Trouble in River City

During the 70s' 80's and 90's Nebby had some of the greatest teams of all time. Nobody will ever have teams like that again, because schollies are limited and more trends get on t.v.

However, Nebraska with Frost will win a title. I'm almost certain of it. He does buying but even, wherever he goes. He might have trouble in big games, we saw some of that at Oregon, but if he can turn a doormat program into a running powerhouse, imagine what he's gong to do at the best rushing school of all time.

UCF isn't as doormat of a program as you think, they had some excellent seasons under George O'Leary and played in the Fiesta Bowl in 2013 beating Baylor and finishing in the top 10. There is a ton of football talent in Florida even after Miami, FSU, and Florida get their pick of the litter so it doesn't take much to recruit talent.

The challenge for Frost at Nebraska will be re-establishing those recruiting ties in the south. Kids that grow up in the south dream of playing in the SEC or the Big 12, not up north in the cold for a Big Ten school. This isn't the Nebraska of old, no 17/18 year old cares that they won a NC back in the 90s. I see Frost getting them back to 8/9 win seasons with an occasional West division title (like Iowa) but I don't see them getting back to their sustained success that they had in the 70s/80s/90s.

They lose a lot of skill positions next year and still don't have a QB, but sure we'll go with seasoned.

Yet will still have way more weapons on offense. Not exactly excited about watching rugamba try to cover butler. Montgomery is a stud. Most importantly Campbell gets the most out of his guys and will put them in the best position to succeed. Can't exactly say that about our staff.

Campbell gets the most out of his guys and will put them in the best position to succeed. Can't exactly say that about our staff.

Wadely, The Outlaw, and Jackson all had the most brought out of them. Are you kidding me with that crap statement?

Wadely, The Outlaw, and Jackson all had the most brought out of them. Are you kidding me with that crap statement?

The last sentence was in reference to putting them in best position to succeed, not necessarily the position they play. How is running Wadley into 8 man fronts 20x a game when my mom knows it's coming putting him in the best position to succeed or getting the most out of him? No f'n way Campbell would've used Wadley in such a way. He got Montgomery in space and that combined with his talent is why the dude led the country in making guys miss. Unless you're BF/KF you don't run 190lb backs into a brick wall repeatedly. You don't start a fullback at tailback for 3 yrs. And Wadley came inbwith those skills. Sure, he maybe learned ball security and post game Kirk-speak, but Kirk has little to do with AW being AW.

The last sentence was in reference to putting them in best position to succeed, not necessarily the position they play. How is running Wadley into 8 man fronts 20x a game when my mom knows it's coming putting him in the best position to succeed or getting the most out of him? No f'n way Campbell would've used Wadley in such a way. He got Montgomery in space and that combined with his talent is why the dude led the country in making guys miss. Unless you're BF/KF you don't run 190lb backs into a brick wall repeatedly. You don't start a fullback at tailback for 3 yrs. And Wadley came inbwith those skills. Sure, he maybe learned ball security and post game Kirk-speak, but Kirk has little to do with AW being AW.

Yeah 2 star recruits have back to back 1k rushing seasons everywhere right?

Frost might get Nebraska back to being 8/9 win program with an occasional run at the West division title but they will never be that dominate football program like they were in the 70s/80s/90s again.

This probably impacts Iowa State more than Iowa in terms of recruiting.
True. Why would Nebraska want any of our 2 star recruits? ISU will out recruit KF and staff now with Campbell there.

True. Why would Nebraska want any of our 2 star recruits? ISU will out recruit KF and staff now with Campbell there.

That's actually becoming a problem for Nebraska, Iowa State's success is making it harder for them to dominate the western side of the state. They still have decent recruiting grounds in Omaha and Lincoln but it's getting tougher for them in other areas.

UCF isn't as doormat of a program as you think, they had some excellent seasons under George O'Leary and played in the Fiesta Bowl in 2013 beating Baylor and finishing in the top 10. There is a ton of football talent in Florida even after Miami, FSU, and Florida get their pick of the litter so it doesn't take much to recruit talent.

The challenge for Frost at Nebraska will be re-establishing those recruiting ties in the south. Kids that grow up in the south dream of playing in the SEC or the Big 12, not up north in the cold for a Big Ten school. This isn't the Nebraska of old, no 17/18 year old cares that they won a NC back in the 90s. I see Frost getting them back to 8/9 win seasons with an occasional West division title (like Iowa) but I don't see them getting back to their sustained success that they had in the 70s/80s/90s.

