Trying to hide QB caught up to us

Apparently you believe that the inaccuracy is not due to the OLine struggling. I point to the times where he DOES get the time and he is very good at hitting the receiver. And I also point to what appears to be an anemic running game that is directly affected by the OLine struggling (and the ineffective passing game).
Santa, Easter Bunny, and Sasquatch say thank for believing in Petras

Padilla isn't ready. He isn't close to be ready. And he's been there two years? The offensive line is a problem. The guards and center are solid. The tackles are not so good. And they've both been there? How long? There are too many missed blocks by the running backs. etc.

Not a lot of development with a developmental program

Because the alternative is even worse?

Because we don't need to have happen to the Hawkeyes what happened to PSU when Clifford went down?

Because a QB controversy is WAY more than just subbing a backup in?

Doing that mid-season is sending a clear message to your players and locker room that you as a coach have reached the point that you have no idea what is wrong or how to fix it. Changing QBs halfway through the season is an absolute last resort and you don't do something fucking stupid like that unless the season is already lost. I don't know if you've played team sports, but even at the high school level those things cause rifts in your team. It's not good.

What do you do then if it doesn't work? What if Padilla stinks the joint up worse than Petras? At that point you've completely lost control of the situation. You think you're just gonna put Petras back in and everything will be hunky dory like you never benched him in the first place?

The Hawks are still in first place right now, and Purdue isn't going to beat OSU and MSU. We already can't run the ball, what would subbing Padilla in prove? he can get back to the LOS instead of lose 5 yds every time he gets pressured because of our terrible OL? Yeaaaaahhhh. That'll fix the problem. I don't know if you watch Padilla in the spring game, but he's not exactly John Elway and he's definitely not a better passer than Petras.

If Spence goes down

This season is totally over

There really is no alternative right now

A 2 QB system is the way to go. Padilla gets some experience and Petras senses he has to pick it up and at least manage the ball (throw it out of bounds) and not take a sack. It is an obvious change and it's not like we haven't done it before. Alternate by quarter or possession.

A 2 QB system is the way to go. Padilla gets some experience and Petras senses he has to pick it up and at least manage the ball (throw it out of bounds) and not take a sack. It is an obvious change and it's not like we haven't done it before. Alternate by quarter or possession.
So are we alternating Oline's as well? They seem to be as much a part of the problem right now as QB's are. Not saying I think this team is tanking, but I think solely blaming Petras or thinking we're better off with Padilla doesn't really get us anywhere. Whoever's back there has to have time to throw.

Not being that guy, but I'm not sure an open QB competition in the spring is the answer when there's little to no time provided by the line. I think regardless of who takes the snaps it's as much as the Oline not being ready as it is the QB.
It just depends on Petras and the guys behind him. I mean if Petras doesn't improve at all lets say. Then what's that say for the others behind him if they can't even catch him to get to this level say by next summer? Here's to hoping Petras improves making all this irrelevant but that's been a theme for a yr now already for those who've been paying attention.

It just depends on Petras and the guys behind him. I mean if Petras doesn't improve at all lets say. Then what's that say for the others behind him if they can't even catch him to get to this level say by next summer? Here's to hoping Petras improves making all this irrelevant but that's been a theme for a yr now already for those who've been paying attention.
But regardless of who's starting there has to be better blocking upfront for any QB to function back there. I guess my argument is it doesn't matter who is under center taking the snaps if the line play doesn't improve.

Dude, Tom Brady would suck with this offensive line. When a QB gets time, they usually perform quite well. If you watch any game, when Petras has the time he can drop dimes. The problem is he is not getting necessary time about 75% of the time
Yeah the second sentence I wrote addressed that. But even when Petras sets his feet he's not perfect. He's missed lots of reads and open throws this yr even when not under pressure too. As you said that when he isn't pressured and is in rhythm is when he's got a snow balls chance of making a good throw. But even that's not a given.

It is beyond silly that we are trying to “hide” our QB. Our coaches ask more from our QB’s than most teams. The biggest “hide” is our O line for right now. I hope for improvement along with all Hawk fans.
I disagree with the take that we ask more of them then most. We run a slow offense and don't ask Qb to throw a ton compared to most. Usually the plays that are the most successful are setup by play action and aren't difficult reads or throws. My take on 'hiding' the qb I mean we'd been winning games despite him not because of him. Yes our current backups aren't ready to go instead of him but what other QBs could we have had instead back when we recruited him. We took him instead of the kid that's with the Jets now and I can't remember who else was on the short list prior to that. But point being I think the phrase hiding our QB fits in this case

We sure could use a Drew Tate about now with our current O-line. He could throw on the run and run as well. Good enough to get up to a somewhat inflated 2 ranking, the cupboards are not bare. It really is a team thing that does start with the film and coaching staff to move forward. I still think we have a very good shot at Wisky, and also the West title. Hoping the best play from this team is yet to come - we shall see but until then, quit worrying whining and crying and enjoy the weekend off! Vikes fan here as well so I get to chill this weekend.

I disagree with the take that we ask more of them then most. We run a slow offense and don't ask Qb to throw a ton compared to most. Usually the plays that are the most successful are setup by play action and aren't difficult reads or throws. My take on 'hiding' the qb I mean we'd been winning games despite him not because of him. Yes our current backups aren't ready to go instead of him but what other QBs could we have had instead back when we recruited him. We took him instead of the kid that's with the Jets now and I can't remember who else was on the short list prior to that. But point being I think the phrase hiding our QB fits in this case

Zach Wilson. I think they kicked the tires with Trey Lance as well.

Anyone who wonders why football coaches are so well paid has never been to a football message board.

I've come to an understanding (though perhaps not an acceptance) that your average football fan watches the game through a pinhole.

I think much the same could be said over on the basketball side, but probably not quite to the same degree since basketball, IMO, is a much simpler game.

I would think it would be frustrating, even depressing, but people come back for more pinhole viewing. So, there you go.

I think I just took a huge step towards acceptance. This feels good.

Zach Wilson. I think they kicked the tires with Trey Lance as well.
If Lance was on our radar we really missed the boat on that. The kid wanted to go to MN and they didn't give him the time of day either I think they wanted him to play safety. Kid woulda been a hell of a QB for us if so too but we probably didn't offer either.

We mighta had Wilson had Petras not committed right before Wilson was about to visit. He'd visited the weekend before I believe and Iowa kinda put the screws to him and told him look if you don't commit now and Wilson does during his upcoming visit you'll be left holding the bag. I'm pretty sure that's how that kinda went.

We don't have enough time to implement a 2 QB system

Can't afford in-game training right now for the second string QB

Every down is precious right now

More importantly, we need to find a way to protect Spencer

And create more creative routes for the receivers