Transfer portal, 2021

I

Ian Pike Hammer

Auburn's Justin Powell to transfer after injury-shortened freshman hoops season​

Mar 9, 2021
  • i

Jeff BorzelloESPN Staff Writer
Auburn freshman Justin Powell is leaving the program, he told ESPN on Tuesday.
Powell is expected to enter the transfer portal soon.
A 6-foot-6 guard from Kentucky, Powell was one of the nation's standout freshmen early in the season. He scored 26 points in back-to-back games against South Alabama and Memphis, and was shooting 44.2% from 3-point range. Through 10 games, he averaged 11.7 points, 6.1 rebounds and 4.7 assists.
Against Texas A&M on Jan. 2, however, Powell was hit in the head and suffered what coach Bruce Pearl called a "serious" concussion. He entered concussion protocol and ultimately missed the rest of the season.
Powell was an ESPN 100 prospect in the 2020 class and will be a sought-after transfer once he enters the portal.
Auburn self-imposed a postseason ban for the 2020-21 season and finished its season with a win over Mississippi State last weekend. Star guard Sharife Cooper, who became eligible two games after Powell was injured, could also leave the program -- but for a different reason; he's ranked No. 16 in ESPN's NBA draft rankings.

The only basketball portal news I want to her about is a big coming to Iowa. We have plenty of wings.

Simply my $0.02 .. ..

Since no one seems to know why this was posted here, let me try to hijack it.

I have a bet with my buddy on whether Weasy returns for his senior year. I think he will, but I understand there is growing sentiment this will be his last year. Thoughts?

I have a bet with my buddy on whether Weasy returns for his senior year. I think he will, but I understand there is growing sentiment this will be his last year. Thoughts?

I think it depends on how he and the team do this post season. If the team is fairly successful and Joe balls out a la Donte DeVincenzo style (even close to it), it would be hard for him to return. The national stage of March Madness can really help a non lottery player's draft stock.

He gone!

I think it depends on how he and the team do this post season. If the team is fairly successful and Joe balls out a la Donte DeVincenzo style (even close to it), it would be hard for him to return. The national stage of March Madness can really help a non lottery player's draft stock.

JW plays like that in the tourney ....Iowa is your National Champ.

Latest posts