Good analysis but one bone to pick here.. Iowa ain't a 8/9 win program. Those seasons are less frequent than you and I would like

Dude! Rest your weary head! KF's running our ship so chill! We'll still be able to go 7-5 with Frost there. We still got Isu to beat on...oh wait Campbell. Well we can beat on NW...oh yeah lost that one. Well we got Purdue...oh yeah lost that one. Well after it plays out a few years and we have constant 5-7 seasons these 7-5 seasons will be a treat then so no worries!

Perhaps now we can finally get ISU off our schedule so that we can replace them with St. Ambrose or Upper Iowa to help with that 6 or 7 wins?

Having grown up in SWI during the 70's on I am painfully aware of Nebraska's traditions. I can tell you Iowa is in trouble when Nebraska names Frost as coach Saturday. He will win at Nebraska and re-establish their program and identity. His first visit will to be announce his potential signing of young Mr. Duggan. He recruited him while in Florida...there is trouble folks. Frost is young and young players will want to play for one of the hottest names in football. They WILL start stealing players from Iowa. It pains me in the worst way to see this!

Uh huh ... row the boat.

Having grown up in SWI during the 70's on I am painfully aware of Nebraska's traditions. I can tell you Iowa is in trouble when Nebraska names Frost as coach Saturday. He will win at Nebraska and re-establish their program and identity. His first visit will to be announce his potential signing of young Mr. Duggan. He recruited him while in Florida...there is trouble folks. Frost is young and young players will want to play for one of the hottest names in football. They WILL start stealing players from Iowa. It pains me in the worst way to see this!

1999 is calling ................. rotary dial phone.

So what you're saying is you think AW is a 2 star back? Could it maybe be AW was overlooked or evaluated incorrectly? Nah, that never happens right?

AW was a 2 star back, Iowa definitely got the most out of him and if you think otherwise then you're just mad about things you can't change.

Good analysis but one bone to pick here.. Iowa ain't a 8/9 win program. Those seasons are less frequent than you and I would like

Gosh dang you're nit picky, similar to Iowa would have been better to say.

In my defense if you throw out the first 2 rebuilding years Ferentz has averaged 8.1 wins per season.

Maybe if Frost brings back steroids, moves back to the Big 8, lowers academic standards even further, allows felons to play, ramps up NCAA violations and pays players. Other than that, Nebraska has no advantage over Iowa.

I want to live in this fantasyland you live in.

http://www.winsipedia.com/nebraska/vs/iowa

That page is like comparing Iowa vs Iowa State.

Total offense
Iowa 106
Nebraska 86

Note, this was the worst ever year of Nebraska football in the postwar world.

Yep, 0 advantages. Fake news. Alternative facts. They can probably out recruit Iowa and Michigan on legacy recruits alone. That's what tradition does.

What shocks me more is this opinion that Nebraska fans are delusional for firing the worst coach in their program's history. Like it can get any worse, there. Be careful what you wish for, might win three games instead of four. That program should probably be a top 15 team nationally every year.

I hate to say this, but playing in the Big Ten West is easier than playing in the Big 8. The Big 8 had Colorado, Nebraska, and Oklahoma, when all three were winning titles. The West has Wisconsin, Nebraska and Iowa, and no-one is winning titles.

Finally, you have to compare where 90's Nebraska was in relation to where 90's Penn St., Ohio St., Michigan, Florida State, and Miami to now. They are legitimate claimants to top ten all-time programs. None of those team's will ever be as good as they were back then, because of scholarships. They can absolutely be as good as Michigan and OSU, again.

Nebraska has had its fill of crow lately. A really good coach can turn them around. They're a freaking landmine.

Some current news on what awaits Frost at nebby:

* (dated today) Recruiting: Four-star athlete Mario Goodrich decommits, Nebraska class shrinks to eight. (again, class of 8 recruits)

and BTW,

* hmmm....UCF trailing Memphis at the half

* just a FYI on Duggan: "He has taken unofficial visits to several schools, including Iowa (multiple times), Iowa State (multiple times) and Nebraska (twice). He’s camped at Iowa, Wyoming and South Dakota".

Last edited:

Latest posts