Twilight Zone at RB

hawkIhoops

We are playing to win, but not playing a serious difference maker at the RB spot? Not red shirting him, just running Coker's legs off and wasting McCall's freshman year. As much as I like / respect KF, quotes like these make me question whether his teams ever reach their true potential. With Michigan's line gassed late in the game, McCall would have been a great change of pace back to throw in there.

Q. As you move along and have a chance maybe to red shirt Mika'il, does it become a more difficult decision at all?
COACH FERENTZ: No not at all. We're playing to win right now. The decision has been made.

Q. How is he coming along?
COACH FERENTZ: He's doing good. The problem last week was not Mikha'il, it was the head coach; the head coach needs a push, so I'm working on it.

Q. Do you need somebody, Ken, to tell you?
COACH FERENTZ: No, we said it during the week, I said it during the week, and then I guess I must have changed my mind. But it has nothing to do with Mika'il or anybody else, it's just me, I've got to get over it and we've got to go. He's a good player.

He admitted to making a mistake, what more do you want? I think we will see more of McCall this week.

That's actually one of the most honest quotes i have heard from Ferentz. I like that he realizes his mistake and it gives me confidence that he plans to do something about it

That's actually one of the most honest quotes i have heard from Ferentz. I like that he realizes his mistake and it gives me confidence that he plans to do something about it

You notice he has been working on clock management as well. Yep, he is admitting and correcting or atleast trying to.

You can tell that his mind is running circles with this. He wants to put him in, but a series rolls around and they are backed up so he doesn't want to risk it. Then they have good field position, and he doesn't want to waste it. Then it is getting later and every drive and every play is crucial so he doesn't want to take that chance.

I think this week it will actually be game planned that on this series, McCall goes in. The injury and missed time kept him from doing that the whole season.

I agree. It really is funny with KF. His candor just comes off as so different after a win than after a loss.

But really if we look at his comments they have an amazing consistency. Take for instance the onside kick at Minny. KF's response was "I'll take that one." That comment threw us all in a tizzy, but it was pretty much the same as this one.

Ferentz has a conflict. On the one hand he sees the potential of McCall and wants to protect him and save him for the future.

On the other hand, we are squarely in the race for the Rose Bowl so the time is now. I think you'll see him Saturday and in the final two games. I also expect him to play in the bowl game. He is a great change of pace in the 4th quarter, so why not play him?

Ferentz has a conflict. On the one hand he sees the potential of McCall and wants to protect him and save him for the future.

On the other hand, we are squarely in the race for the Rose Bowl so the time is now. I think you'll see him Saturday and in the final two games. I also expect him to play in the bowl game. He is a great change of pace in the 4th quarter, so why not play him?

I think the conflict is more about seeing his potential and pulling the trigger to trust putting a player out there who hasn't had game reps because he might make a mistake.

It has nothing to do with saving him for later. He is deathly afraid that if he does anything out of the norm it will bite him in the a**

Kirk has the best RB in the Big Ten in Coker, so it's tough to just throw another back in there. Was hoping to see McCall in there too, but there weren't a lot of "here it is" spots. The only time I thought of it was when I thought I could use a homerun run and that's when Iowa moved the ball well and Coker ran in untouched from 13 yards... so it worked out anyway.

we pull coker and there will be 4311 people on HN that say "why on earth do you pull Coker when he is doing well for an unproven, just recovered back". We pull coker and put him in and he gets reinjured and 3241 people on HN say "coker was doing just fine and we put in mm and reinjur hime, should have given him more time". Coker was doing just fine, mm will get plays... I wont fault our coach for playing the leading back in the big 10 and 5th nationally, i want him in as much as possible.

we pull coker and there will be 4311 people on HN that say "why on earth do you pull Coker when he is doing well for an unproven, just recovered back". We pull coker and put him in and he gets reinjured and 3241 people on HN say "coker was doing just fine and we put in mm and reinjur hime, should have given him more time". Coker was doing just fine, mm will get plays... I wont fault our coach for playing the leading back in the big 10 and 5th nationally, i want him in as much as possible.

Yeah I say if you want to give McCall a shot, do it before anyone scores. Then go from there.

I say you do it AFTER the outcome is known, we play to win, lets have the best back in the big 10 in the game as much as possible. Im not planning for next year until we win this year...

Are people saying he is the best back because he is leading the big ten in yards? He is definitely one of the best but our line has been opening up some huge holes for him that a faster back might score on. Of course on the runs where the line doesn't open up holes he gets 3 yards where another back might get stopped for no gain. Mccall showed some great things before he got hurt. Its not that he should get carries because coker is not doing good. He should get carries so that coker is more fresh late in the game

McCall is not what I would call a change of pace 4th quarter back. Hes 6' 215. Thats bigger than most backs in the conference. Plenty capable of pounding the rock in his own right.

I think the time to put him in is early and see how he does, if he doesn't produce you have plenty of time to recover.

Adam Robinsons head still hurts from this thread. Sam Brownlee thinks there is no need for a backup plan. Luckily Greene just helped me load up my new couch. Hope Im not looking at stars next with Coker.

I just think last week there happened to be no perfect spot to spell Marcus. The week before vs Minny,after he ripped off a 51 yard gain,and was gassed,that is the perfect time to put in McCall. But he was not ready yet,and Johnson got the call and he was stuffed in two runs and Iowa missed a fg,and that drive was wasted.

That works on KF's mind,I am sure. This week, I suspect that after Marcus totes the ball a few times,and might need a blow,then McCall will get in there.

One thing....McCall has committed to MSU,then de-committed and came to Iowa,and I suspect that the MSU staff and players remember that. So,they might be really gunning for him. This game will be so tight,I am not sure I even trust McCall not to fumble the ball. If Marcus is ripping off another 150 yard game,not sure I want him out of there much at all. Marcus is in a great groove right now,and McCall has not carried the rock in game action all year,outside of 7 carries over two months ago.

All I know is that if McCall gets in there,and fumbles the ball away or goes the wrong way, I want this OP to come on here and blame himself,not KF....rightttt....

McCall has what? 7 carries on the season from 8 weeks ago and is just coming off a pretty serious injury. Iowa is in a dogfight with the winningest football program in college football history. Yeah, I can see being reluctant and selective when to use him.

on the flip-side, dang right I want to see McCall get some carries! ;)

Latest posts