Transfer Portal Impact

Interesting info.
I believe all the schools above Iowa on the list (and some below) have won a conference championship and/or appeared in the FBS playoffs in the last 15 years. Iowa is the outlier.
Seems counter to the perception that Iowa doesn't have the talent of the elite schools. Apparently, we do.
I don't know if it's that we have the same talent as elite schools, but it's very apparent that the Iowa staff is running the ship in a way that better prepares guys for the NFL. This could be a good thing in that it probably helps recruiting better players.

But it also doesn't necessarily help win college games at the same level as those other schools.

I don't know if it's that we have the same talent as elite schools, but it's very apparent that the Iowa staff is running the ship in a way that better prepares guys for the NFL. This could be a good thing in that it probably helps recruiting better players.

But it also doesn't necessarily help win college games at the same level as those other schools.

Right now I'd have to say this is the main calling card to recruits. That's what they can really sell. Many players now view any championship(s) as a bonus, with their main goal of getting to the league. Coaches used to sell championships, but we've seen the past years many players opting out of bowl games, etc.

It's a great card Iowa has.

Here is the breakdown of the B10 teams by the number of transfer portal players on their two deep lineups as of today 10/11/22:

Transfers on
Transfers on
Transfers on
2 – Deep
2 – Deep
2 – Deep
Total
Offense
Defense
Iowa
Wisconsin​
2​
4​
Northwestern​
3​
3​
Minnesota​
4​
4​
Illinois​
9​
6​
Purdue​
7​
9​
Nebraska​
8​
9​
Michigan​
1​
0​
Ohio State​
0​
2​
Penn State​
3​
3​
Maryland​
7​
6​
Rutgers​
12​
3​
Mich State​
8​
9​
Indiana​
13​
8​

Given our talent shortcomings cited on this board, the question is:
Was Iowa overconfident or unattractive?

Maybe our staff doesn’t want to shit on the players it recruited.

We all know Iowa isn’t going to pick up a transfer QB, so what other players do you feel should be replaced by a transfer, and what players who were or are in the portal do you feel we should’ve picked up for those spots?

It’s only fair to answer the question if you think we didn’t go to the portal enough.
well, players they recruited have no problem going to the porthole.

Failing to gain players through the portal doesn't outright scare me.

Losing players to the portal scares me.

Unless it's gues who have an uphill climb and a 3 year wait to get in on snaps.

Clearly, we failed to utilize the transfer portal to address what are now obvious weaknesses in our roster.
My question is why?
Did coaches not recognize the the lack of experience and/or talent?
Or were they unsuccessful in attracting any players to come to Iowa?
Does anyone on here have any insight into this situation?

Failing to gain players through the portal doesn't outright scare me.

Losing players to the portal scares me.

Unless it's gues who have an uphill climb and a 3 year wait to get in on snaps.
Losing players to the portal and then not replacing them with others through the poral is what scares me... Cause otherwise you're playing younger kids that in our system of developing them aren't ready yet...

Clearly, we failed to utilize the transfer portal to address what are now obvious weaknesses in our roster.
My question is why?
Did coaches not recognize the the lack of experience and/or talent?
Or were they unsuccessful in attracting any players to come to Iowa?
Does anyone on here have any insight into this situation?
I'd love to see an actual serious interview with KF about this topic. I don't think he'd ever share his take on it though. He'd talk in generalities and not go into it.

Some this off season were pointing out the QBs that were all bouncing around the portal and were like why wouldn't Iowa stick their hat in the ring for one? I mean 95% of them woulda been better then Petras right? But that wasn't even something he thought about doing.

I wonder if someone had told and asked KF that if bringing in a transfer QB this yr would have had Iowa beating ISU and IL this yr at this point in the season would he have done?...

I'd love to see an actual serious interview with KF about this topic. I don't think he'd ever share his take on it though. He'd talk in generalities and not go into it.

Some this off season were pointing out the QBs that were all bouncing around the portal and were like why wouldn't Iowa stick their hat in the ring for one? I mean 95% of them woulda been better then Petras right? But that wasn't even something he thought about doing.

I wonder if someone had told and asked KF that if bringing in a transfer QB this yr would have had Iowa beating ISU and IL this yr at this point in the season would he have done?...
I think the biggest issue is doing nothing about the OL and WR in the portal. Even the casual fan could see we were extremely thin and/or inexperienced in those areas, yet nothing was done to address this.
Imagine what 2 or 3 experienced OL could do to improve both our running and passing games.

I think the biggest issue is doing nothing about the OL and WR in the portal. Even the casual fan could see we were extremely thin and/or inexperienced in those areas, yet nothing was done to address this.
Imagine what 2 or 3 experienced OL could do to improve both our running and passing games.
For sure. Oline play is the #1 issue for us. Our RBs are plenty good enough that if they had a hole to run through they can do it. We've won with Petras playing as poorly as he always has. The difference being the Oline and running game were better. So yes if we could have improved upon just one thing that'd have been it for me to.

That said if we could have landed any of say the top 20-25 QBs that transfered this last yr literally any of them would have been better then Petras. (I think there were well over 50 maybe 60 qbs that did) It's insane how many bounced around and were available. It's a trend that'll be fascinating to keep track of going forward.

Think about the number of pretty good QB’s we have seen in the MAC, or on other so called “cupcakes” that have come to Kinnick.

Latest posts