Trey Dickerson

Hawkfnntn

Is he going to be the basketball teams version of Damon Powell? He could be a shot in the arm to the team and help them play at a faster tempo. This team this year is not anything close to what they were last year. I've hardly seen them be successful at running after defensive boards or even makes like they were last year and I think Dickerson with more PT can help with that. I know he hasn't played all that great in the spot mins he's had so far but he's hardly had much of a chance just yet. Just don't want to see a weapon that could be pretty good not utilized....

To me he needs a little more time to get used to this level of play. I'm not saying he is bad, but he sometimes he just needs to slow down a little. A ton of potential, but I really do trust that Fran will put him on the floor for major minutes when he is ready to be a major contributor. He is young and new to the program. Just give it a little time.

Is he going to be the basketball teams version of Damon Powell? He could be a shot in the arm to the team and help them play at a faster tempo. This team this year is not anything close to what they were last year. I've hardly seen them be successful at running after defensive boards or even makes like they were last year and I think Dickerson with more PT can help with that. I know he hasn't played all that great in the spot mins he's had so far but he's hardly had much of a chance just yet. Just don't want to see a weapon that could be pretty good not utilized....
Do we want to play at a faster tempo? I think that's a legitimate question an this point in the season, last season when we were going 10-11 deep, sure it made sense. This year we have a solid 7 man rotation with Fran still trying to figure out how much he trusts Jok, Uhl and Trey.

Do we want to play at a faster tempo? I think that's a legitimate question an this point in the season, last season when we were going 10-11 deep, sure it made sense. This year we have a solid 7 man rotation with Fran still trying to figure out how much he trusts Jok, Uhl and Trey.
That's a fair question as it is just a different team no doubt. I've never heard coach Fran say anything other then they would like to play fast and hard still with some pressing on D however. I don't think when MG and Sap are coming down court with a full head of steam that they scare anyone. They just aren't that great at being play makers be it for themselves or setting up others on the fast break. Now it remains to be seen if Trey can be either I think he's got what those two don't just with his speed and athleticism. But it sure takes more then just that I know. So time will tell. They very well just not be as much of an up and down team this year for better or worse..

I think Fran with bring both he and Uhl along during the non con and see where they're at before conference play starts. Last night was tough to get them in because we were in a battle with a team we absolutely couldn't afford to lose to. That's not to say Fran is willing to lose to other teams at the expense of play time. It is just a calculated risk and the risk was to costly last night to get them in.

I think Fran with bring both he and Uhl along during the non con and see where they're at before conference play starts. Last night was tough to get them in because we were in a battle with a team we absolutely couldn't afford to lose to. That's not to say Fran is willing to lose to other teams at the expense of play time. It is just a calculated risk and the risk was to costly last night to get them in.

Yup, that game last night was competitive nearly till the end. A loss would of been catastrophic after the NY trip. Fran was probably frustrated he couldn't get the younger guys more minutes. It's not a total loss though. It's not as if the starters don't need minutes as well. Gessell needed a game like that to gain some confidence and work through his shooting funk. Uthoff needs the minutes to keep developing the proper mindset he needs which he did show last night.

I haven't been able to see much of the games so far, but what I have seen shows me that Dickerson has a ways to go yet. But he seems to have a lot of potential so I still have high hopes for him.

Got tickets for Wednesday night vs N Illinois so I can't wait to see the team in person. Go Hawks!

I think Uhl is a year away and should be redshirted, if possible. He needs to develop his body. He looks like a high school kid out there

Jok is an enigma. He needs to wake up and focus. I'm not sure he can.

Dickerson is the one who really deserves more playing time. He is cat quick and can handle the ball

Playing time is earned by what you have done, not gifted on what you're capable of doing. You said that he hasn't played all that great so far, I'd agree. He hasn't yet played better than the guards ahead of him to earn more time.

Playing time is earned by what you have done, not gifted on what you're capable of doing. You said that he hasn't played all that great so far, I'd agree. He hasn't yet played better than the guards ahead of him to earn more time.

It probably would depend on how good he is, and what the coaches vision is. If he has more potential than Gesell or Clemmons I think he should play, but that's a coaching decision. He isn't going to develop as rapidly in practice as playing in the games. I like Gesell and Clemmons, but Dickerson has the ability to bring a different dimension to the team. Fran has proven in the past that he doesn't like to downplay the value of experience. There isn't anyone more experienced at the point guard slot than Gesell. He hasn't really shown that other teams are afraid of him so far this year or that his experience really is that significant. It seems the other team would have to consider the speed Dickerson could bring against their team. I don't really know who would be better starting for the team. That's one of the reasons they have a preconference schedule. Its hard for me to imagine that Fran will go over a guy with experience though.

