest posts