Tweek the lineup!

Re: Changing the starting lineup at this point...

really isn't going to do a whole lot. You could put Basabe in for either McCabe or White, but Basabe, White and McCabe splitting up the 80 minutes between the 2 post spots is fine. Play whomever is playing well that game or not in foul trouble.

Playing Basabe, McCabe and White on the floor at the same time is asking for disaster on the defensive end. None of those guys is really capable of guarding a good perimeter player, or for being forced to handle the ball a lot against a good perimeter defender.

Marble, Gatens and Cartwright are clearly our best 3 perimeter players, even with Cartwright's inconsistency this year. Oglesby has shown flashes but he is a one-trick pony at this point by being a shooter. He should continue to get minutes every game. The minutes he's getting this year will pay dividends next year.

The defensive shortcomings of this team are disheartening, but for the most part they are giving effort. They just are not very big or very quick. That is a deadly combination when trying to defend. Both of those things will start to be addressed next year.

I agree 100%. The defense has been bad enough without playing 3 post players, doing so would be a disaster. If you are going to start Basabe you have to sit down a post, no way that's White, so you would be looking at switching out McCabe. If Basabe is truly working hard and giving maximum effort every day I would do it, but we have been fooled before.

Tell that to Gatens.

What a stupid thing to say. You **** and moan about people posting sarcastic comments on here and not being serious enough about posting in these forums and then you post that garbage? Cool.

So tell me, what fantasy world do you live in? We are somehow going to turn on the jets and beat NW, IU, IL, WI, NE and PSU to put a 6 game run together to make the dance? Is that your line of thinking? If so, I commed your optimism, but question your basketball IQ.

An NIT bid is possible and has absolutely nothing to do with whether Olaseni gets two minutes per half or Brommer and or Archie get those 2 minutes. It is about playing a guy with a future here, not seniors who have underperformed. One of these days you and Sioux will figure this out.

I comment on basketball content...agree or disagree.

Do you not think Fran knows his players? If he thought he would help us win he would be playing more.

My point is that Archie and Brommer aren't helping us and in the few minutes that McCaffrey slides one of these guys in, I would rather see Olaseni because he is not a senior. Any PT this kid gets will only help down the road.

So tell me, what fantasy world do you live in? We are somehow going to turn on the jets and beat NW, IU, IL, WI, NE and PSU to put a 6 game run together to make the dance? Is that your line of thinking? If so, I commed your optimism, but question your basketball IQ.

An NIT bid is possible and has absolutely nothing to do with whether Olaseni gets two minutes per half or Brommer and or Archie get those 2 minutes. It is about playing a guy with a future here, not seniors who have underperformed. One of these days you and Sioux will figure this out.

I comment on basketball content...agree or disagree.

Never said we were going to run the table and make the big dance. Any postseason tourney is something to play for at this point for the program.

Agree you comment on basketball, but that doesn't mean you know what the hell you are talking about.

Double HH, we have seen Gabe play. He isn't as good as Brommer or Archie at this point in his development despite what you think. The Hawks are playing for a post season bid. Playing Gabe does not give them the best chance to win games this year. Fran would play him more if he thought it would help the team win. Why can't you see that?

player get better the more they play, you don't get experience sitting
and i don't think getting 2-3 minutes a half is going to hurt this teams chances to win
not only are they trying to win, but they are building for the future, then you also help the kid grow in confidence by letting him play, as long as he knows in advanve that the minutes are going to be limited to short periods, when he comes out he won't feel like he did something wrong and get down on himself and he feels he has contributed to the team rather than being a cheer leader on the bench

Re: Changing the starting lineup at this point...

Actually to this date we have not seen the lineup of Marble, Gatens, White, McCabe and Basabe. And to this date we are last in the B10 in Defense. A bigger lineup could be the needed element that was missing to defending the 3. It is a very tough thing to shoot threes consistantly over a taller person flying in your face. I guess I have the confidence in McCabe or White to do the job. My only concern would be foul trouble and that could lead to disaster. We only have two PG, we need to split their time. Cartwrights TO's can be just as devastating as a defensive breakdown. I just want a post-season and think we can get there with this lineup if they stay out of foul trouble.

Brommer 3 fouls in 54 seconds and Archie did not see the floor against NW. Do you really think Olaseni can do worse than that? God forbid the guy blocks or alters a couple shots, thus saving us giving up two uncontested layups.

I see your points totally.....let's just stick with what hasn't worked. The one game Olaseni got a few minutes (Indiana I think) he scored more points than Brommer and Archie have in their last 10 ten games. I think he had 4 or 5 points that game and blocked / altered two shots. I am talking 2-3 minutes per game (the time given to Brommer and or Archie) not starting the kid.

Plenty of PT available next season (when we should be playing for something) with Woodbury and Meyer ahead of him. If Olaseni is so raw that he doesn't understand basketball at this juncture, then I wonder why McCaffrey a: recruited him or b: didn't red shirt him.

I love how you "experts" call everyone an idiot if they don't agree with you. Keep it up and I look forward to being called more **** names so you can demonstrate your ***** expansive ****** vocabularies. And for the record, herby does not deserve all the grief you guys give him for stating his opinion. I don't always agree, but at least he isn't posting this, chad, ostrich and taking up half the screen with an avatar of Rosie O'Donnell.

Last edited:
I love how you "experts" call everyone an idiot if they don't agree with you. Keep it up and I look forward to being called more **** names so you can demonstrate your ***** expansive ****** vocabularies. And for the record, herby does not deserve all the grief you guys give him for stating his opinion. I don't always agree, but at least he isn't posting this, chad, ostrich and taking up half the screen with an avatar of Rosie O'Donnell.

Feel better?

jeez, who is calling anyone an idiot? Did TylerSash get unbanned or a new screenie?

Heaven forbid any of us have a different opinion. It is in my opinion that there is a damn good reason why Olaseni is ridding the pine. Fran has said over and over he is going to play the ones that give Iowa the best chance to win. Since he is at practice every day and sees what is going on, I am going to believe him. Just because you are 7 foot tall does not automatically make you ready to take on the big men of the B1G.

jeez, who is calling anyone an idiot? Did TylerSash get unbanned or a new screenie?Heaven forbid any of us have a different opinion. It is in my opinion that there is a damn good reason why Olaseni is ridding the pine. Fran has said over and over he is going to play the ones that give Iowa the best chance to win. Since he is at practice every day and sees what is going on, I am going to believe him. Just because you are 7 foot tall does not automatically make you ready to take on the big men of the B1G.

this x10

I have not called you or herby an idiot, but that does not change the fact that you are both wrong.

You guys don't understand. Challenging what a person says is the same thing as calling them an idiot.

You guys don't understand. Challenging what a person says is the same thing as calling them an idiot.

You are completely wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

This is fun, I think I just called bcl an idiot. :D

wait....this means my teenage daughter is calling me an idiot all the time.

Last edited:

Latest posts