Tweet about Ferentz Contract

Is it possible that KF wants to get fired?

The way this contract works, the best position Kirk can be in is fired by Iowa and employed by a different university.

My wife asked the same question. It definitely doesn't provide much incentive to win or actually try to keep his job.

My opinion is Barta hasn't earned the right to fire Ferentz. Of course he has it, but really doesn't in a practical sense.

Ferentz was in place before he arrived, provided cover for him when other decisions Barta made went south-fast.

Ferentz and his success on the field, along with Foundation staff, raised the money for Kinnick renovations, and the new complex, not Barta.

Obviously others will have different opinions, especially the posters that use cute nicknames for our current staff, but mine is : Ferentz deserves to operate out of the new digs he envisioned, fought for, pushed for, raised money for. ... Essentially built....at least for one year.. Despite the malaise, he has earned this opportunity in my opinion.

If we/you/institution wants movement it should considering dismissal of the AD who presented that contract and produced few titles under his watch. That is the politically savvy move, and the more pragmatic move. Canning what will likely be CFBHOF coach(yes, hard to imagine now, but he will be seriously considered), and giving the hire to a poor preforming AD is a no win for the institution or the AD. People will fondly remember KF as soon as he is gone.

The new AD after they are hired is one year closer to end of the crazy contract, has one year of evaluating KF, getting to know the state, program, institution.

It gives a coach who has won multiple COY awards, in top Ten of B1G wins ever, led a team to lots of bowl games, created lots of memories, led facility upgrades that will serve all of us for years, given back very generously to the community, institution, etc. one last chance at leaving on his terms, in a way we all hoped for at one point in time.

There is a piece of many of us that would love to see KF have a solid upward run these next couple of years. There is also doubt. In either case a new AD has the flexibility to bring in their own person, or ride it if things go in a better direction after their first year on the job.

Barta, in my opinion doesn't have the same flexibility.... No professional capital to get rid of KF or hire his replacement

Some well thought out points but the reality is we do not have any more time to be sentimental regardless of Barta. He is a man on the clock as well. What good will all of this have done if we end up right back in the spot KF started, 1-11.

These past 2 seasons were his chance to get a 9-10 win season given personnel and a manageable schedule to prove that he could manage the final years of this contract. The wins were there for the taking.

Last, do not underscore the fan base support in all of this. That support made all of this possible as well. Money, crowds, lifetime contracts, etc.

The recruiting is as troubling as anything. We are now in the 50-60's in rankings for the past 2 classes. Keep in mind there are 50-55 Power 5 and major independents. Jon already posted stars that our average recruiting ranking of 42 over a notable period of time netted a wins ranking almost identical to that rank while Wisky was 11 with similar recruiting rankings. This is scary and there has been ZERO sense of urgency from KF to address this or even acknowledge it. He would prefer to fill our entire two deeps with walk-ons at this point. That is incompetence.

KF has put this program in this position that a change needs to happen. Barta and the fans did not do this.

Some well thought out points but the reality is we do not have any more time to be sentimental regardless of Barta. He is a man on the clock as well. What good will all of this have done if we end up right back in the spot KF started, 1-11.

These past 2 seasons were his chance to get a 9-10 win season given personnel and a manageable schedule to prove that he could manage the final years of this contract. The wins were there for the taking.

Last, do not underscore the fan base support in all of this. That support made all of this possible as well. Money, crowds, lifetime contracts, etc.

The recruiting is as troubling as anything. We are now in the 50-60's in rankings for the past 2 classes. Keep in mind there are 50-55 Power 5 and major independents. Jon already posted stars that our average recruiting ranking of 42 over a notable period of time netted a wins ranking almost identical to that rank while Wisky was 11 with similar recruiting rankings. This is scary and there has been ZERO sense of urgency from KF to address this or even acknowledge it. He would prefer to fill our entire two deeps with walk-ons at this point. That is incompetence.

KF has put this program in this position that a change needs to happen. Barta and the fans did not do this.

I'm pragmatic by nature. I stand by my points. I don't believe Barta had the political capital to move. Attrition is the bane to the Ferentz/Iowa process. I think he has as good of a shot to turn things next year as he did this year. Time is to get an AD in place that will have the ability to Fire/then Hire if needed. Barta, is stuck.... He doesn't have the first part in his corner.... He can only hope and pray there is a rebound in a big way next year.

