Trey Dickerson

In the short time I've been able to see Trey play, he reminds me of Kevin Smith from about 20 years ago.

It is hard to say what we should do with Dickerson right now. He's hasn't played well enough yet in games to stake a claim to major rotation minutes. At the same point, the ceiling for Gessel and Clemmons is limited, and we likely know that we not likely to beat high-end teams with those two both playing major minutes.

Dickerson is more athletic and, potentially, dynamic than either. I think we need to continue to give him as much run as possible in the non-conference in order to see if he improves. Because come Big 10 season, if he's not playing better, I don't think we can play him anything other than deep rotation minutes.

Sometimes the biggest adjustment for a player in his shoes is flat out playing time. In HS and Juco he was getting as many mins as he could handle. That allows for him to get in a flow of the game and size up who he's going against. Not all players can adjust to being the man one year and then not starting and playing spot mins. That's not easy to do either. So if you don't come out hot right away... Back to the bench you go.

What did Jok work on this off season ? Can anyone tell ?
Good question. It wasn't finishing at the rim that's for sure. He missed that wide open layup off that touch pass that would have been a heck of a play overall. He inbetweened it and didn't use the backboard. Why on earth so many guys are allergic to using the glass is beyond me.... If he had half the going to the hole game Marble had he'd be a heck of a player. Hope he doesn't end up being just an Oglesby type. I had higher hopes for him then that.

I don't like to pick on any of the kids, but he seems worse not better than last year. If he couldn't do anything else he could have worked on his defense. I was counting on him being a big contributer 15-20 min a game. I understand Trey making the adj. to D1. But Jok knew what he needed to work on and so far it doesn't appear he did that

Everyone rails on Jok for defense. How about just seeing if he can be a knock down shooter?

I have never seen a program that has so many recruited shooters that cannot shoot. Yes defense is important but at the end of the day if you stick the ball in the hoop that wins a lot of games. Shoot the ball, score the ball!

SK Right now I would go with that, However, you can play D even on nights when your shot isnt falling. That's all Im saying. Im thinking If he doesn't start hitting shots. the bench is about the only place left

I don't like to pick on any of the kids, but he seems worse not better than last year. If he couldn't do anything else he could have worked on his defense. I was counting on him being a big contributer 15-20 min a game. I understand Trey making the adj. to D1. But Jok knew what he needed to work on and so far it doesn't appear he did that

I think defensively Jok is always going to be limited. He has poor lateral quickness. But I also think Jok lacks defensive competitiveness. JO isn't quick laterally either, but plays better defense, because he's focused and competes.

Everyone rails on Jok for defense. How about just seeing if he can be a knock down shooter?

I have never seen a program that has so many recruited shooters that cannot shoot. Yes defense is important but at the end of the day if you stick the ball in the hoop that wins a lot of games. Shoot the ball, score the ball!

I basically said the same thing in another thread. While our defense, rebounding, and half court offense could be better, they are plenty good to be a winning team. The major difference between us and other good teams is the ability to make open shots. Including ones from 2 feet away from the hoop.

No I agree about Jok finding a seat on the bench with poor play on both ends. My thing is what is his best potential skill on paper? I would say shooting the '3' ball and we need consistent perimeter shooting badly. Stop trying to be Marble and focus first on what you can do best.

Everyone always focuses on defense and cites this as an option to win games but how many times did we see other teams bury daggers some open, some defended well to steal a victory from us? Where is that shooting ability from our guys? A guy that may have that ability we want to turn into an all-league defender. How did our perimeter shooting outside of Utoff look against Texas & Sryacuse? Bury some shots and we might have won one and stayed in the other.

We have a practice facility but I wonder does anyone from the team ever use it?

You all thee right about our shooting. I don't know why. But Iowa seems to be where great shots go to die anymore. If Jok and JO were hitting their threes we might be undefeated right now

The biggest gripe I have thus far is the lack of playing time for Dickerson. He played 4 min vs. Pepperdine, and gets yanked after 1 poor shot or one bad decision, while Clemmons (a 3rd year player) can make mistake after mistake and stay in the game. He needs extended minutes with the 1st team and a long leash. Need to build up his confidence cuz he’s got the highest ceiling of any of the guards. Uhl and Jok need more minutes too. These are the only guys where we aren’t quite sure what we have yet, and they’re rotting away on the bench while JU, AW, AC and MG play 38 minutes in November. Fran needs to do what the other 300 D-1 coaches do and shorten the rotation in conf play.

