Tweek the lineup!

HawkI4eva

Just a bit. Just one quick change please. I would really like to see Cartwright come off the bench and insert Basebe back into the starting role. We really need a point to come off the bench. More minutes usually means more turnovers for Cartwright. I like the way Basabe has been playing and feel he has earned his way back. I'm not hating on Cartwright but he's just so erratic where Marble pushes the ball but stays under control. I'd be ok if the lineup changed after the PSU game though since Cartwright did play pretty good defense against Frazier. Sounds like Fran was trying different lineups in practice maybe it will happen.

I would like to see more Oglesby at the point when Cartwright struggles. At least with Oglesby on the floor we have someone other than Gatens capable of making the D pay for doubling guys. Second choice would be more Olaseni. We truly aren't playing for anything at this point, so put the kid and see what he can do.

Double H, enough with the outcry for more Gabe. We have seen what he can do. It isn't enough to merit more time at this point.

they are still in it for a post season Tourney, its not like they are 6 games under .500.
win out they end up 19-12 overall and 11-7 in conference. so they are still playing for something, not to mention a solid shot at 5th in the final standings,
going fro 11-20 and 4-14 in conference in 10th place, to end in Fran's 2nd season would be huge, so i wouldn't say they are playing for nothing

Last edited:
We truly aren't playing for anything at this point, so put the kid and see what he can do.

Tell that to Gatens.

What a stupid thing to say. You **** and moan about people posting sarcastic comments on here and not being serious enough about posting in these forums and then you post that garbage? Cool.

actually the call for more Gabe would be good, i'd like to see him get 7-8 minutes a game. at least 2-3 minutes per half, it can only help him develope and not hurt the team

The Hawks just beat this PSU team with Bryce starting. If you look at their lineup, they are small,but quick with Frazier and Marshall their top guys.

Fran is frustrated with Bryces defense,like all of us. He needs to step up and accept the challenge of guarding Frazier,who leads the league in scoring in Big Ten games.
We will use Devyn on him also,but he also struggles on defense at times.

If they start Oliver,their 3 point shooting center, I think McCabe matches up better.
I think Mel has earned a start,but this is just not a great matchup for him.

PSU is such a different team at home,hard to predict. They are near the bottom in 3pt shooting %,but at home they have shot it a lot better. Woodyard,Frazier,Marshall,Oliver and that Italian Stallion guy off the bench can all get hot at home from the arc. If they miss, we can win.

I think the offense looks better with Marble handling the ball. Bryce hasn't progressed from last year like I thought he would either. Put May back in the starting lineup for defense if he is healthy and go from there.

Tell that to Gatens.

What a stupid thing to say. You **** and moan about people posting sarcastic comments on here and not being serious enough about posting in these forums and then you post that garbage? Cool.

AGREED! The Hawks have a hell of a lot to play for this remaining regular season and if they have some big mo heading into the BIG tournament who knows what could happen!

I would like to see more Oglesby at the point when Cartwright struggles. At least with Oglesby on the floor we have someone other than Gatens capable of making the D pay for doubling guys. Second choice would be more Olaseni. We truly aren't playing for anything at this point, so put the kid and see what he can do.

WOW!

The last time I looked Iowa is still above .500 with at least 7 games remaining. There is a lot they are playing for.

WOW!

The last time I looked Iowa is still above .500 with at least 7 games remaining. There is a lot they are playing for.

And considering we haven't finished above .500 in 5 years that would be a good accomplishment for this program (as sad as that is.) It's definitely worth playing for in my eyes.

The Hawks just beat this PSU team with Bryce starting. If you look at their lineup, they are small,but quick with Frazier and Marshall their top guys.

Fran is frustrated with Bryces defense,like all of us. He needs to step up and accept the challenge of guarding Frazier,who leads the league in scoring in Big Ten games.
We will use Devyn on him also,but he also struggles on defense at times.

If they start Oliver,their 3 point shooting center, I think McCabe matches up better.
I think Mel has earned a start,but this is just not a great matchup for him.