Move on the AD is the methodical, not rash way to work through this

Last edited:
My wife asked the same question. It definitely doesn't provide much incentive to win or actually try to keep his job.

Exactly. Think of it this way:

Ferentz is actually losing money every day he is employed by the University of Iowa, because that money is coming regardless, and he is missing out on the opportunity to earn income from a second source. Whatever else might motivate Kirk, financially he is harmed by winning and retaining his job.

It also means that the soft exit is very unlikely. It's against Kirk's interest for this to end in any way besides Iowa removing him in the next year or two.

My opinion is Barta hasn't earned the right to fire Ferentz. Of course he has it, but really doesn't in a practical sense.

Ferentz was in place before he arrived, provided cover for him when other decisions Barta made went south-fast.

Ferentz and his success on the field, along with Foundation staff, raised the money for Kinnick renovations, and the new complex, not Barta.

Obviously others will have different opinions, especially the posters that use cute nicknames for our current staff, but mine is : Ferentz deserves to operate out of the new digs he envisioned, fought for, pushed for, raised money for. ... Essentially built....at least for one year.. Despite the malaise, he has earned this opportunity in my opinion.

If we/you/institution wants movement it should considering dismissal of the AD who presented that contract and produced few titles under his watch. That is the politically savvy move, and the more pragmatic move. Canning what will likely be CFBHOF coach(yes, hard to imagine now, but he will be seriously considered), and giving the hire to a poor preforming AD is a no win for the institution or the AD. People will fondly remember KF as soon as he is gone.

The new AD after they are hired is one year closer to end of the crazy contract, has one year of evaluating KF, getting to know the state, program, institution.

It gives a coach who has won multiple COY awards, in top Ten of B1G wins ever, led a team to lots of bowl games, created lots of memories, led facility upgrades that will serve all of us for years, given back very generously to the community, institution, etc. one last chance at leaving on his terms, in a way we all hoped for at one point in time.

There is a piece of many of us that would love to see KF have a solid upward run these next couple of years. There is also doubt. In either case a new AD has the flexibility to bring in their own person, or ride it if things go in a better direction after their first year on the job.

Barta, in my opinion doesn't have the same flexibility.... No professional capital to get rid of KF or hire his replacement

What Barta lacks isn't "professional capital". What he lacks is a backbone.

I don't give a damn what Barta has done for Iowa as far as raising $$$$ from fat cat donors or the fleecing of Iowa fans to watch this crap we have become accustomed to called kfootball. What burns me is the golden parachute he gave KF. For that alone,he deserves the hall of fame for stupidity and needs to be fired and ran out of our state....unless its to ISU as their AD.

Could it be you don't want KF to leave . . .

. . . ever?

No. I don't think Barta has the capital to pull a trigger, I don't think he has the trust of those of us that give more than our seat license to make the hire, I don't think you get the strongest candidates with a lame-duck AD.

What you saw in Michigan was highly unusual. Highly unusual and very unique.

I will always pull for the leader of our team to be successful - so, yes I wanted our team to win more than 7 this, I will want better next year too. However, i do believe the critique from the echo chamber that exists is mean spirited, bi-polar, and very unappealing.... And not as nearly as constructive or influential as some think.

No. I don't think Barta has the capital to pull a trigger, I don't think he has the trust of those of us that give more than our seat license to make the hire, I don't think you get the strongest candidates with a lame-duck AD.

I will always pull for the leader of our team to be successful - so, yes I wanted our team to win more than 7 this, I will want better next year too. However, i do believe the critique from the echo chamber that exists is mean spirited, bi-polar, and very unappealing.... And not as nearly as constructive or influential as some think.

A simple yes would've sufficed.

Last edited by a moderator:

It comes down to how loud is the buzz and pressure with the biggest contributors, that determines Kirk's destiny.

The fact is almost anyone would become a fat cat with that contract. There's no incentive to keep from getting fired and not much to win. The only real incentive is to not breach the contract. Maybe that's why KF doesn't deal with any player that might be a problem. It's too inconvenient for him and there's nothing for him to gain from the headache.