Because if your man is shooting wide open shots at a greater rate than you are, you're a liability on defense. Jok would have to shoot and score every time he touched the ball in order to counter his current state on defense. While I think he can be good for offense, he's not THAT good.

Because if your man is shooting wide open shots at a greater rate than you are, you're a liability on defense. Jok would have to shoot and score every time he touched the ball in order to counter his current state on defense. While I think he can be good for offense, he's not THAT good.

I will take offense over defense any day of the week. Teams and players that can score affect the game much more.

The other point is open shots seem to go down on a regular basis for whom ever we play yet our guys cannot toss it in the ocean?

Do we want to play at a faster tempo? I think that's a legitimate question an this point in the season, last season when we were going 10-11 deep, sure it made sense. This year we have a solid 7 man rotation with Fran still trying to figure out how much he trusts Jok, Uhl and Trey.

I keep waiting for Josh and Jok to start nailing those threes. They both seem reluctant to shoot when temporarily open. The best play of the year was Josh's alley oop pass to Jarryd at the rim. I would love to see Aaron and Jarryd coming in from the wings in transition. Uhl and Trey need more game experience. They are talented and will contribute as the season progresses.....

Hopefully.....

:rolleyes:

I keep waiting for Kirk Ferentz to start slamming those chairs ,bumping the refs,spitting when hes screaming and getting ejected from the games just like Fran!:rolleyes:
I'm sorry, it has nothing to do with this thread.

Do we want to play at a faster tempo? I think that's a legitimate question an this point in the season, last season when we were going 10-11 deep, sure it made sense. This year we have a solid 7 man rotation with Fran still trying to figure out how much he trusts Jok, Uhl and Trey.
Yes it is a legitimate question whether we want to play at a faster tempo the way this team is shaking out. The bigs have made big strides. The guards generally haven't outside of Sapp. As it stands, he will likely be the leading guard scorer on this team. Who would have thought that on November 1st? I actually think we will play WI rather well this year because we're currently built to play at their tempo.

We do have a solid 7-man rotation with Woody, White, Gabe, Jarrod, JO, MG and Sapp. An 8th man at this point will likely come by committee- whoever is playing well in practice. From his substitution patterns, I think Fran would like the 8th man to be Jok. In the NIU game, he seemed to settle down a bit when Fran played him more in the 2nd half. Let's hope it's a trend. He would solve a lot of offensive "lull" problems that Aaron mentioned in his post-game interview.

Jok, Uhl, and TD definitely do need minutes in this pre-season. If you look at the rosters for this year and next, when White, JO, and GO leave, those three are likely to fill their spots in the 7-man rotation from this year. I could see that team playing much faster than this one.

I will take offense over defense any day of the week. Teams and players that can score affect the game much more.

The other point is open shots seem to go down on a regular basis for whom ever we play yet our guys cannot toss it in the ocean?

I guess we have a philosophical difference then. As a former DIII player and HS coach, I have always placed one fact above all else: Offense can come and go (as ISU showed us against Maryland) but defense can be there every night. Some nights you can shoot and EVERYTHING goes in and other nights you can shoot and your lucky to hit the rim. But EVERY night you should bring your defensive effort - it should NEVER be inconsistent. That's why all the good coaches at every level work on defense more than offense and value their team's defensive play higher than their offensive play.

I guess we have a philosophical difference then. As a former DIII player and HS coach, I have always placed one fact above all else: Offense can come and go (as ISU showed us against Maryland) but defense can be there every night. Some nights you can shoot and EVERYTHING goes in and other nights you can shoot and your lucky to hit the rim. But EVERY night you should bring your defensive effort - it should NEVER be inconsistent. That's why all the good coaches at every level work on defense more than offense and value their team's defensive play higher than their offensive play.

I tend to agree with this. Defense is one thing you can control. Your shots may not be going in, but that shouldn't stop you on the defensive end. That, and the fact that it was the lack of D the last several games of last season that really did the team in.

The way I see it, points allowed on the defense end cancel out points scored on the offensive end. Last couple minutes of a close game, you can lose by not scoring, but you can also lose by not getting stops when you need them.

That doesn't mean you don't need to be able to score some points, though.. Kind of like in baseball where you lose every game 2-1. Great pitching and defense, but if you can't hit, you still lose although you still can't win with bad pitching... So it's a bit of a fine line to walk and you need a happy medium in there somewhere.

But here's a thought - teach Jok how to play some D and then we might have the best of both worlds. Defense and offense don't necessarily have to be mutually exclusive concepts. Very good teams usually have both.

Last edited:

Latest posts