Tucker wants to stay @ Iowa...

I'd say let him come back as a non-scholly player. That way his can be used for someone else.

And this would be a very bad idea. The kid has made his bed. I heard last week that if this happened, that may ensure that some of the young kids leave

gatens and Tucker are roommates and close. I have heard there are strong cliques on this team and that the gatens/Tucker clique is not a popular one

it's a bad idea and I'd rather not see it happen. Tucker has had his chances here, many of them.

Like I said in the thread that I previously started. It would be a complete embarassment.

Would almost make multiple members of the team leave.

Substitue alcohol for rape and the name Tucker for Pierce and the pattern becomes familar. And no, I'm not equating alcohol abuse with sexual abuse.

And this would be a very bad idea. The kid has made his bed. I heard last week that if this happened, that may ensure that some of the young kids leave

gatens and Tucker are roommates and close. I have heard there are strong cliques on this team and that the gatens/Tucker clique is not a popular one

it's a bad idea and I'd rather not see it happen. Tucker has had his chances here, many of them.

Jon,

This was clearly obvious based on the interviews that the players were giving after our last debacle err game. Clearly Cully Payne wanted Lick to stay. Clearly Cully was speaking for the "freshman" class because he stated as much. Gatens / Tucker / Cole / Fuller or Cully / Brust....which one of these groups would any of you take?

Hell, Brust even sent an email to Barta giving his support to Lick. How is this any different than a player telling Barta that he was going to transfer if the coach was still here? One is expressing support, the other is expressing dismay. They are both valid opinions.

Jon,

Your comment regarding the cliques is bothersome to me.

I understand how teammates get close, especially roommates, but there is no room on a basketball team, especially one as undermanned as Iowa's, to have different cliques in the lockerroom. Granted some players will be closer to each other off the court but on the court there is no room for this.

My question would be: Is this one of the main reasons Coach Lick was unsuccessful? Seems to me that it is the coaching staffs main job to make certain the entire team is on the same page.

Thanks.

I have been saying this along, that if tucker wants to stay at iowa, then the new coach needs to at least talk to him. I am going to run for cover, but i think tucker should come back. As i have been saying all along that school allows 3 strikes before you get the boot. he is only on strike 2. He desrved his punishment, but he served it, and did what was required of him. Lick just continued to rub his nose in it. Lick is gone, and i think tucker should be allowed back now.

Jon,

I understand how teammates get close, especially roommates, but there is no room on a basketball team, especially one as undermanned as Iowa's, to have different cliques in the lockerroom. Granted some players will be closer to each other off the court but on the court there is no room for this.

My question would be: Is this one of the main reasons Coach Lick was unsuccessful? Seems to me that it is the coaching staffs main job to make certain the entire team is on the same page.

Thanks.

It is well known that the current team has many little subgroups. Well 2, Tucker and Gatens, and then the rest of the team.

Like I said in the thread that I previously started. It would be a complete embarassment.

Would almost make multiple members of the team leave.

Multiple like who? Quit throwing hypothetical bs out there. You might get multiple players to transfer once the coach is named regardless of what Tucker does.

Jon,

Thanks.

I would agree - if this truly is the case one of the first thing the new coach needs to do is let everyone on the TEAM know that this is unacceptable. If you can't get over your little juvenile clique then we'll see you on down the road........... grow up boys

many chances? How about 2. I think lick forced him to quit. The guy made 2 bad choices. he served his time for those choices. As long as the school allows 3 strikes, then so should the team. I am not in the know on the cliques on this team, or have inside info like you jon. It will be up to the next coach to build this team into one unit of solid unity. i have caoched soccer teams over the years, i never had a team where all my players were best friends off the field, they all had their cliques, or seperate friendships. But they all came together on the field for one goal! WINS!

You're not?

No, I was pointing out that the University has already tried the let's-give-the young-man-another-chance-afterall-he-is-young-and-just-made-a-mistake approach and it got ugly and embarrassing for the University. Tucker has already been given another chance and he has blown that 2nd chance. I put in the disclaimer in anticipation of someone pointing out that rape & alcoholism are on two differnt levels.

I have been saying this along, that if tucker wants to stay at iowa, then the new coach needs to at least talk to him. I am going to run for cover, but i think tucker should come back. As i have been saying all along that school allows 3 strikes before you get the boot. he is only on strike 2. He desrved his punishment, but he served it, and did what was required of him. Lick just continued to rub his nose in it. Lick is gone, and i think tucker should be allowed back now.

Playing basketball for Iowa is not a right, it's a privledge, and I don't think Tucker should be allowed back. I'm all for second chances, but not THIRD chances. He took his 2nd chance and flushed it. Game over. If I was coach, I would not want him back.

Not to mention, I never was overly impressed with his game, from what little we really got to see. Tucker's 3 pt. percentage wasn't exactly lights out this year, and what else did he really do well? In fact, you could make an argument that Tucker is nearly as 1-dimensional as Bawinkel, except Bawinkel had a higher FG%.

Is Tucker really even worth the baggage that he brings? In my opinion, NO.

No, I was pointing out that the University has already tried the let's-give-the young-man-another-chance-afterall-he-is-young-and-just-made-a-mistake approach and it got ugly and embarrassing for the University. Tucker has already been given another chance and he has blown that 2nd chance. I put in the disclaimer in anticipation of someone pointing out that rape & alcoholism are on two differnt levels.

So if these were two parking or jaywalking tickets, should they also kick him off the team so it didn't get ugly and embarrassing?

I think the new coach will want to either use the scholarship on an addition at the point guard or center position. We already have plenty of 2/3 players on the team, especially with Brust and Marble on the way. In the games he played this past year, I wasn't sold on Tucker's ability to handle the ball at the point position.

Sometimes a change of scenery is a good thing and at this point in time I think that would be best for both AT and the Hawks.