Tucker's scholly BETTER go to a JUCO guard!

Burky, I agree with you. This is what I posted on TOS:

I guess I see this as a positive. Tucker has not fulfilled his end of the deal. I was worried that Lick would take a third chance on him and then get stung in the end.

I will not be happy if Lick banks this scholarship. He has to get the best available player--preferably a strong, athletic guard--there is no margin for error in the Lick regime at this time.

If Cully got hurt next year, are we looking Brust at pg and John L, as back up again? I don't think that is a chance Lick can take.

It was obvious to me we need to go get a backup pg....juco or otherwise but then I began to think....

We are bringing in 3 players next year who have played some pg for their hs teams....Marble, Brust, and McCabe. I am not sure Coach feels we need to get a pg.

It was obvious to me we need to go get a backup pg....juco or otherwise but then I began to think....

We are bringing in 3 players next year who have played some pg for their hs teams....Marble, Brust, and McCabe. I am not sure Coach feels we need to get a pg.

Interesting, do you feel we need another pg? What position do you think Lick would address? Post?

FWIW Lick describes McCabe as a point forward who can penetrate from the four. I don't think he would ever imagine putting him in as a pg tho.

Interesting, do you feel we need another pg? What position do you think Lick would address? Post?

FWIW Lick describes McCabe as a point forward who can penetrate from the four. I don't think he would ever imagine putting him in as a pg tho.

Anthony Tucker could "play pg" but he was far from bering a good pg. I think it would be absolutely crazy to rely on 3 freshman to run the point. We see how much Cully struggles and he is a "true pg", I think it would serve the program greatly to find true PG to come in and compete with Cully.

This is year 4 and it's not like Lick is going to automatically get 4 more years to build the program. He really needs a difference making player who can consistently penetrate, who knows maybe Brust or Marble can do this, but one certain thing is not one single player on the current team can do this. I would rather not bank on one of the three freshmen coming in and providing this.

Exactly. It would be a mistake of epic proportions to bank this scholly. There are players out there at PG that can help us next season. Our staff needs to work their butt off and go out and haul one in. This is an absolute must for next season.

You guys might think I'm sounding overly dramatic. But I really think Lick's future rests solely on this scholly. He doesn't need a program changer. But he needs a true PG. He has a chance to turn a negative situation into a positive(regarding Tuck). He needs to deliver.

Totally agree. Payne has a broken vertabrae that will never heal. He could go down for the season next year anytime he hits the floor...he did last year as a HS senior. Lick cannot gamble that he will stay healthy or that some true frosh who are not natural pgs can fill in vs the tremendous pgs that they would face in the Big Ten next year.

Lick's job is at stake in 2011. He must pull out all stops to make a tourny or having banked another scholly for 2012 will not matter to him...only the next coach. Save yourself,Lick!! Recruit another pg for next year like your job depends on it..because it probably does.

Exactly. It would be a mistake of epic proportions to bank this scholly. There are players out there at PG that can help us next season. Our staff needs to work their butt off and go out and haul one in. This is an absolute must for next season.

You guys might think I'm sounding overly dramatic. But I really think Lick's future rests solely on this scholly. He doesn't need a program changer. But he needs a true PG. He has a chance to turn a negative situation into a positive(regarding Tuck). He needs to deliver.

No doubt, burky.
Next season will define Lick's tenure at Iowa - that 2010 class will make or break him. And now that this schollie is open, it's even more of an opportunity to succeed/fail. It's huge.

Anthony Tucker could "play pg" but he was far from bering a good pg. I think it would be absolutely crazy to rely on 3 freshman to run the point. We see how much Cully struggles and he is a "true pg", I think it would serve the program greatly to find true PG to come in and compete with Cully.

This is year 4 and it's not like Lick is going to automatically get 4 more years to build the program. He really needs a difference making player who can consistently penetrate, who knows maybe Brust or Marble can do this, but one certain thing is not one single player on the current team can do this. I would rather not bank on one of the three freshmen coming in and providing this.

I agree and while I would be fine with a freshman true pg I wouldn't mind a JUCO with experience that can contribute immediately for the reasons you mentioned. I personally would be greatly disappointed if we did not get a pg.