Troubling Trend in Hawkeye Recruiting: Too Many Iowans

I think KF knows he is gone, and is simply trying to collect 1 more years salary at 100%. The sad thing is he is going to look like Urban Meyer when compared to the record the next coach will have for his first 2-3 years.

Scroll down to "Has any team underperformed?"..............

http://btn.com/2015/02/03/signing-day-qa-247sports-coms-kevin-ryan-talks-big-ten-recruiting/

Would like to see any unbiased (no Iowa media writers) summary after Wed. that actually states this is a good overall class. Going back 14 years no other class would rival this year's number of in-state recruits other than 2009. Were there any publications or info published prior to this season that indicated this would be a strong in-state class of Div. 1 prospects this year in Iowa?

Oh man, this one is a good bump. I was looking for a thread that I thought we had talking about how good the talent in Iowa is this year for D1 football recruiting, but this popped up.

Man how the pendulum as swung. Now everyone has their panties in a bunch because we didn't offer a 2* WR from Iowa.......Last year the narrative would have been from many (completely different set of people DP555) that KF is lazy, and only take kids he knows will sign. LOLOLOLOL.....even when I wanted KF gone, I wasn't insane enough to believe that for one second.

I'll just use this thread then to get to my point. Look at how many kids are going to play P5 D1 football from Iowa:

Future Hawks
Van Ginkel 4*
Martin probably 4*
Kallenberger 3*
Coons 3*
Wirfs 3*
Kirkpatrick 3*
Duwa 3*

Future Clones
Kleinow 3*
Hummel 3*
Newell 3*
Vance 3*
Moore 3*

Kids going out of state
Harris 3*
Lombardi 3*
Dykstra 3*

Already 15 have committed verbally, and several more could end up earning offers with big Sr. years.

Oh man, this one is a good bump. I was looking for a thread that I thought we had talking about how good the talent in Iowa is this year for D1 football recruiting, but this popped up.

Man how the pendulum as swung. Now everyone has their panties in a bunch because we didn't offer a 2* WR from Iowa.......Last year the narrative would have been from many (completely different set of people DP555) that KF is lazy, and only take kids he knows will sign. LOLOLOLOL.....even when I wanted KF gone, I wasn't insane enough to believe that for one second.
What receiver is that? I still hope we don't sign a 2 star this year.

What receiver is that? I still hope we font sign a 2 star this year.

He would have been a 3 star after Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa offered. He may have never gone out West and gotten more offers but who cares.

Your point is so bad tho. Crazy news flash, fans care about rankings because they don't go scout kids for a living. What does that have to do with fans thinking Iowa coaches should have been able to tell Oliver was 4 star talent before the recruiting services could? I think you must think he got night and day better over night. Otherwise how do you not see how big the window was for the staff (who was watching him the whole time) to recognize the kind of player he was.

I'll just use this thread then to get to my point. Look at how many kids are going to play P5 D1 football from Iowa:

Future Hawks
Van Ginkel 4*
Martin probably 4*
Kallenberger 3*
Coons 3*
Wirfs 3*
Kirkpatrick 3*
Duwa 3*

Future Clones
Kleinow 3*
Hummel 3*
Newell 3*
Vance 3*
Moore 3*

Kids going out of state
Harris 3*
Lombardi 3*
Dykstra 3*

Already 15 have committed verbally, and several more could end up earning offers with

Your name should be nastrodamous. How do you know van Ginkel and Martin are future hawks?!

He would have been a 3 star after Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Iowa offered. He may have never gone out West and gotten more offers but who cares.

Your point is so bad tho. Crazy news flash, fans care about rankings because they don't go scout kids for a living. What does that have to do with fans thinking Iowa coaches should have been able to tell Oliver was 4 star talent before the recruiting services could? I think you must think he got night and day better over night. Otherwise how do you not see how big the window was for the staff (who was watching him the whole time) to recognize the kind of player he was.

Explain to me why anyone (our staff or any other staff) should have known he was a 4* talent? Does his Jr. film vs Iowa competition scream 4*? If so Rivals, Scout, 247, and ESPN all missed it. If that film was so impressive, why did it not garner 1 single P5 offer?

I think this thread proves that you can be a fan, and still use your head. When lots were bashing everything Iowa, and ripping early recruits and calling the staff lazy, I called them out. It was just stupidity, and it was obvious stupidity even though I had stopped supporting KF. Now it seems to be swinging the other way. The optimists are screaming that the "coaches should know, the coaches should know" when they have a kid blow up at camps. Sometimes the obvious answer is the correct one. The kid improved a ton from camps last year to this year.

Explain to me why anyone (our staff or any other staff) should have known he was a 4* talent? Does his Jr. film vs Iowa competition scream 4*? If so Rivals, Scout, 247, and ESPN all missed it. If that film was so impressive, why did it not garner 1 single P5 offer?

I think this thread proves that you can be a fan, and still use your head. When lots were bashing everything Iowa, and ripping early recruits and calling the staff lazy, I called them out. It was just stupidity, and it was obvious stupidity even though I had stopped supporting KF. Now it seems to be swinging the other way. The optimists are screaming that the "coaches should know, the coaches should know" when they have a kid blow up at camps. Sometimes the obvious answer is the correct one. The kid improved a ton from camps last year to this year.

