Trey Dickerson

I guess we have a philosophical difference then. As a former DIII player and HS coach, I have always placed one fact above all else: Offense can come and go (as ISU showed us against Maryland) but defense can be there every night. Some nights you can shoot and EVERYTHING goes in and other nights you can shoot and your lucky to hit the rim. But EVERY night you should bring your defensive effort - it should NEVER be inconsistent. That's why all the good coaches at every level work on defense more than offense and value their team's defensive play higher than their offensive play.

Like I said previously, I will take offense everyday of the week. Teams that have the ability to make daggers break the will of opponents. Putting the ball in the basket wins a lot games and makes for entertaining basketball.

You reference one loss for ISU who has made 3 straight NCAA's, won a conference tourney and made a final 16 running an offensive oriented system? To me they are hardly justification for a defense first approach. Cold nights happen absolutely but at the end of the day you make shots, you move on.

One thing TD brings to the table that MG and Sapp don't, is the ability to blow by in the half court and make it to the rim without being contested. He will force the defensive help to have to react sooner and that will make for dishes or getting to the rim. I think we should be considering that TD ma not "know" the offense, yet, and this could be affecting his PT. Having said that, I believe Fran needs to bite the bullet and almost force feed TD. I really believe that TD must be an integral part of the offense once we get to the B1G. He is (potentially) our missing ingredient in the half court sets. And you can just see his basketball instincts. I think he will be a lot of fun to watch. I love that he's always looking for the alley oop.

The Hawks currently have 7 quality players who I trust on the court. Trey is not one of them.

In the last press conference Fran was given the opportunity to talk about Trey, but instead focused only on Jok and Uhl. In short, Trey was awful against NIU: a terrible NBA range 3 early in the shot clock; a forced drive baseline to draw a charge; and constantly being out of position defensively.

The Hawks were up 20-6 when Trey entered the game and NIU immediately went on a 6-0 run. To be fair, Trey was also playing with Uhl and Jok so that 2nd team lineup is more inclined to be a minus.

Trey is not the answer for this year; I'm hopeful he can make an impact as a junior and senior.

On the plus side, I think Peter Jok put out the most defensive energy he's displayed while at Iowa. He unfortunately committed several dumb fouls, but they were of an aggressive nature; and, he kept his man in front of him several different times. So far in his career he has been such an easy drive by. Any player, on any team, could go by him. So seeing him move his feet and not get beat on a straight line drive was awesome to see. Adding in the couple of baseline Js, he was a plus for the first time ALL YEAR. I'm really hoping the "D" light bulb has turned on for him.

The Hawks currently have 7 quality players who I trust on the court. Trey is not one of them.

In the last press conference Fran was given the opportunity to talk about Trey, but instead focused only on Jok and Uhl. In short, Trey was awful against NIU: a terrible NBA range 3 early in the shot clock; a forced drive baseline to draw a charge; and constantly being out of position defensively.

The Hawks were up 20-6 when Trey entered the game and NIU immediately went on a 6-0 run. To be fair, Trey was also playing with Uhl and Jok so that 2nd team lineup is more inclined to be a minus.

Trey is not the answer for this year; I'm hopeful he can make an impact as a junior and senior.

On the plus side, I think Peter Jok put out the most defensive energy he's displayed while at Iowa. He unfortunately committed several dumb fouls, but they were of an aggressive nature; and, he kept his man in front of him several different times. So far in his career he has been such an easy drive by. Any player, on any team, could go by him. So seeing him move his feet and not get beat on a straight line drive was awesome to see. Adding in the couple of baseline Js, he was a plus for the first time ALL YEAR. I'm really hoping the "D" light bulb has turned on for him.

Agree with you on Jok. Liked the D, loved the back-to-back splashes. Regarding TD, I don't disagree that he isn't playing well, but I also believe that without him, we'll struggle in the B1G against the better teams, in the half court. I think there needs to be more of a sense of urgency to bring him along, while we can in the non con. But agree, he needs to be limited on his perimeter shooting until it becomes more reliable.

Agree with you on Jok. Liked the D, loved the back-to-back splashes. Regarding TD, I don't disagree that he isn't playing well, but I also believe that without him, we'll struggle in the B1G against the better teams, in the half court. I think there needs to be more of a sense of urgency to bring him along, while we can in the non con. But agree, he needs to be limited on his perimeter shooting until it becomes more reliable.

Dickerson needs to play in the pre conference season . He is the ONLY quickness out of every guard we have. I don't care if he is making dumb mistakes right now, we NEED to know if he can play or not by the time BIG TEN play starts. Playing 4 minutes a game doesn't tell squat, great or bad. If you think we are going anywhere with our current guards, you are delusional and don't watch any top fifty teams. Our guards are SLOW and can't shoot with any consistency. There is no way we are better than 9-9 in conference

Everyone is saying Dickerson, Jok and Uhl need more playing time. I agree with this, especially Dickerson and Jok. I think Fran would agree with this and like to get them more PT. However, we are not exactly a good team who blows opponents out. If Uhl and Dickerson get significant minutes against Pepperdine, we probably lose. I think Fran is trying to win the games, and doesn't have patience for turnovers and bad shots.

SIAP. It has been by me. Iowa doesn't have one player that can break down the defense to create his shot. Trey will be that guy.. The guy we had last year with Marble. A guy who can break down the defense and create shots for everyone else. Not his scoring but his dimes.

Dickerson looks like a young player with talent who isn't ready yet. I'm sure he'll be good by his jr and sr years but what concerns me is it seems like jr. college players look more ready than he does.

Dickerson looks like a young player with talent who isn't ready yet. I'm sure he'll be good by his jr and sr years but what concerns me is it seems like jr. college players look more ready than he does.

Most juco players are a year older though. I think if he played one more year at juco then came here and got a lot of minutes early, he would look more like a good juco player than he does now.

Most juco players are a year older though. I think if he played one more year at juco then came here and got a lot of minutes early, he would look more like a good juco player than he does now.

I see this with TD: he is the only guard we have that can get to the rack all on his own and he can finish. To me, TD looks like a poor mans Tyler Ulis. If TD can play without turning the ball over and with minimal defensive mistakes, I say, give him the keys and let him go. MG and Sapp aren't going to be fast, all of a sudden and develop the ability to break defenders ankles and get to the rim, at will. And, getting to the rim, at will, by the PG is paramount in Fran's offense.

Trey appears to be getting into the groove. More relaxed and in control. Uhl is getting better, despite not scoring that much. He is all over the floor. Brady Ellington can shoot the three with no hesitation and seems to be a good passer.....

We might need Brady. He looks like a natural. Not a lot of game experience, two games, but a few against Longwood. If hiis foot injury is not 100 %, wonder if it is worth the risk of him injuring it and not being able to play, losing a season.....

Trey appears to be getting into the groove. More relaxed and in control. Uhl is getting better, despite not scoring that much. He is all over the floor. Brady Ellington can shoot the three with no hesitation and seems to be a good passer.....

We might need Brady. He looks like a natural. Not a lot of game experience, two games, but a few against Longwood. If hiis foot injury is not 100 %, wonder if it is worth the risk of him injuring it and not being able to play, losing a season.....

I only half jokingly posed the question: "could ellingson be our Ben Brust?" he flashed that to me during the Longwood game. Physically, similar size and shape, and he seemed to have a mindset of "let's play ball, I'm not just a 3 point shooter, but you better not leave me open. Granted, short minutes, as you stated, but the kid did flash.

Latest posts