Transfer Portal - Who Goes Shopping?

I did not know that.

That's a ridiculous rule, IMO.

I see the quasi-reasoning. In effect, it gives a guy "5 1/2 years to play 4". Stupid reasoning, but from the NCAA, it wouldn't surprise me. No idea if that IS the reason, but it matches the NCAA rationale.

I heard about it this weekend, and was shocked. I’m still not convinced it’s true. I could absolutely be wrong on it. This is the link I was sent, but as I read it now it seems like they are saying they can’t enroll in January and then play in that bowl game during their first term, meaning disregard what I said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si...e-play-four-football-games-season-eligibility
I think that means if they enroll in January 2019, they couldn't play on Jan 3rd 2019, not Jan 3rd 2020.

I heard about it this weekend, and was shocked. I’m still not convinced it’s true. I could absolutely be wrong on it. This is the link I was sent, but as I read it now it seems like they are saying they can’t enroll in January and then play in that bowl game during their first term, meaning disregard what I said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si...e-play-four-football-games-season-eligibility

So, maybe, not enroll/register at END of fall term (I remember routinely registering for Spring semester in December), then playing in late-December or January. Which makes sense, as you could have a grad transfer come in late December, register, then play in a bowl game.

Disregard my comment. The rule applies to early enrollees trying to play in a potential bowl game in their first semester. Basically before they have started classes.

It will definitely be interesting to see how the portal affects Iowa, both in who leaves and who might come in from elsewhere. With the inconsistency of the NCAA rulings on immediate eligibility, it's still a crap shoot, especially for guys who have already burned their redshirt.

I have to believe we lose a RB, or maybe even two RBs. I don't think any WRs who saw field time this year are candidates, but the guys who redshirted or saw no time, who knows?

Frankly, Nixon worries me a little. His name didn't seem to be as prominent the last several games. And he is, IMO, a guy we REALLY need for the next couple seasons.

The DB crew always seems to lose a guy or two each season. Most seem to end up at MAC or FCS schools, some to JuCo, and a couple who (apparently) drop off completely.

Frankly, it seems our bigger worry, these days, are the ones who declare early for the draft.

Good post. I think we're all excited about Goodson and the excitement that he'll bring our offense in the next few years. And I know he's incredibly well built and tough... but we need depth at running back. Goodson is a small back and I think he's probably a 15 carry/game kind of guy. Again, that's not meant as disrespect. But we have to be realistic about ball distribution. We have depth and talent at WR - and they need touches too - and the fact that Goodson is on the small ish size.

As for the early entry NFL guys... I think it does indeed hurt Iowa more than it hurts the programs "above" us. While our recent recruiting performance is trending upwards, it's fair to say we're still lagging behind the talent curve of the top schools. We've commonly been in the bottom 3rd of the Big10 recruiting class rankings kind of range. We all know that's not the end of the story. We scout well, we develop well, find diamonds in the rough... or where others simply aren't looking. But it often entails 2-3 years worth of development, before they're ready to step in and compete in the depth chart. That's still fine. But in this day and age, when your top 2 juniors (star players) leave early for the NFL, that sets the team back. We don't have the talent ready to plug and play, like OSU and PSU do.

Another way of looking at it - Iowa is the kind of program that wants consistency in everything we do... Yet we're also the kind of program that might aim for a "great run" every 3rd year. Would we take 8-4, 9-3, 11-1 cycles for every 3 year stretch? I think we absolutely would. So when we're in one of these cycles, and we feel the program ramping up for our "big" year and a potential run at a conference championship, it hurts to lose your two best players. Examples: imagine this year with Amani Hooker and TJ Hockenson still in the team (we could concede Fant leaving, but imagine him coming back too...). That team could have challenged for the conference championship. Or, imagine next year's team with Epenesa and Wirfs coming back... would be nice.

Last edited:
Good post. I think we're all excited about Goodson and the excitement that he'll bring our offense in the next few years. And I know he's incredibly well built and tough... but we need depth at running back. Goodson is a small back and I think he's probably a 15 carry/game kind of guy. Again, that's not meant as disrespect. But we have to be realistic about ball distribution. We have depth and talent at WR - and they need touches too - and the fact that Goodson is on the small ish size.

