Trend

It is what it is, year after year, almost every year: 7-5 to 9-3. If the 'right direction' is more wins than losses and a good bowl game every year, then it's continuing to trend in a good direction. If you mean is the program getting closer to Division and BTen championships, then no. That said, a lot of Fr and Sophs played meaningful snaps this year, on what looks to likely be an 8-4 season.

Mediocre program, average. We are average in conference play, and no it is not heading in the right direction. Offense keeps getting worse, no running game. Wisconsin has passed us by, Minnesota is on the rise. Who have we beat this year? The bottom feeders. NW, Purdue, Rutgers.

KF used to be the highest paid coach in the conference. Now if you rank coaches from best to worse, he doesn't get in the top half of the Big 10 WEST. Obviously worse than WISC, PU, MINN, and now HERE COMES LOVIE ON THE OUTSIDE. And you can make a legit argument that Fitz at jNW is a better coach.

KF used to be the highest paid coach in the conference. Now if you rank coaches from best to worse, he doesn't get in the top half of the Big 10 WEST. Obviously worse than WISC, PU, MINN, and now HERE COMES LOVIE ON THE OUTSIDE. And you can make a legit argument that Fitz at jNW is a better coach.

Is your goal to make as many idiotic statements as possible? NW has won ONE game this year. Purdue is awful as well. Minnesota is better this year in a year where they have a super easy schedule but it's an outlier. Seriously just step away from the keyboard for a while and get some perspective.

Purdue has been completely decimated by injuries and is still finding ways to win games. Fitz has had his way with Kirk until this year. And PJ Fleck is the hottest coach in the conference and just beat PSU (which Boomer Ferentz hasn't done for forever). It's 2019, and not 2004. The rest of the conference has moved on, and Kirk "OK Boomer" Ferentz is exactly where he's been for years.

Like most have said...

Most concerning for me that this could be the tipping point is having such horrific OL play.

We’re all used to below average to blah offensive production due to limited skill players but this OL and rushing game:eek:

Combine that with flat out terrible game planning and in-game strategy...I fear Cincy is right.

I’m all for guys like Hooker, Nelson, Jackson, Daniels, Fant, Hock leaving early to get paid and it helps recruiting but it also can leave holes.

Our TEs haven’t been good this year. La Porte is becoming our best catching threat the last few weeks. Linderbaum is a RS freshman and converted D lineman starting at Center.

Perhaps this is an excuse as other teams deal with players leaving early. But we know Iowa has a high # of players drafted compared to some programs so are other programs (other than Bama, Clemson, OSU, etc.). having to deal with this as often as Iowa??

I’m all for guys like Hooker, Nelson, Jackson, Daniels, Fant, Hock leaving early to get paid and it helps recruiting but it also can leave holes.

Our TEs haven’t been good this year. La Porte is becoming our best catching threat the last few weeks. Linderbaum is a RS freshman and converted D lineman starting at Center.

Perhaps this is an excuse as other teams deal with players leaving early. But we know Iowa has a high # of players drafted compared to some programs so are other programs (other than Bama, Clemson, OSU, etc.). having to deal with this as often as Iowa??

Iowa has lost more guys to the NFL early over the last 2 years than the rest of the teams in West combined. And Iowa is primed to lose at least 4 more guys early this season. As for the other West teams:

Wisconsin will lose Taylor
Minnesota might lose Winfield Jr.

Over that same time period Iowa is 8-7 vs those West teams. So its like Iowa is getting worst of both worlds. They aren't producing wins on the field and they are losing the guys would could help them change that early to the NFL and other West teams are not losing their players early.

Tyler Johnson at Minnesota is a perfect example. In 2018 he had nearly as many catches, yards, and TDs as Hockenson and Fant did combined. They both left early, he stayed.

I am guilty of just assuming production from the TE position. I know you just don’t replace 2 1st rounders, but I thought you would get more than this.

As Northside pointed out in another thread the lack of production from TE position is killing Iowa in the red zone.

There is no real "direction" to this program. It's basically been a 7-5 to 8-4 program for most of the past 15 years. Just a couple of exceptions, but we basically know what we're going to get year in and year out.

It's been decent but it is not growing, either. 2002-04 were KF's glory years.

I don't follow so close as to know what next year's roster will look like, but from what I've read lately about what we might lose after this year, I fear a downward trend.

Latest posts