Fire Barta and bring in someone to act like KF's boss, someone with a lot of football knowledge. I still think KF has to listen to the AD or he could be in breach of his contract, I'm guessing.
I vote for Bobby Beathard!

The only way in which Barta might not have the capital to fire Ferentz is that he may have to follow Ferentz out the back door. It's got nothing to do with what Ferentz has accomplished in the past for the university, and everything to do with whether or not Barta can weather firing his third coach in football and men's basketball, with the jury still out on his current MBB coach.

Barta's best chance to keep his job for more than another year or two is to fire Ferentz ASAP. Cause it's pretty damn unlikely that things are going to improve in any meaningful way by then, and if he waits that long, he's definitely not going to make the next hire.

This is a well thought out response and I agree with you. Unfortunately, we may be in the minority in this type of thinking.

Barry Alvarez would be perfect for our situation but I'm not sure he'd come back to Iowa. Maybe if we'd pay him more than Wiscy. It would be cheaper than firing KF. He'd be around just long enough to make KF's life uncomfortable and hire the next coach. If not Alvarez, someone exactly like that.

He would be perfect,so would Bill Snyder,but there is no way in hell either of them are ever coming back. They are saints at their institutions.

It's how Mike Shanahan got an extra $7 million out of Dan Snyder.

Isn't that the irony. Either way KF makes out like a bandit. He can drive this program right into the ground laughing all the way to the bank. If fired,get another job and we are still on the hook for his buyout. This is absolutley bonker bqt **** insane what Barta did!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was well thought out and I agree with Cecil, but only to a point...Barta needs to be replaced first. Not only for what's at stake with our next hire, but for the lack of having none of our athletic programs winning titles of any kind in years. Last in the B1G in conference titles won...sad, sad...nonetheless, after Barta is replaced, I understand your desire to allow KF to sit in a new comfy, corner office that he saw get built and may have had an indirect hand in building, but that is not why he was hired, and I'm sure he can find a nice one somewhere else, or build an identical one in his home.

I understand the plausibility for a new AD to sit back and analyze for a year, but IMO, that should have been done last year. Do we really think the on field product will improve next year over this year? Because that is what I thought for the past 4 years...and we know how that has played out, with now no upside possibility as recruiting is/has become a byproduct of on field results. This in turn has not only become unfair to the fans, but to the players themselves as well.

The new AD "could" wait and see what next year brings, BUT, why wait and waste another year if it is already abundantly clear what we will see (see records for past 10 years; see top 25 rankings for last 4 years; see record vs ISU; etc). The only reason for waiting would be the time it takes to line up the pieces and pre-arrange the potential new hire in order to get the right coach.

The University Athletic dept has a program that ranks in the TOP 15 for money, and until a few years ago, a program that was respected on the field, and one that was relevant across the country when talking about successful football programs. However, as most know, those 3 issues were not handed to us, nor developed overnight. They have built a program that has had kids and potential players and fans growing up respecting and following Iowa, and the success has perpetuated itself...until recently. No way is it even close to the same as it was 5 years ago, and definitely not 10 years ago. Kids today have almost all but forgotten the "successful" Hawkeye program that we have grown to love and appreciate from the past. 18 year olds were 8 when Tate-to-Holloway happened. What will that fondness and respect be like in 2 or 3 years with more of the same underachieving results?

In fact, even with a change at the helm now, it could be 2-4 years before the program is rebuilt to a respected solid Top 25 program. Imagine what it will take to rebuild with 2 or more years of the same lackluster results, and a lame duck coach (very doubtful he makes it to 2020 in any scenario), an apathetic fanbase, and the build out lead time of a new hire. We could easily be into 8-10 years without seeing a sniff of a Top 20 ranking, a sellout prime-time game, yet alone a conference title!

If we are going to go to the trouble and expense of a contract buyout, then there is no point in waiting...the need to keep our program on the map and radars of teens with a vibrant program and our first class facilities is paramount, and far outweighs the downside potential for long term damage by waiting. Show Barta the door immediately, and bring in a strong AD to handle the transition. But IMO, I think that 2nd step has to happen shortly there after, not after another year of slipping into the abyss of apathy! Imagine the excitement and enthusiasm across the gamut with a whole new regime in place for 2015 or 2016!

GoHawks!!

Latest posts