PSU is such a different team at home,hard to predict. They are near the bottom in 3pt shooting %,but at home they have shot it a lot better. Woodyard,Frazier,Marshall,Oliver and that Italian Stallion guy off the bench can all get hot at home from the arc. If they miss, we can win.
Oliver won't be playing. Too bad for the kid.

Penn State’s Oliver Ends Playing Career « Big Ten Network

Playing for nothing? Are you ******* kidding me? If this team has a chance to get to ANY of the post season tournaments, that's 1000x better than where we were last year.

they are still in it for a post season Tourney, its not like they are 6 games under .500.
win out they end up 19-12 overall and 11-7 in conference. so they are still playing for something, not to mention a solid shot at 5th in the final standings,
going fro 11-20 and 4-14 in conference in 10th place, to end in Fran's 2nd season would be huge, so i wouldn't say they are playing for nothing

That's a very tall order to say the least but it can be done.

Last edited:
Changing the starting lineup at this point...

Just a bit. Just one quick change please. I would really like to see Cartwright come off the bench and insert Basebe back into the starting role. We really need a point to come off the bench. More minutes usually means more turnovers for Cartwright. I like the way Basabe has been playing and feel he has earned his way back. I'm not hating on Cartwright but he's just so erratic where Marble pushes the ball but stays under control. I'd be ok if the lineup changed after the PSU game though since Cartwright did play pretty good defense against Frazier. Sounds like Fran was trying different lineups in practice maybe it will happen.

really isn't going to do a whole lot. You could put Basabe in for either McCabe or White, but Basabe, White and McCabe splitting up the 80 minutes between the 2 post spots is fine. Play whomever is playing well that game or not in foul trouble.

Playing Basabe, McCabe and White on the floor at the same time is asking for disaster on the defensive end. None of those guys is really capable of guarding a good perimeter player, or for being forced to handle the ball a lot against a good perimeter defender.

Marble, Gatens and Cartwright are clearly our best 3 perimeter players, even with Cartwright's inconsistency this year. Oglesby has shown flashes but he is a one-trick pony at this point by being a shooter. He should continue to get minutes every game. The minutes he's getting this year will pay dividends next year.

The defensive shortcomings of this team are disheartening, but for the most part they are giving effort. They just are not very big or very quick. That is a deadly combination when trying to defend. Both of those things will start to be addressed next year.

i will disagree to a point, when you have three players 6'7 at the guard, and 6'7, 6'8 at the forward spots, that's not that short that's a pretty big middle group you are looking at, again that group needs a solid 6'10 to 7'1 center and a steady point guard
if you watch McCabe is hitting 45% of his 3's, Marble is hitting 32% and White is hitting 30.8%, they may not be shooting a lot of them but they are hitting them, i will take a player that is selective in when he shoots a 3, knowing a kid can hit a 3 is actually more dangerous that one that puts up 5 or more a game, it makes the pump fake a more respected part of the offense

Last edited:
I play more Gabe based on what I've seen his is no more a liablility than anyone else we have to put out at the position to back up. His redshirt is burned. We are still playing for something, and I think hs PT could only help us.

I play more Gabe based on what I've seen his is no more a liablility than anyone else we have to put out at the position to back up. His redshirt is burned. We are still playing for something, and I think hs PT could only help us.

Do you not think Fran knows his players? If he thought he would help us win he would be playing more.

PG Marble
Wing Gatens
Wing White
PF Basabe
C McCabe

I agree with the OP that Cartwright should be coming off the bench but its primarily due to the fact that we have two PGs on the team (marble and cartwright). Marble is clearly playing better than Cartwright so he would get the nod.

Oglesby is a freshman playing behind a sr (Gatens). Next year Oglesby will slot into that position quite nicely and have a solid year under his belt. Gatens has more experience and that is about it when compared to Oglesby.

White, Gatens, Marble, Basabe and McCabe (in order) average the most pts per minute. They are clearly your best five so find a way to get them on the floor together without sacrificing.

Here is a newsflash for you: Gabe isn't that good (yet) and its pretty obvious to the rest of the basketball world.

Latest posts