Troy Davis Arrested for Public Intox in Ames

So what is the big deal? Doing this is a big deal for everybody and shouldn't be done. You think Hawks don't do this? Bored?

explosive reporting by rob howe.
you're better than this.

FWIW, Howe did not report anything; the "reporting" as you call it, was done by Travis Hines of the Ames Tribune.

If you want to single out reporting where the so-called reporter should be called out, it is DMRag's Randy Peterson with his front page above the fold article rationalizing/excusing public intox as "no big whup" this time......"for gosh sakes". I swear that Peterson & the DMRag have a reporting line direct to Pollard, who it seems is also the rag's sports editor.

"ISU FOOTBALL
Even the greats can make poor decisions
Arrest doesn’t diminish Davis’ accomplishments

AMES, Ia. — Troy Davis fumbled. The greatest player in Iowa State football history needs to act like the greatest player in Iowa State history off the field, too. His arrest at 2:29 a.m. Sunday for public intox wasn’t an assault or even an OWI, for gosh sakes.

Public intox?

Big whup, in most instances. This time, however, what happened somewhere along Ames’ Chamberlain Street in the wee hours of a Sunday morning shouldn’t have happened.

Troy Davis is a celebrity, a public figure. And when celebrities and public figures get arrested — even for public intox — it’s news.

It’s especially news when it’s a guy who was honored during Saturday’s Iowa State game against Baylor for his selection into the College Football Hall of Fame.

University president Steven Leath, athletics director Jamie Pollard and a representative from College Football’s Hall of Fame stood alongside Davis as he received a replica of the same plaque he’ll receive at the

See PETE, Page 2C

Image_2.jpg

RANDY PETERSON"

Messers Peterson and Birch scribed yet another article that is very telling; read and judge for yourselves. What a waste, Peterson et al & the DMRag just couldn't resist, it is pretty obvious why Peterson poo pooed Davis being arrested, calling it "no whup".

"IOWA STATE FOOTBALL

Davis has ‘no regrets’ for public intox arrest

RANDY PETERSON

AND TOMMY BIRCH

TBIRCH@DMREG.COM

AMES, Ia. — Troy Davis, Iowa State’s Hall of Fame former football player, says he has “no regrets” after winding up in jail Sunday morning, just 14 hours after being honored during the Cyclones’ game against Baylor on Saturday at Jack Trice Stadium. The 41-year-old from Miami was arrested and charged with public intoxication at 2:29 a.m. Sunday on Chamberlain Street in Ames, according to an Iowa State University police department spokesperson. Davis told the Register Sunday evening that he went to two or three clubs Sunday morning. He said he thought the arrest may have stemmed from an encounter he had with a security guard at AJ’s Ultra Lounge, at 2401 Chamberlain St. Davis said a security guard told him to move to the front of the line but was then told he had to wait by another employee. The two exchanged words. “I don’t remember what I said to him, but I did have some words and just left. I think that was one of the reasons why the police came.” Davis said he wasn’t getting into a car to drive anywhere or causing any sort of problems. When he was approached by officers, Davis was asked if he was drunk. “Everybody else was.It didn’t feel like I was the only one drunk. We were there, having fun.”

Davis refused to perform a standardized field sobriety test along with a preliminary breath test, according to news released issued by the ISU police department. He was read notification of right to chemical tests and had refused the voluntary breath test, the release said. Davis was taken to Story County Jail, where he was held on $300 bond.

Davis told the Register he felt police should have offered him a ride. “I don’t have no regrets at all,” Davis said
Sunday afternoon. “Who’s not going to drink and not going to celebrate an accomplishment that too many athletes do not get? “Why can’t I have fun with the induction into the hall of fame that I got?”

Davis said a friend bailed him out at around 3:30 Sunday afternoon.

“I don’t feel like I should have went to jail because every fan was in there, enjoying my presence.
You can ask any fan that was around or saw me there — nothing that I did wrong.” The only major-college running back to rush for 2,000 yards in consecutive seasons, Davis will be inducted into college football Hall of Fame in December. He finished second in Heisman Trophy balloting in 1996.

Image_1.jpg

Former ISU running back Troy Davis was honored for his induction into the College Hall of Fame award on Saturday afternoon in Ames, just 14 hours before his arrest for public intoxication (above right).

MICHAEL ZAMORA / THE REGISTER

Last edited:

Latest posts