Honestly, I've thought Dickerson has looked downright terrible. Does he have potential? Sure he probably does, but he has looked completely out of control when he's been in the game. The Hawks have had trouble with too many turnovers already. You can't put in a kid who's a turnover waiting to happen when he's bringing next to nothing to the table in terms of added benefit. It'd be different if he was providing a jolt of energy on offense or defense. He's really not done either. He has rushed his shot. He's lost the ball multiple times because he's out of control. Every time he's been in the game I'm usually ready for him to be taken out within a minute or two.

Fran can't afford to give him the kind of playing time it will take for him to develop if he isn't developing. He has got to start to prove his minutes are worth something at some point. So far I haven't seen it at all. I know both Gesell and Clemmons have played pretty poorly overall as well, but at least they look like they know what they are doing most of the time. Dickerson just looks like a fast little kid trying to prove he can play with the big boys and it isn't working so far.

Honestly, I've thought Dickerson has looked downright terrible. Does he have potential? Sure he probably does, but he has looked completely out of control when he's been in the game. The Hawks have had trouble with too many turnovers already. You can't put in a kid who's a turnover waiting to happen when he's bringing next to nothing to the table in terms of added benefit. It'd be different if he was providing a jolt of energy on offense or defense. He's really not done either. He has rushed his shot. He's lost the ball multiple times because he's out of control. Every time he's been in the game I'm usually ready for him to be taken out within a minute or two.

Fran can't afford to give him the kind of playing time it will take for him to develop if he isn't developing. He has got to start to prove his minutes are worth something at some point. So far I haven't seen it at all. I know both Gesell and Clemmons have played pretty poorly overall as well, but at least they look like they know what they are doing most of the time. Dickerson just looks like a fast little kid trying to prove he can play with the big boys and it isn't working so far.

I agree with you, but I don't know how he has looked in practice. If he has any competitiveness in him at all he probably would be pushing it a little bit in games. I'm sure he wants to show everyone what he can do. It takes a little time for things to slow down when your new to something. I don't think Fran would start him over Gesell, but I can see where he might become pretty valuable. I hope Gesell and Clemmons have great years, but its pretty hard for me to believe they will be in the NBA. I think they might make some money overseas when they graduate. I'd rather have either one of them than Basabe or McCabe. It seemed pretty obvious that Fran was concerned against the Pepperdine team. Uhl didn't play at all and Dickerson only played four minutes. I don't think he has a great deal of confidence in Dickerson yet.

Last edited:
Not sure what everyone thought they were getting with Dickerson. He was never the prize, he was brought on to reel in Atwood so he failed before he even set foot on the court.

I think Dickerson will make improvements quickly. One really good positive about his play this year is his ability to take care of the basketball. Despite the quickness and seemingly out of control play at times, he has only 2 turnovers in 52 minutes of play. That's really good. And he has 6 assists.

Negatives: He is not finishing on his drives to the rim at a high percentage, and he has yet to hit a three pointer.

It's one thing to run a new offense in practice...another altogether to do it with top flight competition defending you. Dickerson is deer in the headlights...but I think he will settle down. He's thinking way too much you can tell. I think he will make huge strides. He's got a long way to go on defense though and that's where he's hung up now.

Boy, Trey and Peter have a long way to go on defense...but they only have to do it for short bursts to spell Gesell and Sap.

I think Dickerson will make improvements quickly. One really good positive about his play this year is his ability to take care of the basketball. Despite the quickness and seemingly out of control play at times, he has only 2 turnovers in 52 minutes of play. That's really good. And he has 6 assists.

Negatives: He is not finishing on his drives to the rim at a high percentage, and he has yet to hit a three pointer.

I was wondering about the turnovers. Everyone is calling him out of control but I really haven't seen many mistakes from him. He did hit 2 3's in the exhibition game FWIW. He has looked bad shooting the ball since though.

He just needs time. Im sure he's used to being the All-american JUCO point guard still and used to running the show and getting plenty of looks. On top of that he is pressing to show his new team what he can do.

None of the guards have been great yet this year so they still need contributions from Trey

He just needs time. Im sure he's used to being the All-american JUCO point guard still and used to running the show and getting plenty of looks. On top of that he is pressing to show his new team what he can do.

None of the guards have been great yet this year so they still need contributions from Trey

I'm more concerned with the veteran Oglesby and his lack of offense so far.

Latest posts