Turnovers

longtimer

Didn't see the game last night but I read we had 19 turnovers. Colorado is a mediocre at best team. We wont win many games in conference play if we keep the turning the ball over. Really you need to keep turnovers to 12 or less to have much of a chance against decent teams and we have only done that against some of the lowly teams we have played.
What do you attribute the consistent problem to Youth? Even though we are young we have quite a bit of game experience. Bohanon is only a Soph but he has played a lot. Coaching? well it really all goes back to coaching. But is it the system or players who are just not Mentally disciplined or just not talented enough? Whatever the cause if we don't improve rapidly in ball security we really have little chance to win many more games. A little free throw practice wouldn't hurt either

Players were all trying to do too much and read into the hype about how great of passers they were. That has stopped for the most part. Last night's turnovers seemed different than the rest of the year. It was more sloppy play than trying to do too much. And right now, Cook either scores or turns the ball over every time he touches the ball. That's just something we are probably going to have to live with.

They had only 1-2 TOs in the last 15 minutes (or so) of the game, and they turned a 5 point deficit into a win. Hmm, I sense a pattern here.

Didn't see the game last night but I read we had 19 turnovers. Colorado is a mediocre at best team. We wont win many games in conference play if we keep the turning the ball over. Really you need to keep turnovers to 12 or less to have much of a chance against decent teams and we have only done that against some of the lowly teams we have played.
What do you attribute the consistent problem to Youth? Even though we are young we have quite a bit of game experience. Bohanon is only a Soph but he has played a lot. Coaching? well it really all goes back to coaching. But is it the system or players who are just not Mentally disciplined or just not talented enough? Whatever the cause if we don't improve rapidly in ball security we really have little chance to win many more games. A little free throw practice wouldn't hurt either
Colorado caused most of our turnovers because of their athleticism . They were a lot more athletic than us until Fran made the switch to give Dailey the minutes and the green light . Dailey is one of our most athletic kids and he would be in a lot of coaches starting lineup

Colorado caused most of our turnovers because of their athleticism . They were a lot more athletic than us until Fran made the switch to give Dailey the minutes and the green light . Dailey is one of our most athletic kids and he would be in a lot of coaches starting lineup
He's definitely one of if not the quickest players on the court every game.

For me it appeared a lot of turnovers were due to lack of focus. Also, trying to force passes in tight spots. Colorado's guard quickness didn't help either.
The t.o. Margin kep the Buffaloes closer than it should of been.

He's not a kid.

Turnovers when combined with poor defense doom you in most contests. The defensive issues were clearly evident last year and with basically the same starters in the backcourt, minus Jok...well...you could have foreseen the issues. I will say, the zone is getting better and Fran is working on using our length to defend the three point line. Penetration continues to be the issue though, in man or zone. When the ball moves from side to side, our close outs and lack of top flight athleticism to stop penetration becomes clearly evident.

The turnovers are a head scratcher though. I've never seen a team simply display poor decision making for this long. Every game there are 6-7 passes where you say, "what the hell was he thinking?". I mean, junior high school type of decisions. Against a clearly top flight defender at the guard position, we will struggle unless Fran comes up with a plan of attack to put the ball someone else's hands to start the offense. Is Dailey the guy? Baer? Nunge? All three appear to have handles and with bigger guys guarding them...you would think it may take some of the pressure off. Ellingson is not the answer there.

Does anyone think Iowas head coach is any good?

I think he’s pretty good. He’s lead 3 teams to the NCAA tourney and I think his best years at Iowa are still ahead of him.

I’m excited about the idea of Baer, Cook, JBo, Moss, Dailey, Nunge, Garza, and Connor all a year older along with Weiskamp. Hopefully we still have Ellingson Wagner, and Kriener in the program. I’m good with these guys being able to step in if there is an injury.

I really believe that’s going to be a very good team. I expect to not only earn a bid but at least win 1st round with that roster and higher expectations the following year.

Which really hasn’t changed from the beginning of the year. I think we certainly needed a healthy Vaer and Connor earlier in the year. Unfortunately it took some time but the rotations have worked themselves out. Less Wagner, Ellingson and probably Kriener.

Turnovers = lack of fundamentals, lack of speed, an opponent that makes up for lack of talent by using quickness to create chaos.

Last edited:
Turnovers = lack of fundamentals, lack ov speed, an opponent that makes up for lavk of talent by using quickness to create chaos.

Gotta throw common sense and lack of visual awareness in there also

So many turnovers were caused by simply throwing the ball directly to an opponent.....

One thing is that we could/should have won the three 18 turnover games. Played them to the end. Control the turnovers just a little and we win those games.....

Simply value the ball like your life depends on it and we will be competitive.....

:cool:

Latest posts