As for the early entry NFL guys... I think it does indeed hurt Iowa more than it hurts the programs "above" us. While our recent recruiting performance is trending upwards, it's fair to say we're still lagging behind the talent curve of the top schools. We've commonly been in the bottom 3rd of the Big10 recruiting class rankings kind of range. We all know that's not the end of the story. We scout well, we develop well, find diamonds in the rough... or where others simply aren't looking. But it often entails 2-3 years worth of development, before they're ready to step in and compete in the depth chart. That's still fine. But in this day and age, when your top 2 juniors (star players) leave early for the NFL, that sets the team back. We don't have the talent ready to plug and play, like OSU and PSU do.

Another way of looking at it - Iowa is the kind of program that wants consistency in everything we do... Yet we're also the kind of program that might aim for a "great run" every 3rd year. Would we take 8-4, 9-3, 11-1 cycles for every 3 year stretch? I think we absolutely would. So when we're in one of these cycles, and we feel the program ramping up for our "big" year and a potential run at a conference championship, it hurts to lose your two best players. Examples: imagine this year with Amani Hooker and TJ Hockenson still in the team (we could concede Fant leaving, but imagine him coming back too...). That team could have challenged for the conference championship. Or, imagine next year's team with Epenesa and Wirfs coming back... would be nice.

Don't forget Anthony Nelson. That would have been fun.

I think it will be pretty cool if we get two top-10 guys this spring, though. Hard to buy that publicity.

Another reason getting to 10-wins is so important...if they are talking about two top-10 guys from a team that won fewer than 10 games...that can be spun negatively pretty quickly.

Likely:
Mansell
IKM
One of the DB/S - maybe Craddith (hope he doesn't)

Possibly:
Padilla or Kapisak
Toren Young
One of the WR - Marchese, Hutson or Lockett

I really hope that neither Jacobs nor Nixon transfer as has been suggested. I think both can and will be very high contributors to this program if they stick around.

Likely:
Mansell
IKM

Possibly:
Padilla or Kapisak
Toren Young

I really hope that neither Jacobs nor Nixon transfer as has been suggested. I think both can and will be very high contributors to this program if they stick around.
Craddieth is at best like the 5th safety right now, and a few of the guys in front of him at underclassmen. He could make a drastic jump, but at this point it seems rather unlikely. Reggie Bracy is a guy coming is a really good looking safety prospect as well. If Craddieth goes I don’t think it’s too big of a deal at this point, we’ve heard hardly anything from him.

Likely:
Mansell
IKM

Possibly:
Padilla or Kapisak
Toren Young

I don't know why Jacobs or Nixon would transfer. Both of them should have key roles next season especially Nixon. People suggesting they might are just throwing shit at a wall.

I don't think Nixon would transfer, but I posted in an earlier thread that I wouldn't be surprised if he declared for the draft.

He just seems like the kind of guy that could get caught up in bad advice from family/friends. I doubt it would happen, but I certainly wouldn't be shocked.

I don't know why Jacobs or Nixon would transfer. Both of them should have key roles next season especially Nixon. People suggesting they might are just throwing shit at a wall.

Not throwing shit at a wall. Nixon just didn't seem to get his name called much the last few games. I think he stays, but he HAS put his name in before.

I don’t see Craddieth either. He’s only been in the program 2 years, and a S spot is gonna open up when Geno leaves/graduates.

If I had to say percentages, I’d go:

One of IKM/Sargent/Young 50% (Young least likely IMO. There’s still a lot of carries to be had as a short yardage power back, even with Goodson taking over)

Mansell 45% (just seems like a real Iowa guy IMO. Also, maybe some position flexibility, as he dabbled at WR this spring)

Benson/Wade 40% Decreased LB usage + Doyle, Campbell, and Jacobs + Colbert and Niemann firmly entrenched = somebody gone

Not throwing shit at a wall. Nixon just didn't seem to get his name called much the last few games. I think he stays, but he HAS put his name in before.
Not sure what you’re seeing there. His stats are pretty evenly divided throughout the year, and while I don’t have snap counts, I saw him on the field plenty. He was featured in our NASCAR package a lot.

Not sure what you’re seeing there. His stats are pretty evenly divided throughout the year, and while I don’t have snap counts, I saw him on the field plenty. He was featured in our NASCAR package a lot.
Number 3 dtackle who played quite a bit is going to transfer when 1 and 2 are graduating. Sounds legit to me....

Latest posts