Tracking 2011 class offers

Yikes...that last part was kind of condescending, don't you think Homer? Sure it was a blanket statement regarding our "soft" D, but we are routinely in situations where we are giving opposing WR's large cushions. The entire basis behind the bend but don't break philosophy is keeping things in front of you, so our corners are usually in extremely soft coverage, which I think is what the poster was referring to. I don't think it takes a higher being or hours upon hours of poring over the coaches tape to come to that conclusion.

Playing schemes we can pull off given our personnel? I think you just described about every D-1A team out there. There isn't enough job security out there as a coach to run schemes that you know your players can't or aren't good at executing.

/sorry...now back to your regularly scheduled recruiting talk

hawkfan2679 -

Iowa simply doesn't put our young/inexperienced CBs in positions where they'll get burned for the big play. Iowa would much rather make sure that the CB relies on technique and good tackling and just give up what is in front of them.

However, when the guy demonstrates clear ability and can play CONSISTENTLY within our scheme ... then all of a sudden, we allow the guy to tighten up his coverage. That is EXACTLY how we used Spievey. As a result, apart from the Indiana game in '09, very few teams dared to throw the ball in Spievey's general direction. And, as I recall, I believe that Greenwood was injured and couldn't really play in that game ... thus, that injury made us a little bit more exploitable because the CB's help wasn't guaranteed to be quite as reliable.

Similarly, Fletcher proved to be a pretty effective "lock-down" CB through much of his SR year. He played really physical ball and won most of the battles when he was playing in press coverage.

If you go back and watch what Iowa did those years, we were a bit more experienced at CB then and we used it to implement press coverage more when we wanted to.

Of course, it's true that we still played most of the time in our base set ... where our guys are in zone coverage. However, even then, the windows of the zone get closed down VERY quickly ... and the windows were pretty narrow back then. As a result, we were gaining A TON of picks! That's the benefit of the philosophy ... it often equates to A TON of picks for the D.

Yikes...that last part was kind of condescending, don't you think Homer? Sure it was a blanket statement regarding our "soft" D, but we are routinely in situations where we are giving opposing WR's large cushions. The entire basis behind the bend but don't break philosophy is keeping things in front of you, so our corners are usually in extremely soft coverage, which I think is what the poster was referring to.

And, BTW, I had EVERY INTENTION of sounding condescending in that post.

The problem is that Iowa hasn't always had the experience level and/or talent in the secondary to tighten things up in coverage.

This issue isn't to just go over past Iowa game-tape ... but also to cross-correlate it with personnel. If you just go over tape as a historical trend, you'll see an undue bias favoring Iowa's CBs giving large cushion ... however, you'll also see that through much of that same duration our talent level and/or experience at CB was nominal.

For example, in 2010, Prater was playing a bit too sloppy early in the season (something he corrected towards the latter part of the season). And, to go along with the above ... Hyde was in just his first year as a starter ... thus, he was obviously going to be prone to make more errors. As a result, the coaches obviously were going to scheme things to keep him within his "comfort zone."

Besides, Iowa's biggest issue on D through much of the season were injuries at LB ... and that ended up killing us in coverage.

Last edited:
yes from what we hear, Price is intending to become a Buckeye..

I'm ok with this (yes I would've been happy if he was a hawk too) but Iowa already has 2 mike linebackers in this class (Spears and Alston) so I don't think it's a huge need in this class. Also still a lot of guys in this class that project to LB if they don't fit as the TE tag

Coble (If TE doesn't work out), Spears, Alston, Orloff, and Fisher

Don't forget perhaps Derby goes to defense. Lots of LBs

yes from what we hear, Price is intending to become a Buckeye..

Well at the very least, I'm glad he's picking one before neither had room for him. I'd have hated to see him stuck going somewhere hhe really didn't want to go.

Cardale may find a way into OSU's class but its 50/50 at best. In no way is Cardale a WR, doesn't have the speed or quickness, QB all the way.

Cardale may find a way into OSU's class but its 50/50 at best. In no way is Cardale a WR, doesn't have the speed or quickness, QB all the way.

Any chance he would get a shot at TE. At 6'5" 230 already he could certainly grow into a big TE.

Any chance he would get a shot at TE. At 6'5" 230 already he could certainly grow into a big TE.
I would think its unlikely. He has a huge upside at QB but it may take 2-3 years for him to harness that ability. I also don't believe he has any interest in switching positions....

Offer out to Jake Reed ... just updated. He's still listed as a "soft Indiana Verbal."

Boise assistant backs out of his announced hire at Indiana and decides to return to Boise as OC, then several former Michigan assistants are announced to run things for the Indiana offense........you could see why this might be a little unsettling for a prospect.

I see Reed is projected as a TE or DE.

RT @KyleNeddenriep: Columbus North coach Tim Bless said tight end and Indiana commit Jake Reed will visit Iowa next weekend. He has official to IU… | Columbus, Indiana LocalSpur - News, Yellow Page Listings, Events and Local Tweets for Columbus

Probably not a shock to most, but Sherrard Harrington just committed to Colorado today accord to Twitter posts......

According to hawkeyeinsider.com

Carl Williams a saftey from Florida had his offer pulled because Iowa has that area of need filled.

Cyrus K is not visiting anymore on the 21st. Some people already figured this but it's just now confirmed.

Don't worry none of what I said is premium info...

According to hawkeyeinsider.com

Carl Williams a saftey from Florida had his offer pulled because Iowa has that area of need filled.

Cyrus K is not visiting anymore on the 21st. Some people already figured this but it's just now confirmed.

Don't worry none of what I said is premium info...

It is to us, HawkeyeBA! :D