I agree that he improved a lot from last year to this year. He improved so much that anyone who evaluates him now is ranking him extremely high. Not just "he's better than we thought" high. Extremely high.

The staff has been watching him for a long time. It's their job to evaluate talent against bad compitition. They aren't always going to get it right. I understand that and it's no big deal. They got this one wrong. It's ok to admit it. It's just surprising that a staff who gets so much credit for talent evaluation (and rightfully so) can not recognize how good he was, without seeing him camp, when they had such easy access to him. They offer stand out players all the time without seeing them camp first. Oliver is a stand out player. It's a minor fail on their part to not think he was good enough for an offer without seeing him camp first, but it's a big fail on their part to not instantly offer as soon as they saw him. Like someone else has said before, that week hesitation of not offering after camp makes it look like they're reacting off other offers instead of reacting off Oliver. It's small in the grand scheme of things, but it's ok to admit they messed up.

Okay, I will say it if nobody else will. Iowalaw was right!

Technically, showing a list of how many Iowa kids are committing this year doesn't prove him wrong. If they all end up being good it will prove him wrong. But if they all suck...

I agree that he improved a lot from last year to this year. He improved so much that anyone who evaluates him now is ranking him extremely high. Not just "he's better than we thought" high. Extremely high.

The staff has been watching him for a long time. It's their job to evaluate talent against bad compitition. They aren't always going to get it right. I understand that and it's no big deal. They got this one wrong. It's ok to admit it. It's just surprising that a staff who gets so much credit for talent evaluation (and rightfully so) can not recognize how good he was, without seeing him camp, when they had such easy access to him. They offer stand out players all the time without seeing them camp first. Oliver is a stand out player. It's a minor fail on their part to not think he was good enough for an offer without seeing him camp first, but it's a big fail on their part to not instantly offer as soon as they saw him. Like someone else has said before, that week hesitation of not offering after camp makes it look like they're reacting off other offers instead of reacting off Oliver. It's small in the grand scheme of things, but it's ok to admit they messed up.

I kinda lost my train of thought in the first paragraph. My point of him improving so much is since he turned into a really really good player, it made it easy on the staff to make a decision. They still couldn't make that decision tho. If he would have improved less and turned into a high 3 star with offers from Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Indiana, I could easily see how the staff was caught in a tough decision. But since he got so good that Michigan , Michigan State, and Oregon all want him and he has such crazy high rankings, it seems like a player like that would be easy to offer a scholarship to without seeing him camp first. It seems like a no brained to at least offer the scholarship at the camp. And like I've said, if he lived in Wisconsin, it would be no big deal that he slipped through the Iowa staff's radar. But he lives in Iowa City. They had too much access to him and he's too good to have been a tweener.

My basic point in all of this, if that you want the Iowa coaches to predict the future, not evaluate talent. They did evaluate Martin, and last years camp performance, and his Jr. film didn't warrant a P5 offer. It simply wasn't good enough, period, and that was the verdict of every recruiting service, every P5 school, all of them. Iowa can't know the kid is gonna improve his measurable by as much as he did. You can only take the information you have and make decisions with what you have.

We are all fans PC, I guess we just see this one differently.

Technically, showing a list of how many Iowa kids are committing this year doesn't prove him wrong. If they all end up being good it will prove him wrong. But if they all suck...

IowaLaw said KF was lazy and was only offering Iowa kids because they were low hanging fruit. I shouldn't be shocked to see that lightning agreed with him.

My basic point in all of this, if that you want the Iowa coaches to predict the future, not evaluate talent. They did evaluate Martin, and last years camp performance, and his Jr. film didn't warrant a P5 offer. It simply wasn't good enough, period, and that was the verdict of every recruiting service, every P5 school, all of them. Iowa can't know the kid is gonna improve his measurable by as much as he did. You can only take the information you have and make decisions with what you have.

We are all fans PC, I guess we just see this one differently.

I expect Kirk to be better at evaluating talent in Iowa City than any recruiting service or any other coach. His access of the player is too big of an advantage for anyone else to overcome. For that reason, I don't care that no one else saw how good he was.

Do they really need to see a highlight tape of him when he lives so close? Other schools do and recruiting services do. But does the Iowa staff? It seems like I hear stories of coaches being at games but maybe I'm wrong. Do coaches get to watch high school games or do they not because of scheduling?

I expect Kirk to be better at evaluating talent in Iowa City than any recruiting service or any other coach. His access of the player is too big of an advantage for anyone else to overcome. For that reason, I don't care that no one else saw how good he was.

Do they really need to see a highlight tape of him when he lives so close? Other schools do and recruiting services do. But does the Iowa staff? It seems like I hear stories of coaches being at games but maybe I'm wrong. Do coaches get to watch high school games or do they not because of scheduling?

Got it. So now you don't even think coaches should need film to evaluate kids??? Like watching a game they are supposed to focus in on Martin and Martin alone, and not even look at the film to see it from a way better advantage??? You do get, that is what coaches do right, watch film? That would be like saying, um you were right on the sidelines during the game, why do you need to watch the film to break down the game?

You are driving deeper and deeper into an incredibly obtuse rabbit hole. So now, they don't need film to evaluate, they don't need them at camp to evaluate.....they are just supposed to "know".....

Latest posts